Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Can we try for something a little different?

Since this thread is (strangely) fascinating to me, I would like to turn it around a bit. I completely understand and share the disdain some folks here have for the those who use their blogs to push credit cards with a lesser value while a better CC offer is available. What those folks do (and they know who they are!) is truly reprehensible. So let's not talk about them, but how about the bloggers who do not push (at least knowingly) a worse value card when there is a better offer sitting around? My understanding you, guys, still have problems with them too.

1. Many of you, guys, have ridiculed advertising of Chase Sapphire. If you agree that Chase Sapphire is a great value - could you explain how the bloggers "dis-serve" their readership by advertising this card?

2. You dislike that bloggers cover things you already know. Do you agree that most bloggers do not cater to experienced flyertalkers, but rather to newbies who may find Flyertalk (and rightfully so!) a bit overwhelming and complicated at times?

3. Considering it costs bloggers time and money to provide this service to customers free of charge - do you truly and honestly believe they are not entitled to some monetary compensation for their trouble provided it does not come from their audience?

4. What is the source or combination of sources of your apparent annoyance with those blogs?

a) you don't want the secret out?
b) you don't like that they make it easy for newbies considering you've learned this art the hard way?
c) you don't believe credit card bonuses are worth talking about?
d) lack of original content (they read information on other forums like flyertalk and then repeat it in their blogs)?
e) anything else?

Please, fellows, do not ignore this post. In the very least, you do realize those bloggers probably watch this thread very carefully, right? Maybe you could give them an idea what you would like them to do.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
How would chase know what someone buys at staples?
that is a very good point

though i suspect the op may be confusing situations where people have got caught off for buying gc's direct from amex etc. it is all supposition on my behalf but just trying to rationalize the suggestion
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: SQ
For me it's #2, but that's why I don't need them. I don't learn anything from them, and I don't read them anymore.

I guess it's generally a bit of irritation regarding others trying to make money off something they're not necessarily an expert on. There are many blogs - some are written by experts and some are written by amateurs. There is quality content and there is filler content. The blogs are absolutely geared towards the newbies, and the newbies are the ones who are consistently raving about the benefits the blogs have provided for them - something I am OK with.

However, I do see an ever-growing desire for others and for the establishment bloggers to make money. I don't really follow them, but the quality of content is generally subpar whenever I look. Mostly things along the line of trip reports, average advice on elite status, etc. There is no debate on these blogs, and the information isn't always credible or the most valid - even from the 'big names' of travel.

I just wish that FT would not become a place for marketing, and the blogs stay out of it. I also do not enjoy seeing average advice given in the Miles Buzz forum because it was something taken from a blog. It's all about knowledge here, not marketing, and it should stay that way.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:47 pm

I actually don't mind trip report in a blog- that's what keeps each one from being different and refreshing. What I do mind is a blog that offers nothing new in terms of content, but rather is set up to maximise the referral bonuses. "Direct linking" is a good example of this.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by mnscout
Since this thread is (strangely) fascinating to me, I would like to turn it around a bit. I completely understand and share the disdain some folks here have for the those who use their blogs to push credit cards with a lesser value while a better CC offer is available. What those folks do (and they know who they are!) is truly reprehensible. So let's not talk about them, but how about the bloggers who do not push (at least knowingly) a worse value card when there is a better offer sitting around? My understanding you, guys, still have problems with them too.

1. Many of you, guys, have ridiculed advertising of Chase Sapphire. If you agree that Chase Sapphire is a great value - could you explain how the bloggers "dis-serve" their readership by advertising this card?

2. You dislike that bloggers cover things you already know. Do you agree that most bloggers do not cater to experienced flyertalkers, but rather to newbies who may find Flyertalk (and rightfully so!) a bit overwhelming and complicated at times?

3. Considering it costs bloggers time and money to provide this service to customers free of charge - do you truly and honestly believe they are not entitled to some monetary compensation for their trouble provided it does not come from their audience?

4. What is the source or combination of sources of your apparent annoyance with those blogs?

a) you don't want the secret out?
b) you don't like that they make it easy for newbies considering you've learned this art the hard way?
c) you don't believe credit card bonuses are worth talking about?
d) lack of original content (they read information on other forums like flyertalk and then repeat it in their blogs)?
e) anything else?

Please, fellows, do not ignore this post. In the very least, you do realize those bloggers probably watch this thread very carefully, right? Maybe you could give them an idea what you would like them to do.
Good post. Pretty much exactly how I feel. I feel I have "graduated" from newbie to forum reader and contirbuter (even posted an excellent AA milage run I was not interested in if you don't believe me), but you simply can't expect everyone to do this, and further, these guys still save me a bunch of time by "lifting" the best from flyertalk. They have every right to make a dime, and further, many of those Chase and AmEx cards that pay referals are some of the best earning cards out there (admit bloggers should only link to best link like MMS).

I must say again, if folks are NOT reading the frequent miler, they should. (Wonder if many think it is too far "out there" like I did initially?) I don't see the great gift card ideas being posted in "mileage buzz" so not sure who this is duplicating content. (Admit it could be other places I have not seen.) As someone more experienced at this point, I get the most bang for the buck out of that blog. I love my Visa gift cards!

Last edited by THEsocalledfan; Mar 21, 2012 at 10:53 pm
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:19 am

Would everyone care if the bloggers pushed a card without emphasizing on the bonus? I think this is where the problem is. The Sapphire card is a good card for everyday use outside of the bonus. No foreign transaction fee with double points on travel/food and the points can be used for cash back. Now that is a constant... the bonuses may not be.

THe AA cards people were pushing has the same benefits but the better card had the 50k miles + $150 credit + passes... Some bloggers didnt have that good of a bonus but the card benefits were the same.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:57 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 8mpg
Would everyone care if the bloggers pushed a card without emphasizing on the bonus? I think this is where the problem is. The Sapphire card is a good card for everyday use outside of the bonus. No foreign transaction fee with double points on travel/food and the points can be used for cash back. Now that is a constant... the bonuses may not be.
In another thread (or maybe on TOBB/MP), someone was asking why I had a Sapphire Preferred since it was only travel & dining where you'd get 2x, and everything else was 1x. It wasn't until I explained the Freedom and its tie-in with bonuses that they understood why I have the Sapphire ... the Freedom is what is a good everyday card, the Sapphire (or Ink Bold) is just what makes those points usable for a FFP. Yet, I rarely see any blog talk about the Freedom compared to the Sapphire. Instead, I see so many direct links to apply for the Sapphire. I wouldn't have a problem if instead, they linked to page that explains the SP more in-depth, including the tie-in with the Freedom, and then offer up a link.

I do read the blogs, and I understand that they would like to be compensated for their time, but this credit card pushing is kind of a turn off.

Last edited by amolkold; Mar 22, 2012 at 1:03 am
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:10 am

I agree but disagree. The Freedom card is decent but changing categories dont always appeal to people because they might not spend in that category. I rarely use my Discover card because of this. There are many rotating categories that offer 5% but I dont spend in those.

I think a great appeal about the Sapphire (and all UR cards) is the flexibility and if I want giftcards or cash I can get those. I think this is a reason they push Sapphire. Im not sure of the commission paid on Sapphire vs other cards but I do think Sapphire is a great card. It is my #2 card. My #1 is Chase Ink Classic (which is 3% gas, 3% restaurant/dining, and 3% hardware store) where the set categories is where I spend most of my money. The rotating categories dont appeal to me because the majority of my spending is set each month.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:12 am

S. P. G.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:33 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Actually, the most egregious for me is the “Travel Hacking Cartel” (travelhacking.org). They CHARGE a monthly subscription fee (which apparently isn’t the easiest to cancel) for posts that are either affiliate links, or pretty much lifted from other blogs/FT.

What angers me the most about that “service” is that pretty much its all stuff that other people did the work, posted, and shared for free that is repackaged and put behind a pay wall. While pushing a ton of affiliate links. And making it impossible to cancel. Unbelievably sleazy IMO
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
For me it's #2, but that's why I don't need them. I don't learn anything from them, and I don't read them anymore.
I like to thnk that I know everything too! But that's not the case. Every so often, at a local Flyertalk dinner or DO, someone throws out a 'throw-away' statement about something. Now if you're a regular to the program being discussed, or a newbie, a @:-) flashes when this pearl of wisdom is spoken.

Same goes for the blogs. I'm not an AA guy, but do have some miles with them. I didn't have a clue about the complexities of using AA miles (or partner). My late friend magic111 on the AA board helped shed some light, as did www.thepointsguy.com

The one thing that I know for sure as a long time member of Flyertalk is that I will never know everything.

dh
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 8mpg
I agree but disagree.
Even without the bonus categories, Freedom > Sapphire for everyday spending, so long as you have Chase checking. For someone like me doesn't spend enough to warrant another annual fee for the SPG card, it makes Sapphire worth it.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by josephstern
Did some Google searches using the "site:" limiter.

On TPG, for "Chase Sapphire": 532 hits

FTG: 1220

Million Mile Secrets: 209

Mommy Points: 217

View from the Wing: 311

Frequent Miler: 450
(I do feel that he uses this for good and not evil, personally)

Deals we Like: 109

Finally! Drumroll please!

Dan's Deals: 4500
Disingenuous given that:
A: The vast majority of the DansDeals hits for Chase Sapphire are on www.DansDeals.com/forums where there are dozens of long threads discussing the nuances of the Sapphire card.
B: Google says 1,420 hits when I did that same search just now, so I'm not sure how you got that number.

Originally Posted by amolkold
Even without the bonus categories, Freedom > Sapphire for everyday spending, so long as you have Chase checking. For someone like me doesn't spend enough to warrant another annual fee for the SPG card, it makes Sapphire worth it.
Exactly.
I've pointed this out numerous times:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/19419
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/20630
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/17261
and have been blogging about Chase Exclusives for years. Frankly I am a little surprised so many bloggers still pump Sapphire Preferred as the card to spend on, when in fact it rarely is except in limited circumstances. Though it is great for the signup bonus, for those limited circumstances when spending does make the most sense on Sapphire, and for transferring other UR points earned on Freedom/Ink Classic to airlines/hotels.

As far as the criticisms of my site, it simply isn't designed for someone sitting on FT all day (though I'll bet that even the most advanced reader may still may learn a thing or 2 from my experiences having churned over 300 credit cards earning into the 8 figures of miles) so I don't really understand the hate.

If you don't enjoy the content then don't read it, no? It's not like I force you or charge you to read it

Last edited by ctownflyer; Mar 22, 2012 at 1:57 pm
Old Mar 22, 2012, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Disingenuous given that:
A: The vast majority of the DansDeals hits for Chase Sapphire are on www.DansDeals.com/forums where there are dozens of long threads discussing the nuances of the Sapphire card.
B: Google says 1,420 hits when I did that same search just now, so I'm not sure how you got that number.
Certainly, I wasn't intending to deceive. I just ran the numbers. To be honest, until today, I've never been to your site at all. I just have seen the name in this thread many, many times.

I had no idea you had forums.

If I run the search like this:

site:www.dansdeals.com "chase sapphire"

I still get 2380 hits. That should eliminate any forum hits since the URL starts differently.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I'm still seeing results from the forums in that google search like this:
www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=7346

Also due to the way the blog is organized google is picking up the exact same post multiple times due to a post being tagged in different categories, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.