Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The points and miles blog business model

The points and miles blog business model

Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:49 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gpapadop
I think we need a new blog writing about bloggers and metrics and affiliate stuff. Seriously.@:-)
Or maybe a special series on TBB? You could hire someone to do it for you
Old Jun 8, 2013, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
FlexOffers look at your Alexa ranking
I am experimenting with using the paid Alexa service ($10/mth, first month free) to see if it has any impact on ranking.

Because Alexa is basically a US thing (I have never, ever met a single Brit who has the toolbar) my ranking is very low. I am interested to see what happens to it once they have accurate traffic numbers.

I will report back after the three weeks it appears to take them to gather the data! I'll probably cancel it then, so hopefully I will be max $10 out of pocket.

(PS. Never knew Amazon owned Alexa)
Old Jun 8, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I did not know either that Amazon owned Alexa! You learn something new every day.

If anyone wants to do a guest blog about this stuff with only payment being a backlink send it to me and if I think it is worthy of being published I post it. If not, I delete and no one knows about it.

I think there may a (blog) market for this type of blog. First post "Who are the major affiliate companies and what do they look for?" Followed by "The affiliate companies that do not require you to sell your soul"----> Send this to me asap if they exist that it lol.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 9:54 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by gpapadop
I did not know either that Amazon owned Alexa! You learn something new every day.

If anyone wants to do a guest blog about this stuff with only payment being a backlink send it to me and if I think it is worthy of being published I post it. If not, I delete and no one knows about it.

I think there may a (blog) market for this type of blog. First post "Who are the major affiliate companies and what do they look for?" Followed by "The affiliate companies that do not require you to sell your soul"----> Send this to me asap if they exist that it lol.
I will write one for you, but only if you post it under your own byline and claim you put 80 hours of research into it.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Seriously, I wrote this and then deleted it since I was getting too much flack about my post length that week.... I'll put something up I think as I find the subject interesting too. Might take a little while to catch up on the other blogs first...
Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
kokonutz: Deal^

brooklymatt: Make an exception for this subject. You have a free pass to make it as long as...necessary!
Old Jun 8, 2013, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Seriously, I wrote this and then deleted it since I was getting too much flack about my post length that week.... I'll put something up I think as I find the subject interesting too. Might take a little while to catch up on the other blogs first...
Your posts are too long... LOL either my attention span is too short but I stop reading after the table things
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I was reading this article on linkedin and thought it was very well put:
"10 Social Media Tips for Authors" http://rdd.me/nggecu3t

Particularly relevant to travel bloggers:
Act like NPR

NPR provides great content 365 days a year. A few days a year it runs pledge drives. No one I know likes the pledge drives, but we tolerate them — and some of us even give money. Why? Because NPR has earned the right to promote its pledge drives by providing such great content. This is a good model for authors too: Provide such great content that you can promote your book when it’s done. If you do this very well, people may want to reciprocate for the value you’ve added to their lives by buying your book. So just imagine you are the producer of “Fresh Air” or “All Things Considered” and look for interesting content.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:28 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
I was reading this article on linkedin and thought it was very well put:
"10 Social Media Tips for Authors" http://rdd.me/nggecu3t

Particularly relevant to travel bloggers:
Act like NPR

NPR provides great content 365 days a year. A few days a year it runs pledge drives. No one I know likes the pledge drives, but we tolerate them — and some of us even give money. Why? Because NPR has earned the right to promote its pledge drives by providing such great content. This is a good model for authors too: Provide such great content that you can promote your book when it’s done. If you do this very well, people may want to reciprocate for the value you’ve added to their lives by buying your book. So just imagine you are the producer of “Fresh Air” or “All Things Considered” and look for interesting content.

great idea But, NPR is non profit and still needs government subsidies. Should bloggers apply for subsidies? You'll get no content
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
great idea But, NPR is non profit and still needs government subsidies. Should bloggers apply for subsidies? You'll get no content
Guy is using NPR as an analogy to make his argument clear. His post was meant for authors looking to make money.

Currently, I'm not sure that we get a lot of real content either :P.
I'm sorry to tell that I've stopped reading your blog. I found others with better signal to noise ratio.

ok, enough feeding the trolls now.

Last edited by mintcilantro; Jun 21, 2013 at 12:22 am
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro
Guy is using NPR as an analogy to make his argument clear. His post was meant for authors looking to make money.

Currently, I'm not sure that we get a lot of real content right either :P.
I'm sorry to tell that I've stopped reading your blog. I found others with better signal to noise ratio.

ok, enough feeding the trolls now.
we don't have many angries reading FTG, but for some reason, readership keeps increasing. significantly since they took my picture off the header and redesigned.

IB must be doing something right huh?

btw, you brought up NPR, not me
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:49 pm

That's not the story alexa.com tells. FT shows a downward trend. FTG is relatively flat. Compare to BoradingArea:

http://tinyurl.com/mtcgkaj
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:40 am

Agreed Forums are in trouble

Originally Posted by HikerT
That's not the story alexa.com tells. FT shows a downward trend. FTG is relatively flat. Compare to BoradingArea:

http://tinyurl.com/mtcgkaj
Why fight with the "angries" on the forums? When bloggers are much more friendly and can condense their information for the readers. Makes perfect sense to me. And the affiliate links , they just seem to bother the 1% of the 1%.

I'm not so sure about Alexa? installing toolbars, joining the site? I think the numbers by google analytics tell a truer tale.

Last edited by ingy; Jun 21, 2013 at 9:00 am
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:01 am

There are many reasons why Alexa rankings can be totally inaccurate or biased towards a certain type of website... Alexa rankings should never be looked at in a vacuum and can sometimes be totally wrong.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:13 am

Alexa isn't perfect but I'd venture to guess fairly accurate on sites they deem large enough to graph. This one tells a similar story.

http://tinyurl.com/kk4xrm3

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.