Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The points and miles blog business model

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
We'll never know and the bloggers themselves have no reason to be transparent nor honest about it...even after they sell.
I would think in most cases their sales contracts are confidential, so they are contractually obligated NOT to be transparent.

But a good hint is always the selling price of TPG's various houses, for a start.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:11 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Raffles
No. I am saying if you monetise hard you could do that. Ads are a fraction. Do not underestimate what you can get for direct ad sales though. People will pay to reach high earning business travellers. College card churners, not so much.

Nomadic Matt for eg now seems to make more money teaching people how to travel blog than he does from his actual blog.

it’s relativley easy to be successful once or for a little while. Much much harder to sustain it. That’s why many people in the online monetization space go quickly from doing it to making money showing others the ‘secret’ to success in the space. @:-)

We just passed a million in revenue in a little over a year on our FBA side gig and I think all the time how much easier it would be to ‘sell the secret saice’ than deal with one more damn Chinese manufacturer...
Old May 2, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by Renes Points
I have been a full time blogger for almost 7 years. When I speak, you should listen.

Again, you simply have no idea what you are talking about. Let this one go.
The only thing you do is that Delta blog?
Old May 2, 2018, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
M&P blogger revenue is a notorious black box.Credit card companies like it that way. Don't want their new customers to know how much they are worth/expected to spend for having the card.
Rene is making the claim that mid-low level travel bloggers are pulling in $100k. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but a low level blogger doesn't have a relationship with any credit card companies correct?
Old May 2, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Rene is making the claim that mid-low level travel bloggers are pulling in $100k. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but a low level blogger doesn't have a relationship with any credit card companies correct?
There are those with direct relationships, those with indirect relationships, and those with no relationships.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
There are those with direct relationships, those with indirect relationships, and those with no relationships.
Correct. I cannot get links directly from the banks nor even from the larger affiliate programs. And there are a bunch of blogs that got booted from the BankRate program last week. Bankrate thinning the blogger herd today....who will survive....

But there are other indirect programs I could work with if I wanted. I don't, but I could.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:44 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by sbm12
Correct. I cannot get links directly from the banks nor even from the larger affiliate programs. And there are a bunch of blogs that got booted from the BankRate program last week. Bankrate thinning the blogger herd today....who will survive....

But there are other indirect programs I could work with if I wanted. I don't, but I could.
And that linked thread demonstrates my black box assertion. Not a peep from those booted from Bankrate.
Old May 3, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by josephstern
I would think in most cases their sales contracts are confidential, so they are contractually obligated NOT to be transparent.
Years have passed since the first sell outs...and they still won't talk about it. I thought the obligation was to keep quiet for some years...Or is it for their lifetime?

Lol on the TPG's home prices as an indicator.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Years have passed since the first sell outs...and they still won't talk about it. I thought the obligation was to keep quiet for some years...Or is it for their lifetime?

Lol on the TPG's home prices as an indicator.
Brian was working for a big finance firm, granted, in recruiting not in the business area, for years before. Given where he went to school he likely didn't have a lot of student debt, and given what his expenses were at the time when he was starting the blog (sharing an apartment in brooklyn and not living the high roller lifestyle), he likely had substantial savings before the conversion of his site to a financial advertisement product.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
However, a low-life blogger may have relationships with several CC companies!
gpapadop and Adam1222 like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
However, a low-life blogger may have relationships with several CC companies!
Same ones that demand to be listened to when speaking?
josephstern and Adam1222 like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I hope he invests in a new domain. The majority of blogs utilizing the Boarding Area platform sell credit cards
Old May 11, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
It's not that easy. I wouldn't be able to blog without support from BA, whether I write about credit cards or not (I don't).
Old May 11, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
It's not that easy. I wouldn't be able to blog without support from BA, whether I write about credit cards or not (I don't).
Why not?
Old May 11, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Why not?
Considering Randy always says he has no input on the content of blogs and BA is just a vessel, that seems odd.
Of course, if one has original content they would be able to blog without BA. They might not get as many affiliate links but that is a choice a blogger makes. Making money off of selling credit cards is not an inherent part of blogging.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.