Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The points and miles blog business model

The points and miles blog business model

Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by 84fiero
It's an apt comparison to broadcast TV (or radio even more so) in fact. It's not like a shoe salesman, or insurance, or a car dealership, etc. where an overt purchase must be made in order for the consumer to "consume" the offered product. A radio station, broadcast TV station, or blogger is putting their product out there for the world, with no direct exchange of cash from the consumer to the seller necessary, with income indirectly from advertisers.

To go into any of those types of businesses you'd have to realize that some percentage of listeners/viewers (perhaps many) will fast forward the commercials, change the radio station, or block ads. Although anecdotally, most people I know don't use blockers or even know what they are, whereas I don't know anyone who won't fast forward or TV commercials (or go to the bathroom, get a snack, etc during commercials).

While I understand the feeling/frustration of the bloggers, I think "morally wrong" is a bit much - that term, to me, goes with things in life much more serious than web ads.

I will turn off blockers for good quality sites that rely on ads (and the ads aren't intrusive)...though for the likes of VFTW, OMAAT, MMS, etc? No way - they get plenty of income from other means IMHO. If that means I'm a bad guy, then so be it.

Besides, aren't we reminded on occasion by some folks on here that the P&M bloggers are just doing this for love of the hobby, to help out friends & relatives, etc?
Where do you draw the line?

What about downloading bootleg music or movies?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Even my wife doesn't read my site, you won't hear that nonsense from me :-)
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Raffles
Tell us what you do for a living, we'll think of a scenario where your customers can suddenly find a way to avoid having to pay you for whatever you do, then you can tell us how you'd feel about it. Deal?

Haven't you just described "travel hacking"?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Where do you draw the line?

What about downloading bootleg music or movies?
Bootleg music and movies are different business models, the consumer is supposed to have to tender payment before possessing a copy of an album/movie or viewing a movie in a theater...same as buying shoes or a car.

"Free content" sites relying solely on ads are taking a gamble through that business model. It's their choice and risk to use such a model. Though the biggest P&M bloggers seem to have gone beyond relying on ads for substantive income. But like I said I'm happy to support certain ones, not just by turning off blockers but also using their affiliate links for services, CCs, etc. but don't feel compelled to do so on a blanket basis across the web.

There are a couple of ventures out there which provide P&M type info such as this on a subscription/membership only basis.

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Haven't you just described "travel hacking"?
@:-)

For those who view using blockers as morally wrong - do you not fly mistake fares, manufacture spending, add your dog as an authorized user, fuel dump, use hidden city ticketing, etc.?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Raffles
Tell us what you do for a living, we'll think of a scenario where your customers can suddenly find a way to avoid having to pay you for whatever you do, then you can tell us how you'd feel about it. Deal?
I'm an IT consultant, don't worry, if my company actually charged for all the work that is done by me and others like me, we'd have no customers because it would not be affordable for clients to get the service we provide.

I feel fine about it. Next question?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I don't know about any of you, but as the recent recipient of a full frontal lobotomy, I'm quite enjoying the blog where a stuffed monkey gives me travel advice.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I don't know about any of you, but as the recent recipient of a full frontal lobotomy, I'm quite enjoying the blog where a stuffed monkey gives me travel advice.
​​​​​​
I made a similar comment when that blog first surfaced and didn't get the best reception here. My opinion has not changed.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:13 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I'm an IT consultant, don't worry, if my company actually charged for all the work that is done by me and others like me, we'd have no customers because it would not be affordable for clients to get the service we provide.

I feel fine about it. Next question?
I always negotiate a fixed price contracts with IT vendors. Then treat them the way IT vendors used to treat me on T&M contracts.

Karma is great!
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
​​​​​​
I made a similar comment when that blog first surfaced and didn't get the best reception here. My opinion has not changed.
I was ok with the idea of the monkey being the guy's mascot. But I just looked again and all reader questions are being answered by the monkey. Which is bizarre. I'm surprised any readers have the shame to post a question for the benefit of a stuffed monkey to answer!
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
LOL #priceless
Old Feb 18, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I always negotiate a fixed price contracts with IT vendors. Then treat them the way IT vendors used to treat me on T&M contracts.

Karma is great!
Hah, I'll let the CEO know!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EP
Did Ford write another article???

Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

related >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post28110252
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:59 pm

I feel like I am in an Alt-right subreddit here..
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kingrat
I feel like I am in an Alt-right subreddit here..
Thank you for contributing to the dialogue.

If you don't like this free content, feel free to ignore. No need to troll. I'd also encourage you to actually read the content of this thread, as a lot of it is pretty substantive. A lot of people don't understand the business model of points/mile blogs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.