Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HikerT
I can see why you would view my comments as "anti-blogger". Almost like shooting fish in a barrel right now with the new US Airways affiliate links and bloggers coming up with all sorts of excuses for readers to use their referral links over the better offer. When tainted advice is given I think it's an important issue to highlight and relevant to the subject of what blogs are more useful than others as noted earlier.

As far as burning a one time Ink bonus for 25K, well, apparently you feel that's solid advice. Can't wait to hear the flip side when the links go back to 25+25K w/ 10K spend and the 5K spend bonus expires.
Keep fighting the good fight. I agree with your take on the situation.

Blogs comes up with/report on ways to goose spending, ... that shouldn't suddenly take a back seat when it means a referral link is lost.

MMS did the same thing when he was testing out a 2nd Ink Bold -- just get the 25K instant points. I asked him why he didn't just get the Ink Plus since it meant you could float that $10K spend for free for 3 months past the deadline. Never got a response.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 9:43 pm

I can see why you would view my comments as "anti-blogger". Almost like shooting fish in a barrel right now with the new US Airways affiliate links and bloggers coming up with all sorts of excuses for readers to use their referral links over the better offer. When tainted advice is given I think it's an important issue to highlight and relevant to the subject of what blogs are more useful than others as noted earlier.

As far as burning a one time Ink bonus for 25K, well, apparently you feel that's solid advice. Can't wait to hear the flip side when the links go back to 25+25K w/ 10K spend and the 5K spend bonus expires.
I'm glad you agree with my assessment. Now look for that better place to vent.

Mahalo.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
Keep fighting the good fight. I agree with your take on the situation.

Blogs comes up with/report on ways to goose spending, ... that shouldn't suddenly take a back seat when it means a referral link is lost.

MMS did the same thing when he was testing out a 2nd Ink Bold -- just get the 25K instant points. I asked him why he didn't just get the Ink Plus since it meant you could float that $10K spend for free for 3 months past the deadline. Never got a response.
+1
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop
By the way, I know where Frequent Miler's dog lives, should I call police and file a false impersonation charge on him?
I think you are mixed up. The poor dog is a victim of idenity theft.

FM would be the one committing fraud if DW did not stop him.

"Fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual."
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
I'm glad you agree with my assessment. Now look for that better place to vent.

Mahalo.
OK, I just registered the domain boardingareasucks.com. All anti-bloggers will be automatically approved for their own anti-blog. QL_714 has first dibs on the anti-blog for FrequentMiler, lol.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 1:07 am

OK, I just registered the domain boardingareasucks.com. All anti-bloggers will be automatically approved for their own anti-blog. QL_714 has first dibs on the anti-blog for FrequentMiler, lol.
I would rather have dibs on MMA.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
I for one am in it for the money! At least I'm honest...
Old Dec 22, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: spg gold
@HikerT What your doing when you point call out a blogger is keeping them honest. Their happens to be a real slick female blogger that has a way of leading people down a path to her advantage.I think they have to understand many of us have been around a while and can't be tricked. If they want me to use their links then they must present the data without any spin.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: As many as I can!
Originally Posted by amolkold

Both the Ink Bold and Ink Plus pay the SAME referral, so I have no incentive to promote one over the other.

I was trying to see if I could get the bonus on 2 Ink Bold cards, and I was successful. And I got the full 50K points too.

I do try to reply to every comment and email, but occasionally I miss a few comments and emails.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Million Mile Secrets
Both the Ink Bold and Ink Plus pay the SAME referral, so I have no incentive to promote one over the other.

I was trying to see if I could get the bonus on 2 Ink Bold cards, and I was successful. And I got the full 50K points too.

I do try to reply to every comment and email, but occasionally I miss a few comments and emails.
But did they pay the same referral when you applied? There was a lag for a while. And yes, you do respond frequently, but I'm interested to see what the recs would be if the $5K signup for 50K had a referral link and the 25K free, 25K for $10K didn't.

The example that HikerT pointed out is akin to a blogger saying, "just book a standard award for 200,000 miles instead of the saver for 100,000, because you may not want to spend the effort to find saver level space." But instead of burning 2x more than necessary, it's earn 1/2x as much as possible. And the fact that referral revenue plays into the earn side of the equation is more than a coincidence to me.

Last edited by amolkold; Dec 22, 2012 at 2:59 pm
Old Dec 22, 2012, 1:15 pm

That's a great idea-my guess is you'll have 200 followers and 25,000 posts. You guys can just knock yourselves out to your hearts' content.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 1:23 pm

amolkold, actually it was closer to DL awards, 75K vs. 25K. as with just a little effort the non-affiliate link sign up bonus could have been 50K + 25K (5K spend @ 5x) cashing out via AP over 5 months. Not to mention other strategies, but those would only net 55K including one that is very "Chase friendly" which would meet spend in 2 months with only 2 purchases and 10 easy ATM withdrawals.

I do see the point however that some people just can't be bothered to do anything but apply for a credit card and complete it with normal spend, so perhaps intentions were a bit more noble than I initially gave credit. It sure was frustrating when I suggested friends go for the southwest companion pass including $$$ of free travel and they came back with "can't you just suggest another simple one like that Sapphire Preferred 50K offer that got me $500".
Old Dec 22, 2012, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by mnscout

Very few bloggers make decent money
Recently, one blogger said that he paid a quarterly income tax of $10,000 using a mileage earning credit card. Let's see... quarterly means 4 times a year. That's $40,000 in taxes yearly. That's more than many Americans earn.

If that blogger makes $200,000 yearly, and pays 20% of his income in taxes ($40,000), I'd say he's making a nice living.

dh
Old Dec 22, 2012, 3:01 pm

I do see the point however that some people just can't be bothered to do anything but apply for a credit card and complete it with normal spend, so perhaps intentions were a bit more noble than I initially gave credit. It sure was frustrating when I suggested friends go for the southwest companion pass including $$$ of free travel and they came back with "can't you just suggest another simple one like that Sapphire Preferred 50K offer that got me $500".
If that's the case, we are wasting our breaths trying to explain Bluebird to everyone else.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Recently, one blogger said that he paid a quarterly income tax of $10,000 using a mileage earning credit card. Let's see... quarterly means 4 times a year. That's $40,000 in taxes yearly. That's more than many Americans earn.

If that blogger makes $200,000 yearly, and pays 20% of his income in taxes ($40,000), I'd say he's making a nice living.

dh
Only from blogging? That's a lot of clicks. I would say the tax rate would be higher also... But I'm not sure how the American system works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.