Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by satz
One blogger has a post today explaining when to use the Chase Freedom and when to use the Amex Premier Gold.

He managed to stick in a dozen referral links. Unless his readers cannot tell whether a 2x or a 5x bonus is better, the post is marginally useful.
Its a freaking link farm with chase and amex ref codes at this point. He used to have some good information but not its "hey, must have credit cards for you" and "Update on my application for cards that are good for you". Jebus
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: LOL, ROFL & ...
I unsubscribed from Darius' Million Mile Secrets when he added referral links.

Why?

Very simple. Before he added referral links he righteously promoted the fact he did not include referral links and overtly hinted that those who do should be ashamed. I saw the writing on the wall, and sure enough, he changed his tune.

I don't regret the decision, especially after finding out he stuck another knife in the coffin of a debit card / money order earning opportunity.

There are plenty of other blogs with new an unique content, and his sure isn't one of them.

Also, I couldn't take the ridiculous bow tie photo any longer. It reminded me too much of Matthew Lesko (the guy in the question mark suit with a bow tie unscrupulously selling "Free Money" books)

Last edited by ftizzy; Aug 22, 2012 at 9:17 am Reason: added bow tie complaint
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: A few
I think it's unreasonable to critique based on a bow tie and consider this more of a personal attack than constructive criticism

I think to Daraius' credit he does the best job of at least trying to give honest card reviews and show alternative better offers. I don't think having credit card referrals is bad - as long as it doesn't become one long pimp show.

I think there are other blogs out there and we all know who they are that have basically become shill advertising for Chase and Amex and other products. I don't think MMS is at this level
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
II think there are other blogs out there and we all know who they are that have basically become shill advertising for Chase and Amex and other products.
Hum....you only have a post every few days when you have original content AND you evaluated the much-hyped-but-really-just-meh Hilton Reserve card. And...seriously....Tesla @:-) (although I disagree on the Chrsyler cars, tyvm!).

I'll bookmark as original, well thought out content.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by ftizzy
It reminded me too much of Matthew Lesko (the guy in the question mark suit with a bow tie unscrupulously selling "Free Money" books)
FWIW, I've met and spent a fair amount of time w/ Lesko one day, he was really pretty nice and reasonable. Offered to mail me a copy of his book (which I did not take him up on).
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: LOL, ROFL & ...
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I think it's unreasonable to critique based on a bow tie and consider this more of a personal attack than constructive criticism

I think to Daraius' credit he does the best job of at least trying to give honest card reviews and show alternative better offers. I don't think having credit card referrals is bad - as long as it doesn't become one long pimp show.

I think there are other blogs out there and we all know who they are that have basically become shill advertising for Chase and Amex and other products. I don't think MMS is at this level
LOL, you've got to be kidding me. It's hardly a personal attack, I don't know the guy at all.

But to take your bait, lets use some constructive criticism. He should remove the photo, or replace the bow tie with a necktie. That better?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:26 am

Lol, what a circus today with the new SP offer ending. Can't wait for the announcements of the new offer. This is almost as good as the British Airways 100K ending, last chance, wait it's not ending for another month, ok now it's ending, this is you last chance, really it's your last chance, etc.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:42 am

LOL, you've got to be kidding me. It's hardly a personal attack, I don't know the guy at all.
While I'm sure your intention wasn't personal, it could feel like a comment on a personal characteristic (how he dresses) vs. the blog content. I understand it becomes a blurry line because the picture is on the blog, but I think most people would feel hurt by comments about their personal photo (and I'm fairly certain bloggers are human).

This does makes me laugh because back in the day, when a supervisor would go on a rant about an employee ("and..and..and...and") I often would wait until s/he paused for a breath and then very seriously ask "and does his mother dress him funny too?" At that point we would then focus on the one or maybe two major issues about the employee's behavior that needed to change.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
On second thought, maybe you are right. Maybe I shouldn't have said a thing.

[...edit...]

Someday we would all love to find out why??? If you don't like them, don't read them. It really is that plain and simple.
That is the funny thing about these posters. It is like Howard Stern-people call all the time and say how much they hate him but they still listen day after day. Posters here will say they no longer read blogs or they quit this blogger or that blogger only to later quote them word for word of what they wrote recently. I myself do think that bloggers can give a little too much info out at times but then it is a service oriented business that requires them to give out info that their readers can use.
I myself have been in a position that I was helped by MM with obtaining the 2 browser AA cards. I was denied one of them and he gave me the name of an upper mgnt that approved the card instantly. Yes that is the same dreaded MM that gave out the WM Mo deal.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:27 pm

I really don't get the "you don't like what they say so don't read them" mentality.

As in politics, science, or any area, reading that which you don't agree with is very important. Maybe it's less important here, but if it's part of your world, it pays to be knowledgeable about it.

Further, no one I've seen complains they are "forced" to read these blogs. Why do we need to remind people that they can just not read something? It's really not pertinent to this discussion and it misses the point entirely.

The real issue many posters here take with these blogs is that they are publicizing issues and deals. Can we make that distinction, and stop with the "so stop reading these blogs" comments?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy

Someday we would all love to find out why??? If you don't like them, don't read them. It really is that plain and simple.
Maybe they need to stay abreast of what deal might die next.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by rdaven2003
That is the funny thing about these posters. It is like Howard Stern-people call all the time and say how much they hate him but they still listen day after day. Posters here will say they no longer read blogs or they quit this blogger or that blogger only to later quote them word for word of what they wrote recently. I myself do think that bloggers can give a little too much info out at times but then it is a service oriented business that requires them to give out info that their readers can use.
I myself have been in a position that I was helped by MM with obtaining the 2 browser AA cards. I was denied one of them and he gave me the name of an upper mgnt that approved the card instantly. Yes that is the same dreaded MM that gave out the WM Mo deal.
There is no hate. Just like some news portal - some things you like to read more than others. I still visit points guy site once in a while waiting for something useful like transferring avios to iberia in order to avoid high BA fees, but so far its been nothing but ref-o-rama of his chase and amex links.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MM56
Can you point me towards some form of documentation that says this is not true, and that I am misinformed?

If this was in fact the FTC rule, why on earth would any for profit blog post "advertisement" or "sponsored" on every post that is being paid for by a sponsor? Why wouldn't they just put a disclaimer somewhere on their site and leave it be, drawing attention away from the fact that they are advertising. Today, Gizmodo posted this, a sponsored post and clearly labeled it so. http://tinyurl.com/crf44nk
You know what--you might be right. I've tried to find some newer FTC guidelines that would prove you wrong, and I have actually found them--to the detriment of my own argument.

This blog states that FTC made some revisions (concerning bloggers in Para(s) 255.1, example 5 and 255.5, example 7) in May 2012. This is how the blogger interprets them:

1. The FTC can fine both the blogger and the company for not disclosing an arrangement where the company compensates the blogger for a review, positive mention, or sponsored post. Wouldn’t that be a bummer, to not mention your arrangement in the post and then find it costs you a new client? So not worth it.

First, let’s define an “arrangement.” According to the FTC, compensation happens when you:

Receive a free product and review it
Link to the product’s website and receive a commission (called an affiliate program)
Receive money, product or services for posting about a product
Review a product or service that comes from an advertiser on your site...

2. The definition of “disclosure” is more specific. It’s not enough to make a general disclosure on your About page anymore. The discloser must be contained in the post itself. “So long as the disclosure clearly and conspicuously conveys to the reader the relationship between the blogger and the advertiser, the disclosure will be adequate,” states the article. That means you can write something as simple as, “Company ABC gave me this product to review” and you’re done."
By the way that's an interesting article there. Good read.

Now, unlike this blogger, I didn't find a single use of the word "affiliate" in the FTC document, but I think that the spirit of those rules does include them. It would be very interesting to hear from some attorneys (and I know we have plenty of them on this forum) what their take is on it.

Don't think this ruling would be a tragedy for honest bloggers who don't intentionally push lame ducks while there is a better offer out there, but I think it's gonna be a pain to accompany every single affiliate link with that disclosure. Or maybe not.

Anyway... my bad

Last edited by mia; Aug 22, 2012 at 3:52 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
I unsubscribed from Darius' Million Mile Secrets when he added referral links.

Why?

Very simple. Before he added referral links he righteously promoted the fact he did not include referral links and overtly hinted that those who do should be ashamed. I saw the writing on the wall, and sure enough, he changed his tune.

I don't regret the decision, especially after finding out he stuck another knife in the coffin of a debit card / money order earning opportunity.

There are plenty of other blogs with new an unique content, and his sure isn't one of them.

Also, I couldn't take the ridiculous bow tie photo any longer. It reminded me too much of Matthew Lesko (the guy in the question mark suit with a bow tie unscrupulously selling "Free Money" books)
Hold on, you don't like a blog for whatever reason ubsubscribe from it like you did ? Why get personal ? He likes bow ties, is professional ( seen him at Chicgo FF conference)....Maybe you can send him suggestions on what you would like to see on his blog.

If I remember correctly, all he did with the debit card money order spending was to issue caveats so we not get burned ! I applaud him for his concern for us.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: spg gold
These blogs are in business, and I have been in business all my life. I love my customers they are the reason I can eat. When I go to a restaurant and my food is not right I send it back, and they say were sorry and they fix it. I just can't understand a blogger that says if you don't like what I do go away. Name any other successful business that is run with that type of attitude,and they wonder why people don't like them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.