FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   Blogs vs. Boards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1459175-blogs-vs-boards.html)

milesmuncher Apr 17, 2013 7:49 am

Blogs vs. Boards

I'll start by saying that I'm very interested to see how this new forum works out

One question I've been noodling about lately is about platforms, specifically blogs vs. message boards. My question is what types of content / information / uses / purposes / etc. are better served by a blog vs. a board? Not necessarily by any specific blog or board that is out there today, but more if you were starting from scratch, what would a blog be a "better" platform for, and what would a board be a "better" platform for?

I'll start it off by saying that I think boards are better platform for group discussion, almost regardless of what the topic is. The standard comment and reply format on blogs is serviceable, but not all that great. It feels like it's better suited for a one-to-many conversation, where commenters are only talking to (and getting replies from) the blogger vs. discussing amongst themselves. That's obviously an oversimplification, but seems to be how it plays out IME.

Conversely, I think blogs as a platform are better for showcasing trip reports. I know there are some really great ones here on FT, but I don't think the message board format is ideal. Blogs have more flexibility and can be moulded to showcase content in a more attractive way IMHO.

Agree / disagree? What do you think?

kokonutz Apr 17, 2013 8:13 am

I think that once FlyerTalk gets the wiki feature fully implemented FlyerTalk will have the best of boards (conversation) as well as blogs (a single place to sum up an issue, offer or topic).

We shall see!

belfordrocks Apr 17, 2013 9:32 am

Boards - everyone contributes information, free of speech.

Blogs - repackaged information from elsewhere from the perspective of one person, criticism ignored or censored.

Take your pick.

Raffles Apr 17, 2013 10:56 am

It's not that simple. As FT has grown, it has become very scary for newcomers. Blogs are an easier way in. Now, people 'graduate' from blogs to FT although a well written blog should retain readers long term.

Blogs also get better SEO (partly because of the thing that make FT scary for newcomers - excessive acronyms that are never used in a Google search). Someone who is dipping their toe into learning more miles and points via Google will end up at a blog today. 10 years ago, when I did the same thing, I ended up here.

The strength of FT is the 'wisdom of crowds' effect, where a number of minds can work out the nuances of a deal in a way which none of the individual posters can manage. However, the net result of that is a long thread with all of the key points scattered throughout different posts. With no wikis, it takes a blog to pick up a big thread and condense an issue into an easily understandable format.

brooklynmatt Apr 17, 2013 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks (Post 20606517)
Boards - everyone contributes information, free of speech.

Blogs - repackaged information from elsewhere from the perspective of one person, criticism ignored or censored.

Take your pick.

Blogs also allow a more powerful interface to explore and explain concepts, graphics large yellow arrows and the like..

ma91pmh Apr 17, 2013 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 20606076)
I think that once FlyerTalk gets the wiki feature fully implemented FlyerTalk will have the best of boards (conversation) as well as blogs (a single place to sum up an issue, offer or topic).

We shall see!

Ding Ding Ding!

FT has shotten itself in the foot by taking years and years and years to implement a Wiki Feature (which to be clear at the time of writing is still missing)

FatWallet and SlickDeals have had this feature since time began making those far more powerful resources for beginners to understand a deal. When I see something on either of those sites I can typically get a reasonable understanding instantly by reading the wiki. On FT you have read through pages of pages and then you can't find it... ask a question ... and get told your a numb-skull for not using search :rolleyes:

That said well organized blogs can still have a leg up on bulletin boards in terms of being able to put key and commonly used resources into a simple menu system. Whereas on the BB you still have to find the right thread.

oliver2002 Apr 17, 2013 3:17 pm

I'm yet to find a blog that has an in depth comprehensive section explaining things. Instead you have an adaptation of the wordpress engine (and similar generics) to agglomerate posts. There have been attempts to write entire websites, but that effort is bound for failure as things change constantly, especially if you aim to have a substantial coverage of the essential topics. I doubt there is a better way to collect the info by and from volunteers than vbb (and its generic copies). Wikis in itself help, but lack the discussion. vb with wiki maybe a solution. I have applied a few wikiposts to larger threads in the FT M&M and Eurobonus forums as a trial with decent results so far, but doubt its the jaw dropping 'wow' solution to a bb kind of platform.

ma91pmh Apr 17, 2013 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 20608456)
I'm yet to find a blog that has an in depth comprehensive section explaining things. Instead you have an adaptation of the wordpress engine (and similar generics) to agglomerate posts. There have been attempts to write entire websites, but that effort is bound for failure as things change constantly, especially if you aim to have a substantial coverage of the essential topics. I doubt there is a better way to collect the info by and from volunteers than vbb (and its generic copies). Wikis in itself help, but lack the discussion. vb with wiki maybe a solution. I have applied a few wikiposts to larger threads in the FT M&M and Eurobonus forums as a trial with decent results so far, but doubt its the jaw dropping 'wow' solution to a bb kind of platform.

I respectfully disagree. Not that I want to be his number 1 fan or anything, but MMS posts on stuff like Amazon Payments is massively more useful than the thread in MilesBuzz. All the key info brought together in one easy to find spot (under credit cards/credit card resources) and it is easier to find (#4 on google search of amazon payments just below actual amazon entries - FT thread does not even show on first page of results)

pgary Apr 17, 2013 3:25 pm

How about blogs vs. boards vs. websites?

oliver2002 Apr 17, 2013 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh (Post 20608507)
I respectfully disagree. Not that I want to be his number 1 fan or anything, but MMS posts on stuff like Amazon Payments is massively more useful than the thread in MilesBuzz. All the key info brought together in one easy to find spot (under credit cards/credit card resources) and it is easier to find (#4 on google search of amazon payments just below actual amazon entries - FT thread does not even show on first page of results)

I'm sure MMS has highlights, just as FTG has wise advice on credit scores et al. But thats it, each has their niche.If I want to know if MMS neat advice on using amazon payments to spend gift cards (posted in January '13) is still valid, I could post a comment and hope the author or some kind soul will reply to it or post on a bb and get a (probably) quicker response since it has more eyeballs reading the manufactured spend section?

Astrophsx Apr 17, 2013 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh (Post 20608507)

The real question is... say I start a thread on a deal like Amazon Payments, then I update the wiki daily after reading the latest posts with the newest data points and information. There is still going to be a % of the community that is mad that someone is spelling it out... I think it's why many bloggers have never fully spelled it out.

The one thing that I would like to see more of on blogs is evidence that they've tested things out and not just give hypothetical. Frequentmiler is fairly good at testing things out and then posting about them. Though in the case of using TopCashBack it seems not everyone has gotten the same results.

TWA44 Apr 18, 2013 2:04 pm

Can someone explain to a newbie how the wiki capability on FT will work? Does it mean that I will be able to go to a thread that is huge but promises the best links to XXX CC offer and find that all links there will have been updated to actually be the best, current, operating link? I recently got AA cards and had to read umpteen pages to actually find the current, best, working link for the AA CITI and AA Visa. Went back 6 weeks later to get the links for my husband and all the ones I used no longer work. So I guess I need to reread much of it again.... :(

Is there a better way now?
If not, will FT wikis make it better?
If there is, how will FT wikis make it even better? And what can I do until the wikis come, to find the best CC link now?

Thanks for any light you can shed on the topic.

oliver2002 Apr 19, 2013 4:04 am

Wikis are live across the FT board right now with edit permission (for now) only with Mods and Ambassadors. More here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...yertalk-2.html

Edit capability for all is in the works once the bugs are sorted.

TWA44 Apr 19, 2013 11:46 am

Thanks, Oliver2002. Sounds very promising! Can you point me to a thread that has a wiki already?

oliver2002 Apr 19, 2013 12:29 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-merged-q.html

TWA44 Apr 19, 2013 1:10 pm

Quite helpful. Thanks. So if the info is short and sweet, it will all just appear in a wiki post but if it is more complicated, needing multiple links and explanations, the wiki post will have a link to a full-fledged wiki as one would find in Wikipedia.

From the thread you directed me to before, it looks like it may be up and running in June. I look forward to it. Too bad my next AOR is sooner than that ;) ! But if they are maintained as it is hoped, it should be enormously useful for finding the most current/correct info on a topic. Thanks again for your help and thanks to all the FTers who are making the wikis happen.

jatink129 Apr 22, 2013 5:04 pm

I can hardly wait for the WIKI implementation.
I hope we will be able to cut down on questions like "Does this work" "Is it still live?" etc, by about 65%.

SkiAdcock Apr 24, 2013 7:59 am

Originally Posted by jatink129 (Post 20635267)
I can hardly wait for the WIKI implementation.

Your wish is granted. Wiki is now open to all FTers w/ 90 days/90 posts.

Cheers.

ma91pmh Apr 24, 2013 8:10 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 20644499)

Cheers.

YAY!!!!

jatink129 Apr 24, 2013 8:41 am

Cheers.

Thank you!
I did notice it earlier on in the drop down menu, and came here to confirm that I wasn't day-dreaming. :p

milesmuncher Apr 24, 2013 2:45 pm

Cheers.

This is great ^^