Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Even then Gary wouldn't be right - if we're talking just the seat, then it should be US (who were the first to pioneer it and offer an industry leading product, as opposed to AA, a mere follower who has it on all of about 3 aircraft right now). If we're looking at the whole picture - SN, LX, OS etc. should all rank well above AA on almost every count (except possibly seat).
I thought the US seat is the old version and isn't as good?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:38 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TWA44
While there was an ad along the left margin for a cc, there were not any cc links within the text.

So for me, HackMyTrip is a keeper.
Thank you. For what it's worth, the sidebar ads are just empty space rented out to BoardingArea, who sells the space to others. Those advertisers are usually credit card issuers, but I don't really have any control over the ads's content other than removing them. They are not affiliate ads. Even First2Board has similar ads for credit cards along, since they use Google Adsense (I assume) and Google sells the space to the highest bidder, which may or may not be a credit card issuer.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:17 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
Even then Gary wouldn't be right - if we're talking just the seat, then it should be US (who were the first to pioneer it and offer an industry leading product, as opposed to AA, a mere follower who has it on all of about 3 aircraft right now). If we're looking at the whole picture - SN, LX, OS etc. should all rank well above AA on almost every count (except possibly seat).
From Gary's post:

US Airways pioneered these seats and doesn’t really get enough credit for that. The American seat, based on the Cathay Pacific seat (arguably the best long haul business class in the world) is an evolution of that seat.
And he's totally clear on his criteria for what matters in his evaluation:

..business class is all about the seat. I explained the important elements of business class:

The key elements, to me, are that the seat is lie flat. And that the seat is lie flat. And that the seat is lie flat. And within that framework, it helps when the seat is lie flat. (I also want the seat to be a bit wider so I can turn over or stretch without hitting the side, and so I feel a bit less claustrophobic. I want an extra pillow and an extra blanket so that one can serve as a mattress pad. And a bit of actual storage space helps. But these are all distinguishing features that matter only once the seat is lie flat.)
The AA seat appears to be better than the US, SN, LX, OS seat. Which is why he declared their business class offering to be best.

Totally fair to disagree about the criteria, but he isn't simply wrong or giving them too much love. Based the the creasons he lays out the conclusion does seem to follow..
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:55 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
For years certain bloggers RAILED against USAirways non stopped - talking about how they love the miles but would never fly the airline. They've had the best seat for years on ALL their transatlantic Airbuses. If it was truely about the seat, you'd have had more (or any) bloggers singing the USAir praises, but they didnt. They avoid them... Gary admits as much when he says they don't get the credit.

Now that AA has a similar product in THREE planes with a slow rollout scheduled, all the AA AApologists come out and proclaim how wonderful this is. And how the seats is revolutionary, and the best in the world...

A lot of bloggers enjoy close relationships with AA. Lucky's written about two different comped international business class trips with them (to Argentina and the London). But i'm sure that has nothing to do it....
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:57 am

Okay but putting out a very specific set of criteria for judgement then proclaiming it as "the best" business class seat is very misleading at best.

Also AA has their new seat on, what, a handful of routes to Europe now? Contrastingly, SQ does essentially twice daily - JFK-FRA and IAH-DME... Don't know why the latter is disqualified in the competition, but the former is wildly praised for its brand spanking new product, handily omitting the fact that the other 98% of flights are operated by angled flats in a 2-3-2 configuration.

Also I've flown neither seats, but I'm not sure how AA's is "better" than US's other than simply being a newer version. But especially with things like comfort, newer really doesn't equal better. Not to mention the more fleetwide implementation of the product at US.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:03 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Okay but putting out a very specific set of criteria for judgement then proclaiming it as "the best" business class seat is very misleading at best.
How else would you go about it?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by freeloader
For years certain bloggers RAILED against USAirways non stopped - talking about how they love the miles but would never fly the airline. They've had the best seat for years on ALL their transatlantic Airbuses. If it was truely about the seat, you'd have had more (or any) bloggers singing the USAir praises, but they didnt. They avoid them... Gary admits as much when he says they don't get the credit.
Gary regularly 'shouts from the rooftops' (as he says) that US Airways pioneered the earlier version of these seats and doesn't get enough credit, e.g.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...nuary-21-2013/

Gary said,

@ffi – I *frequently* say US Airways pioneered business class seats, I think my usual refrain actually is that US Airways doesn’t get enough credit for that. Although the Cathay seat is an improvement on, not the same as, the US Airways seat.
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...than-we-think/

I think US Airways doesn’t get enough credit for some of the things they’ve done like being the first to introduce the current best business class seat in the market, or roll out first class cabins in their regional aircraft quickly.
And that's just googling the exact phrase "doesn't get enough credit" along with us airways and seat.

So I don't think it's fair to say he's trying to hide the ball here. He repeats that US Airways pioneered the seat and doesn't get credit for it even when reviewing AA's version.

When you write explicitly what your criteria is, you aren't being misleading @:-)
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:24 am

Saying one sentence that they don't get enough credit for it is not the same as a multi page blog post singing its praises complete with pictures. If it were the same, US would have gotten the same (no, actually, better treatment than AA since they were the pioneering airline), but where was the fanfare back then? Oh wait.

And using Gary's criteria, the answer is SQ. You can't say "using this criteria but also excluding the one which excels the most in said criteria, option #2 is the best".

Edit: I just checked - they have ONE 77W transatlantic flight a day. That's just over half of what SQ offers- and if we approach this technically, SQ's EWR-SIN and BCN-GRU flights are also transatlantic (of course I know this isn't what Gary meant, but since he didn't specify non-AA lovers should be able to spin the rules in their favour too). If anyone should be excluded, it should be AA not SQ.

Last edited by belfordrocks; Apr 5, 2013 at 6:31 am
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther
Gary regularly 'shouts from the rooftops' (as he says) that US Airways pioneered the earlier version of these seats and doesn't get enough credit, e.g.
I know, perhaps my wording was a bit off then - my point was that gary is admitting as much that there are others who don't give them enough credit... not necessarily him
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:26 am

Edit: I just checked - they have ONE 77W transatlantic flight a day.
I just checked, the current schedule is 2 JFK-LHR 77W flights, 1 DFW-LHR 77W flight (so 3 transatlantic) and 1 JFK-GRU 77W flight. There will be 6 LHR 77W flights by summer. In any case, not one.

That's just over half of what SQ offers- and if we approach this technically, SQ's EWR-SIN and BCN-GRU flights are also transatlantic (of course I know this isn't what Gary meant, but since he didn't specify non-AA lovers should be able to spin the rules in their favour too). If anyone should be excluded, it should be AA not SQ.
Umm, ok.

But.. didn't he specify? The very second paragraph (3rd sentence of the post):

Believe it or not, and with some caveats that I’ll note below, American Airlines probably has the best business class between North America and Europe right now.
He says he's most interested in the seat. He gives nods to US Airways (and Cathay and also Delta which fly similar versions across the Pacific).

He acknowledges the limited number of flights,

Until American reaches critical mass with the product the top business offerings out there are the latest ex-Continental BusinessFirst seats, the Delta herringbone seats, and the Virgin Atlantic seats.
He flags the intermitten functionlity of the inflight internet, contrasts the huge variability in service from cabin crew, nits at the food a bit, and even critiques the durability of the seats.

So all in all it seems like it is a more fair review than is being characterized here.

I've had more than a few negative things to say about blogs in this thread, so I'm a little surprised finding myself defending this one, but it seems the critiques are taking kind of a selective reading here.

We can all do snark but I don't think that helps divide the wheat from the chaff.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 8:04 am

Nods to US Airways? Sorry, but US Airways had pioneered the seat, installed it on all of their A330s, and all they get is one sentence. In contrast, AA comes along many years later with a product that matches their competitors, and gets showered with praise.

There's a difference between "Okay other than Singapore, which doesn't count, US Airways which doesn't get enough credit (??) and the fact that AA has only two flights with said product, woohoo go American Airlines!!!!!" and giving praise where it's due, which would be first to US Airways, for pioneering the seat and installing it fleetwide, then to Singapore Airlines for having such a quality product, then to Delta, United, Virgin Atlantic, even Swiss, Austrian, Brussels etc for having a quality consistent product. Only after then should an airline like American even come into the picture.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Let's stay On Topic folks. Blog content-good or not so good.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:34 pm

In conclusion - not so good because of heavy bias towards AA.

Next topic please?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:57 pm

Should be coming soon (with arrows).
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
In conclusion - not so good because of heavy bias towards AA.
Conclusion: I, like others, don't find your assessment compelling. A blog written for what is primarily a USA-based frequent flyer audience is not surprisingly going to focus on USA-based carriers like AA (which is why SQ isn't a "TATL" carrier). A trip report about AA that talks about how lovely the business class product is on SQ/VS/DL/US/OS/SN and only tangentially mentions the actual AA product and experience would be full of irrelevancies. It's not a report about US's pioneering a seat. It's a report about AA's new product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.