Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Yeah big difference is you actually did something about it. And found out that it's a lot of work!!!!

Whereas Astrophsx here talks a great game, takes wild pot-shots at bloggers, but does jack-poop about it 'cept whine and complain
You seem to be implying one must invest time into a blog as a pre-requisite to speak about blogs? You sound bitter. Perhaps you've invested a lot of time on a "me too" blog with little to show for it? My condolences, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anyone being qualified to state an opinion here.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by HikerT
You seem to be implying one must invest time into a blog as a pre-requisite to speak about blogs? You sound bitter. Perhaps you've invested a lot of time on a "me too" blog with little to show for it? My condolences, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anyone being qualified to state an opinion here.
Ha quite some leaps you are making there!

I'm not bitter, and I certainly have and continue to enjoy having my own little site. I just feel a lot of the anti-blog rhetoric comes from people who are looking for someone else to blame for their own woes. And there are so many people here who comment about how easy it would be to start their own blog or forum for applying for cards and keeping affiliate money from these evil bloggers. And then they never, ever do anything about it. All talk, no action. Put up or shut up is what I say to that.

In addition in many cases the answer is just always bloggers are bad. Never mind what the question is. I don't put your good self in that camp, you appear to bring a more intelligent head to the table, but I tend to think that is part of the minority in these various blogger-basher threads.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Ha quite some leaps you are making there!

I'm not bitter, and I certainly have and continue to enjoy having my own little site. I just feel a lot of the anti-blog rhetoric comes from people who are looking for someone else to blame for their own woes. And there are so many people here who comment about how easy it would be to start their own blog or forum for applying for cards and keeping affiliate money from these evil bloggers. And then they never, ever do anything about it. All talk, no action. Put up or shut up is what I say to that.

In addition in many cases the answer is just always bloggers are bad. Never mind what the question is. I don't put your good self in that camp, you appear to bring a more intelligent head to the table, but I tend to think that is part of the minority in these various blogger-basher threads.
All talk, no action?

Not sure what kind of action you'd expect besides expressing my opinions publicly. I will say one thing Frugal Travel Guy at least joins the discussion. I've seen two bloggers respond only on their blogs, which shows they are aware of the criticism but seem to not want to be part of the discussion. Maybe a smart move as they are addressing it to their "fan base" and probably creating a stronger loyalty by allowing readers to become almost emotionally involved (read some of the comments).

I love the "mother-in-law rule." I have to say it was a very creative way to address the criticism.. that you a "family business" and grateful for the clicks on the credit card links (written between 7 ads).

My goal is NOT to maximize my income, but to make sure that my mother-in-law won’t be led astray or click on a link which leads to a lower offer.

Easier to play the game when one creates their own rules.

Also, it is my observation that the new blogs are the ones who detail the spending schemes. I think the popular bloggers are aware of some of the backlash that can be created if they appear to have "killed" a deal and tread more carefully when it comes to detailing manufactured spending and focus more on credit card sign ups for points.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
All talk, no action?

Not sure what kind of action you'd expect besides expressing my opinions publicly. I will say one thing Frugal Travel Guy at least joins the discussion.
I would not be mislead. Several bloggers actually do what they can to prevent the discussion by censoring comments on their own blogs. I make it a habit not to visit FTG, DeltaPoints or MileValue except on rare occasions where TBB links to them and I need a good chuckle

Shame too, because MV posts some incredible content. But between breaking promises made when introducing affiliate links, and censoring any pointing out of said promises, I am now a former reader. But at least he has all those new NY Times readers, which he'll milk for all the affiliate $$$ they're worth
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by TravelSummary
I have been trying to advocate for this for quite some time. If it's not new information, simply link to where that information exists. This is why FT is great...consolidation. This needs to happen more in the blogging world where possible.
Yikes.

FT has a ton of educated people/experts. Nothing else really compares. BUT (and that's a big but), I'm telling you right now...blogs will continue to be successful because people are going to want a summary of something that would have taken them forever to read through elsewhere (whether or not that's FT). And every blogger i read always links back to where they originally found the information. And if there's a blogger who's input you trust, you tend to only want theirs. A lot of what is posted here in response to news is wasteful, and frankly - mean (toward other members). Blogs provide instant gratification, by providing summaries of the MOST relevant info to their readers. If FTers want to continue to cry about bloggers having affiliate links, go for it...but what a waste of time. Since when is it a bad thing for someone wanting to make money off something they love? There are some bloggers more shady than others, but I"m happy to support a blog if that's what has helped me travel on rewards.

We're in 2013 - everything is on the internet, and FT gets WAY more visitors than these bloggers (even the big-shots). so if you guys want to blame ppl for killing a deal, you guys can blame yourselves.

and no...I'm not a blogger. ha. just calling it like I see it.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
How to use BC w/ Amex GC's
It is interesting to note a referral link in your sig along with a link to a post that does not mention the better 1.5% CB offer at TCB. Why no mention of the better offer?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
First2Board - some more info now on the site:

"First2Board was Founded by Stacey Segal of VeryGoodPoints, Dennis Glosik of LufthansaFlyer, and Casey Hines of Triple 3 Consulting. Together, the team has created a go-to travel blog, which will feature 10 well respected bloggers."
Old Feb 16, 2013, 1:21 am

Anyone heard of PointsEnvy?

From what I can see it is sort of a satire site, but totally hilarious.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:53 am

Why did TPG appear on TV much more often than the other bloggers?

I just joined the points & miles game lately and don't know the long term literature here. I notice TPG has been in the news especially on TV very often. What made him so special? Was he one of the first to blog? Why can't some other cool writer bloggers be in the news like him?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Because he is taller?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
He pays for a publicist to pitch him, the others don't. Cranky Flier was in the media a good bit this past week (Ft Worth Star Telegram, LA Daily News), so was Gary (Associated Press, USA Today, Conde Nast).

TPG has a staff, too! So it's the most professionalized of the blogs with what seems like a regular editorial calendar, too. It's not just a hobby site.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: A few
Yes TPG has taken this to a whole other level. Congrats to him, he's done very well
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I think the best blogs are the ones that people hate, bash, or flame the most since they have the best info!!!

JudyJFLA
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: Platinum Sky Pimp
Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther
He pays for a publicist to pitch him, the others don't. Cranky Flier was in the media a good bit this past week (Ft Worth Star Telegram, LA Daily News), so was Gary (Associated Press, USA Today, Conde Nast).

TPG has a staff, too! So it's the most professionalized of the blogs with what seems like a regular editorial calendar, too. It's not just a hobby site.
I think "staff" is a little bit exaggerated.

I just checked MileValue blog and OMG. What did he turn his blog into? Nothing but Citi and Barclays US Air application links. Well, that one went to crapper really quick.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Originally Posted by fishdance
I think "staff" is a little bit exaggerated.

I just checked MileValue blog and OMG. What did he turn his blog into? Nothing but Citi and Barclays US Air application links. Well, that one went to crapper really quick.
How is staff exaggerated when he has at least 2 employees, a publicist and occasional "contributors" such as the infamous Jason Steele?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.