Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: A few
Ric - very well thought out response to the comments made here on the blog, and while I love the vast amount of points showered upon us by the credit card companies over the past 18-24 months, there is NO DOUBT you are right that this will come crashing down upon us and we will be left in a situation where award tables are blown out of all proportion but the opportunity to earn the miles will evaporate. Anyone who thinks differently really ought to study the financial crisis more thoroughly

It's this kind of rationale thought and avoidance of the gravy train that differentiates yours and Seth's blogs on boardingarea.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by satori

As has already been mentioned by Lucky, the readers of our blogs are not necessarily the same people. 50% of my blog traffic comes from Google searches. About 17% comes from BoardingArea.com readers based on Google Analytics. About 10% comes from The Points Guy, Frugal Travel Guy, Million Mile Secrets. Thanks guys.

Over the past couple of months I find a new points & miles blog just about every day. It is going to be harder for many of these new bloggers to get noticed. The field is getting crowded with these niche points & miles travel blogs.

My readership has grown 25% in the past month so I am not on my way out of the hotel points blog business just yet.
Seems to me that somehow people are catching on to the points game, and it might have something to do with the rising airline prices. If readership is growing, it must be from those who are just starting out, as a lot of us with experience in the field are complaining. Not that the general content is bad, we just already know it and aren't as intrigued by it anymore. Those numbers show that your base isn't us FTers - but casual searchers, something that paints an entirely different picture, and shows the potential for growth in the market.

There are too many blogs, and they are all too similar. I think that incorporating trip reports has potential, and using cost-cutting tricks to make the trip affordable will speak volumes to a casual readership. I often read the NYT travel section when I'm on the road, and it's amazing what will get published. Their 'frugal traveler' isn't really that frugal, and I think that this kind of market is key. Every time I find a really good Europe fare and post it, even if it's 5 cpm, there are tons of people who want to know how I found it. Basically what I'm saying is that the future of the market isn't at all FT, but rather people who want to know how they can afford travel. The points game can only get you so far in that regard, and I don't always see the 'experts' putting it all together in the most economical fashion.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
But, I've got to say, TPG's post today about the Citibank 1099 issue doesn't even reference the long FT thread from which much information has been used.

I really, really can't respect that.
+1. When the US Grand Slam got rolling last fall, I curated the "other partners" thread listing various inexpensive hits. TPG proceeded to more or less repeat that info with no attribution/credit/acknowledgment.

Did I mind that somebody else was reading & making use of the info? Hell, no; that's what it was for. Did I mind that somebody essentially tried to pass off my work (and, I should add, the collective input from which I distilled that product) as his own? You bet.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
+1. When the US Grand Slam got rolling last fall, I curated the "other partners" thread listing various inexpensive hits. TPG proceeded to more or less repeat that info with no attribution/credit/acknowledgment.

Did I mind that somebody else was reading & making use of the info? Hell, no; that's what it was for. Did I mind that somebody essentially tried to pass off my work (and, I should add, the collective input from which I distilled that product) as his own? You bet.
First, you did an amazing job at that, and I thank you very much for the time you put into the US GS organization here on FT.

Next, I think it's all about keeping people away from the primary source material. These guys always ask for comments to be posted on their sites - they rarely, if ever, ask for readers to continue the discussion where it started, here on FT.

As a webmaster for some sites in a very different realm, I fully understand the importance of not losing the surfer to a different site, but this is usually trumped, with repeat readers, but gaining their trust, and that is often demonstrated by trusting that the reader will come back to your site because you've given them the most complete information possible, and they know that.

Bloggers are looking short-term - one cc signup. Long-term, they can build solid readership, which has signups and other benefits.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I have 7 blogs come to my google reader. i find them all to be helpful, i dont mind if they are constantly pitching credit cards. I wan to know whats out there so I can choose waht works best for me. I also find it usefull when the same credit card is being pitched over and over again especially if it is one i find not so usefull, this lets me know the offers out there are not as plentyful. when i see new offer after new offer it perks my interest.
my vote for best well thought out and informative is Ric at Loyalty Traveler
Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Well, Astro, if the miles become worthless you can always buy tickets after FDing. As I fly to Monaco this weekend I'll be looking for that huge Jet-A slick out in the Atlantic....

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
...I completely agree that these huge credit card sign ups ultimately devalue what a mile or point is worth. Or they may be somewhat responsible for the fuel fees being added on. These bloggers would take no responsibility if credit card churning is killed or the huge devaluation in points/miles.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:18 am

Looks like many of you are annoyed about reading the same information on many different blogs. At frequentflyerpost, we link to the top headlines from the best blogs, providing an easy starting point to learn the art of discounted travel.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerPost
Looks like many of you are annoyed about reading the same information on many different blogs. At frequentflyerpost, we link to the top headlines from the best blogs, providing an easy starting point to learn the art of discounted travel.
A meta-blog of blogs of FT threads. Wow.

I can't imagine what comes next.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Be careful what you post in this thread as the Moderator already shut down the other thread saying "I'm now convinced that this really doesn't belong in MilesBuzz!. Hardly any mention of miles at all..."

Now I don't know if this has anything to do with Flyertalk being owned by the same company that owns some popular travel blogs? Am I allowed to even question this or does this go against the FT rules?

Most threads in MilesBuzz have nothing to do with points/miles directly. Purchasing dollar coins has nothing to do with the points game directly, its only when you purchase them with a credit card that earns miles does it relate to miles. IMO talking about these travel blogs has just as much to do with miles/points as those thread. Reading these blogs does not directly gain you points, you aren't given points for surfing these pages... but when you go to the page and sign up for the credit card they are pushing you earn miles.. or following the promotions they talk about. We are just providing feedback on these blogs.
I'm fairly confused on what MilesBuzz is supposed to be. There are so many posts with requests for help, advice, etc that often that's mostly what shows up on the first page. That's not a knock on folks asking for help, just seems like it would help to have a separate forum for advice/newbies. Maybe it's just the current lack of big bonuses, there isn't much else to talk about.

I do like FrequentMiler as he's more actively trying to find some creative ways to generate more miles, which is more useful than the blogs just parrotting the same info. I agree with other posters about some bloggers who are quick to pull info from FT, but not credit the source (or participate here either)...though I think most of them are good about giving credit where it's due.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:04 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk! (Although, clearly you've been here before.)

I hate to sound skeptical, but how is this different/better than using Google Reader to aggregate the best blogs on a customized page?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by TheManofaThousandPlaces
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I hate to sound skeptical, but how is this different/better than using Google Reader to aggregate the best blogs on a customized page?
There are several blogs on Boarding Area and FTG that often post a list/review of the best content on other travel blogs. Creating a blog that is solely dedicated to this is no different than a blog stealing the best content from Flyertalk and using it as their own... at least this guy's blog probably gives credit to who runs the blog. It's basically serving a function, wade through the low signal to noise on all the travel blogs so one does not have to waste their time finding the good stuff.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold,Hyatt Diamond
Further to OP's question: Curious to know, what is the most useful foreign frequent flyer blog?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheManofaThousandPlaces
Welcome to FlyerTalk! (Although, clearly you've been here before.)

Right - I'm certainly not adding this blog to my Google Reader, which is just like this but more customizable to my needs.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I do like FrequentMiler as he's more actively trying to find some creative ways to generate more miles, which is more useful than the blogs just parrotting the same info.
Thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kmwjes
Further to OP's question: Curious to know, what is the most useful foreign frequent flyer blog?
What's "foreign" in this context?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.