Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther
You could do even better than that!

1. First agree to split the payout.

2. Then once they've paid, send them a note and let them know you will report them to their affiliate company for providing you with a kickback for using their link unless they give you the other half of the payout.

3. Once they've paid that, tell them you want 10% of their take every month or else you report them and they'll get zero.

4. When they can't pay, threaten to break their legs.

5. Begin charging them exorbitant rates of interest when they fall behind on the payments. Just don't break their hands or else they can't blog, because if they can't blog, they can't earn.

#LittleKoko'sCollegeFund
That's really funny! Let me you know if you need the services of my cousin Vinny

LittleKoko will be fine^
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I do think it's news-worthy that Virgin Atlantic became a UR partner.

But even as I heard the news I was thinking, 'lol, I can guarantee the blogs are going to be ALL OVER THIS reporting the news and cramming in as many affiliate links as possible.'
Well props to lucky. He managed to report the news without a single affiliate link. ^

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...nsfer-partner/
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
Well props to lucky. He managed to report the news without a single affiliate link. ^

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...nsfer-partner/
Small steps are at least steps forward.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Yet they tell people without businesses to get business credit cards to then make non-business related purchases.

Hey here's a business credit card with a $5,000 spending requirement, but don't worry... you can go buy gift cards to meet that spending requirement!

Lets face it. Without manufactured spending I'm going to guess that they would stand to lose a fairly decent % of credit card referrals. Also, I would think that a majority of these trip reports could not be possible without these spending methods.
Well obviously they only recommend things that they would do of course...
Old Apr 8, 2013, 7:41 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Yet they tell people without businesses to get business credit cards to then make non-business related purchases.

Hey here's a business credit card with a $5,000 spending requirement, but don't worry... you can go buy gift cards to meet that spending requirement!

Lets face it. Without manufactured spending I'm going to guess that they would stand to lose a fairly decent % of credit card referrals. Also, I would think that a majority of these trip reports could not be possible without these spending methods.
Well you have to figure that at least a few of the manufactured spending disciples are going to screw the pooch and end up carrying balances, missing payments, generally doing the things that make CC companies tons of dough.

Still, it is weird that the CC companies pay affiliate fees to bloggers who specialize in teaching people how to take full advantage (sometimes aka 'abusing') the CC companies' offerings.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Well you have to figure that at least a few of the manufactured spending disciples are going to screw the pooch and end up carrying balances, missing payments, generally doing the things that make CC companies tons of dough.

Still, it is weird that the CC companies pay affiliate fees to bloggers who specialize in teaching people how to take full advantage (sometimes aka 'abusing') the CC companies' offerings.
The banks bank on some credit card holders to screw up ABSOLUTELY! Not weird at all, there is a portion who do this to continue to make it profitable for the bank and the disciplined ones like us!
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: A few

Originally Posted by gpapadop
The banks bank on some credit card holders to screw up ABSOLUTELY! Not weird at all, there is a portion who do this to continue to make it profitable for the bank and the disciplined ones like us!

Good for us! So my mileage earning is being subsidized by the financially incapable. I am fine with that. Survival of the fittest

Seriously I do not share gpapadop's sympathy for the dopes who run up debts/miss payments etc. You gotta learn to fend for yourself.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Read the comments on a typical newbie-oriented blog and this quickly becomes unsurprising...
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:36 am

Doesn't everyone think it's a little strange that the top 5 cashback cards that TPG recommends are all affiliate links?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:39 am

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:14 am

Good grief, what horrible advice. At best 2 or 3 in his top 5 are valid. Why would he recommend Capital One Venture? Minimal sign up bonus and 3x credit pulls. That's just irresponsible blogging.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:39 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Ok, seriously though, I AM going to apply for a UR card this week...just met my bonus threshold so need a new one. All I ask is for $100 for going through someone's affiliate portal.

There must be some desperate blog out there struggling to make their quota!
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Ok, seriously though, I AM going to apply for a UR card this week...just met my bonus threshold so need a new one. All I ask is for $100 for going through someone's affiliate portal.

There must be some desperate blog out there struggling to make their quota!
1. You didn't say which UR card, but for the record there are no consumer UR cards paying that much currently.
2. There are no hard quotas that you have to exceed.
3. A blogger would have to be nuts to threaten their business dealing with kickbacks today.

Cheers.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by HikerT:20556701
Good grief, what horrible advice. At best 2 or 3 in his top 5 are valid. Why would he recommend Capital One Venture? Minimal sign up bonus and 3x credit pulls. That's just irresponsible blogging.
But Alec Baldwin recommends it, lol. Anyone pushing that card has no credibility IMHO.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: Platinum Sky Pimp
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Doesn't everyone think it's a little strange that the top 5 cashback cards that TPG recommends are all affiliate links?
How many non affiliate links out of 45 are there?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.