Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: Platinum Sky Pimp
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I would have thought the best piece of advice would be to not get a credit card at all if you are a student and only abroad for 3 months. You could get a Charles Schwab checking account for free and not be charged any ATM or international banking fees. He does suggest being an authorized user on a parent's premium card that had no forex (this probably should have been his first suggestion).
But that would eliminate any possibility of getting referral fee. There isn't one post on link farmers blog without CC links. He can write about grandmother's funeral or dogs on cruise ship and still manage to plug-in 5-10 credit card links. Pathetic.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by fishdance
But that would eliminate any possibility of getting referral fee. There isn't one post on link farmers blog without CC links. He can write about grandmother's funeral or dogs on cruise ship and still manage to plug-in 5-10 credit card links. Pathetic.
oh no you didn't just bring up his dog.... Miles is the cutest puppy ever
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by jammanxc
I had no idea he had one. Ok substitute dog for cat, hamster or chimpanzee and it'd still have 10 + chase/citi links.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by milesmuncher
It was the Fish McBites, wasn't it?
No it wasn't, it was the axe products.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Lucky also seems to have hit the niche of finding ways to milk the US DM loophole of flying to Asia via Europe in as many ways as possible on *A

That said, if you have a certain travel pattern you become the expert of that route. Venturing outside that niche and writing something readable about it (that people want to read) must be pretty tough...
How is that a loophole?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 3:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by yerffej201
How is that a loophole?
Because it's 10.000miles less than starting from Europe......
Old Mar 24, 2013, 4:07 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

I would have thought the best piece of advice would be to not get a credit card at all if you are a student and only abroad for 3 months. You could get a Charles Schwab checking account for free and not be charged any ATM or international banking fees. He does suggest being an authorized user on a parent's premium card that had no forex (this probably should have been his first suggestion).
I actually did recently get my daughter a credit card for her semester abroad.

In the end I got her to get a Pentagon Federal Credit Union Visa. It has no forex and is chip and pin.

'Course that would make a horrible blog entry since there would be no fees earned for that kind of referral.

Luckily I use flyertalk for advice like this, not blogs that have ulterior motives.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...dy-abroad.html

^
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by jammanxc
No...MY puppy is the cutest, but Miles comes in the top five :-:
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I actually did recently get my daughter a credit card for her semester abroad.

In the end I got her to get a Pentagon Federal Credit Union Visa. It has no forex and is chip and pin.

'Course that would make a horrible blog entry since there would be no fees earned for that kind of referral.

Luckily I use flyertalk for advice like this, not blogs that have ulterior motives.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...dy-abroad.html

^

Whaaaaat? You didn't get her MB Amex Platinum or Business Ink Card? Or Used your own Ink card to buy Visa Gift cards at Office Depot? How about Citi Thank You or at least Chase Southwest card ( Personal and Business ) to get free companion ticket ?

BTW, I wonder if linkoffers considers this kind of ref link spam as cookie stuffing.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS 75k
I believe you are pulling what he said out of context. While I'm not a big fan of referral links, TPG suggests getting the Freedom card with Chase and then down the road to hit up other cards that have a UR signing bonus since the points from each card can be combined.
Fair point, but how can he possibly recommend the Chase Freedom card for a student studying abroad? It has a 3% fx fee.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 84fiero
And VFTW revisits (for the umpteenth time) the only destination that matters, the Maldives
In all fairness, apparently the only place anyone wants to burn Hilton for, pre-3/28 devaluation, is the Maldives (well, with maybe Tahiti and Ko Samui in distant second place).

$500 plane ride for the "last mile" and $20 drinks, expensive everything? No thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Why some travel bloggers have writers block:http://thetravelhack.com/blog/the-hi...s-of-blogging/
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:54 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
In the context of this thread Gary's blog post this morning literally made me lol. The money quotes:

If you’re already an expert, stop reading this post now. You already know everything in it, and I don’t want you to waste your time. You won’t be able to get your 45 seconds back. If you have 6 or more credit cards open, this post is not for you.
And in the credit card space that recommendation is the Chase Sapphire Preferred card which has been probably the all-around most lucrative credit cards in the market for the past two years. Back in November 2011 I called it the king of credit cards.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred card offers referral credit to me if you apply and are approved using my link, which I greatly appreciate.
I suppose this goes to the notion that the blogs are meant to appeal to the fertile, un-turned soil of newbies.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
In all fairness, apparently the only place anyone wants to burn Hilton for, pre-3/28 devaluation, is the Maldives (well, with maybe Tahiti and Ko Samui in distant second place).

$500 plane ride for the "last mile" and $20 drinks, expensive everything? No thanks.
If you have the Hilton HHonors Reserve card (insert referral link here), you'll have free HH Gold which gets you free breakfast and free happy hour at the Conrad Maldives.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:54 am

JS is back today with an eye-popping 23 referral links in one post. About the incredibly mundane topic of gas station cashback, which can be answered succiently in two words: PenFed Platinum. Well done.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA, LM // HH, CP

besides the point breaks, it seems like I'm seeing a lot of credit card pushing today =o
is Monday the day newbies check random flying blogs?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.