Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mile-a-holic
So, I hadn't looked at these blogs until this thread and thought that perhaps I was missing something. I started looking, and it was like a train wreck or chick lit - I didn't know why I looked, but I did. I didn't find anything of value. Lots of trip reports that go into far more detail than I am interested in reading, yet somehow I found myself continuing to read.

But, I finally found the cure. MP post on trying to get into Olympic Park without a ticket Great way to represent a US tourist - purposefully wasting the time of the security folks at Olympic Park. And I can say "purposefully" since she admits in her post that she knew the rule. That snapped me out of it, kind of like hitting bottom. No more blogs for me.
Or the latest fiasco of Travelocity's $200 off booking code that was specifically for the attendees of the National Federation of the Blind's convention.

A blogger has found a loophole - using the code, booked a domestic round trip then booked dirt cheap hotels in SE Asia as throw-away and blogged about her "great find." That is picked up by one of the more famous blogger who used to be the Mod of this forum, the it went viral...
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...or-travelocity

At that event, Steve Dumaine, senior vice president of global strategy and project innovation at the online travel booking company, spoke to attendees. His company has been partnering with the NFB on making Travelocity's site accessible to blind users, and he told attendees that the company would give them $200 off of a booking.

"It was entirely a goodwill gesture," says NFB director of public relations Chris Danielsen.

The NFB tweeted the offer on July 4, which Travelocity retweeted:

"Travelocity has offered NFB members $200 off a three-night hotel and flight package through September 4; use code NFB2012."

Yeah, Travelocity made a mistake by not specifying the code is only for attendees, but the intention is quite clear... reading the defense from the more famous blogger against Travelocity shows you how low people would go, even for someone with reputation.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Thank you.

If this thread is to be a useful resource I think it needs to mention both the strengths and the weaknesses of competing blogs. Criticism of the aspects we do not like may change blogger's behavior, but reinforcement of what we do like may also prove beneficial.
A little bit naive I am afraid.
On top of that, the bloggers have enough newbies clicking on their sites to generate page views so they can get better referral payouts. Why would they change their behaviors to make them more attractive to the FTers, especially those who are more knowledgeable? The audience target is vastly different.

Originally Posted by mnscout
But most of this criticism is not constructive. Some folks hate trip reports, while others love it. Some people are not interested in squeezing every point out of our buying habits while others love it immensely. Bit*hing about pushing credit cards is pointless as well because for everyone who is not a business traveler, credit cards is the best and the only realistic way to accumulate miles and points. Bloggers will not stop doing it because some flyertalkers don't like it. Simple as that.
Quite. Especially there are always newbies that would feed the page views.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
I like to read "the points guy" blog but he's really whoring it out this week.
So I clicked on his amex links today -> CRTV=STALTO&PSKU=SPG&VEID=1514524983&AFFID=k561584 and then re-applied without his affiliate ID in URL by using another browser. (AFFID=k561584)
Just way too much spam & BS about his update on his "own" applications and cards that he's "keeping"..
TPG provided information about the benefits of the card. You read his blog and it seems you wanted that card. But you did not want to use his Referral ID. Lastly you applied for the card when you could use someone's referral. You would not have lost anything if you had used someone's referral (atleast they get rewarded for all the informations and answers they try to give).
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MileLife
TPG provided information about the benefits of the card. You read his blog and it seems you wanted that card. But you did not want to use his Referral ID. Lastly you applied for the card when you could use someone's referral. You would not have lost anything if you had used someone's referral (atleast they get rewarded for all the informations and answers they try to give).
Some people see referral links as a way to "reward good bloggers." There have been instances where I read multiple blogs but decided to apply through one blogger since they had much better posts than the rest (like Frequent Miler).

I agree with a lot of people here -- I really liked TPG when he first started (when it was less of a business and he put out some good stuff). But it's become a shell of what it used to be, and it's really insulting to his readers that some of his links will go to bonuses that are half of what is publicly available.

atleast they get rewarded for all the informations and answers they try to give
A lot of people give information and answers on FT, but we don't get rewarded with referral links.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by amolkold

A lot of people give information and answers on FT, but we don't get rewarded with referral links.
I agree with rewarding good bloggers (own judgement). Please note I mentioned as "someone's" referral.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I agree with rewarding good bloggers (own judgement). Please note I mentioned as "someone's" referral.
Just because there are referral links doesn't mean we have to use them. I use them to reward good posts related to the card I'm trying to get. TPG had a great series in 2011 about the old BA program, and so he got my clicks for that card. Applying through links just serves to feed the beast. Using links for good posts and not using them/removing the affID for bloggers that aren't up to par serves as a feedback mechanism.

I don't know which bloggers actually read this thread, but money talks, and removing the affID is the most direct form of feedback.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:00 pm

Bit*hing about pushing credit cards is pointless as well because for everyone who is not a business traveler, credit cards is the best and the only realistic way to accumulate miles and points. Bloggers will not stop doing it because some flyertalkers don't like it. Simple as that.
There is at least one blogger (FrequentMiler) who listened. When a blogger focuses their energy on posting value added content, as opposed to ways to push referrals, it shows. TPG used to put a lot more energy into posting value added content, but now seems to have gone the other direction, and it shows as well.

I'd say there's an inverse correlation between useful content and the frequency of referral links. When the new Chase Ink Plus card came out, who posted about it immediately and who waited for the referral links before posting? Personally I would never give another referral to the latter.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
...naive...
The moderators' charge is to keep discussion civil. We can do this with our police power, or we can do it by steering the discussion in a constructive direction. My experience is that people do respond to compliments more than to criticism.

I want to draw out the reasons that Flyertalk members follow these blogs. I understand the criticisms, but what keeps you going back?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: Too many to list
I wanted that card because I had room for it not because he "explained me benefits" over and over again.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
When the new Chase Ink Plus card came out, who posted about it immediately and who waited for the referral links before posting? Personally I would never give another referral to the latter.
Exactly ^
Old Aug 15, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
and TPG doesnt respond to reader emails *hint*
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
When I first discovered the blogs, I thought they were great. But now, I find most of the blogs are about them generating the ad revenues and click through referral commissions. While I appreciate all the bloggers' efforts in keeping up with the blogs, I find it somewhat annoying that most of the articles are written for the sole purpose of making money. It's hard to differentiate one blog from another these days as when something comes out (like Citi Hilton Reserve Card), every blog is all about you getting the latest and greatest credit card.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HikerT
There is at least one blogger (FrequentMiler) who listened. When a blogger focuses their energy on posting value added content, as opposed to ways to push referrals, it shows. TPG used to put a lot more energy into posting value added content, but now seems to have gone the other direction, and it shows as well.

I'd say there's an inverse correlation between useful content and the frequency of referral links. When the new Chase Ink Plus card came out, who posted about it immediately and who waited for the referral links before posting? Personally I would never give another referral to the latter.
You like Frequent Miler (and so do I) because you are directly in his target audience. And I don't think he "has listened" to anyone; at least I don't remember that his blog has ever changed directions or anything based on Flyertalk discussions.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:48 pm

You like Frequent Miler (and so do I) because you are directly in his target audience. And I don't think he "has listened" to anyone; at least I don't remember that his blog has ever changed directions or anything based on Flyertalk discussions.
Ok, which blog is that? Can you post URL please
Old Aug 15, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
Ok, which blog is that? Can you post URL please
boardingarea.com/blogs/frequentmiler/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.