Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:16 am

But the issue was, it wasn't a trip report about his AA flight - it was a completely separate post that (at least attempted) to individually target the question "what is the best business class seat". Then he went off on a tangent about other parts of the product, too.

Put it another way - if his post was "AA's new seat is great", then I would agree. But it turned out to be "AA's new seat is great, and therefore AA is the best at everything". At least, that's the implication I took from it.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:33 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
But the issue was, it wasn't a trip report about his AA flight - it was a completely separate post that (at least attempted) to individually target the question "what is the best business class seat". Then he went off on a tangent about other parts of the product, too.

Put it another way - if his post was "AA's new seat is great", then I would agree. But it turned out to be "AA's new seat is great, and therefore AA is the best at everything". At least, that's the implication I took from it.
Agree: the problem with the blog post was the title. It was misleading and/or incorrect.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 5:30 pm

After several weeks, first2board's website still is cluttered. It tries to put too many posts/entries/updates/etc into a single page and has no focus. They should limit content to 15-20 posts. Cureently, i count boxes to 38 entries some of which are duplicates.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 6:13 pm

It really is a trainwreck. Looks like windows 8 on steroids.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 11:02 pm

I think Jason Steele writes an iffy post as a response to the posts earlier on the FT threat about the TPG and sticking in links.

I skimmed the whole post (you can find link on TBB) but this really stuck out at me and I felt I had to talk about it:

As for those blogs who tailor their content to push links, they are easy to spot. They offer poor advice and are constantly pushing inferior products. If you feel a blog is doing this, my advice is to simply stop reading them rather than go on a crusade. There are far worse things in this world worth spending your time crusading against.
um... please don't tell me blogs that push links are easy to spot. If so, the only "good" blogs are vftw and mms. I've seen everyone else push at least one bad link.

Therefore, my writing is inherently uncorrupted by these links, at least until my editors get at it.
True, but then that doesn't prevent the blog ideas of the person who hired you to tailor their ideas to push links... and I could be wrong here unless you were free to write on what you want I don't think your content is uncorrupted by links. Especially if it's a credit card insurance post. What does that scream? CC links.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 11:47 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by yerffej201
I think Jason Steele writes an iffy post as a response to the posts earlier on the FT threat about the TPG and sticking in links.

I skimmed the whole post (you can find link on TBB) but this really stuck out at me and I felt I had to talk about it:

um... please don't tell me blogs that push links are easy to spot. If so, the only "good" blogs are vftw and mms. I've seen everyone else push at least one bad link.

True, but then that doesn't prevent the blog ideas of the person who hired you to tailor their ideas to push links... and I could be wrong here unless you were free to write on what you want I don't think your content is uncorrupted by links. Especially if it's a credit card insurance post. What does that scream? CC links.
I love the bloggers who blog 'don't talk about bloggers.'

They have a wonderful sense of irony!
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the blogging world. Would you mind giving me some feedback on my site?

saverocity.com

I talk about travel and personal finance, as these are my two areas of interest. I think that travel hacking dovetails well with concepts of financial intelligence and frugal living.

I'd be happy to hear what you like or dislike about my content/presentation/adverts so I can get better at what I am doing.

Cheers,

Matt
Old Apr 7, 2013, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the blogging world. Would you mind giving me some feedback on my site?

saverocity.com

I talk about travel and personal finance, as these are my two areas of interest. I think that travel hacking dovetails well with concepts of financial intelligence and frugal living.

I'd be happy to hear what you like or dislike about my content/presentation/adverts so I can get better at what I am doing.

Cheers,

Matt
You aren't as bad as Milevalue, but titles that include "free" tend to never offer any information that one can get for free.

or putting something like, "12,500 Miles to Asia in First Class" or 7,500 Miles to South America

When you write, "A free ticket one way anywhere until 2014… that’s travel hacking." You are technically paying for this with you original redemption of an award ticket, so how is it free?

Overall the design and layout of the site is good.

Last edited by Astrophsx; Apr 7, 2013 at 4:01 pm
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:00 pm

Guess what the latest excuse to pimp Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Ink Bold, and Chase Ink Plus affiliate links is? Really, could any of the usual suspects blog about anything UR related without throwing in the gratuitous links?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
There are some really bad blogs, some bad bloggers, and some egregious, gratuitious pimping of credit card links.

But there's also legitimate news. Chase Ultimate Rewards adding a transfer partner is actually news, and something reasonable to post -- at least for the first few blogs covering it.

Folks here who don't distinguish between the two situations really harm their credibility.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther
Chase Ultimate Rewards adding a transfer partner is actually news, and something reasonable to post -- at least for the first few blogs covering it.
I agree this is news.

Last edited by mia; Apr 8, 2013 at 9:30 am Reason: Prune quotation
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:32 pm

Yes, it most certainly warrants adding affiliate links in the opening slavo, lol. How can anyone who hasn't yet signed up for these cards not do so now given the news?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
Legitimate news (content isn't being skewed), financial relationship properly disclosed, it seems like the complaints should focus on the bad blogs and worst offenders not just 'I don't like that they included a link in that post' where it's on-topic.

Otherwise critics just marginalize themselves, howling at the moon. Better to show one understands the distinction I offered above, and save complaints for actual bad behavior, or it's all just noise.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
It really is a trainwreck. Looks like windows 8 on steroids.
We're working on it. Hard to strike a balance with quantity and real-estate!
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther
There are some really bad blogs, some bad bloggers, and some egregious, gratuitious pimping of credit card links.

But there's also legitimate news. Chase Ultimate Rewards adding a transfer partner is actually news, and something reasonable to post -- at least for the first few blogs covering it.

Folks here who don't distinguish between the two situations really harm their credibility.
Couldn't agree more. A couple links in a timely and relevant post is FAR different from a random "story" about nothing in particular but laden with a dozen or more links.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.