Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Now, in fitting you for a cross, are you small, medium or large. :-:
I read this while on the phone and actually laughed. I think I'm gonna do like Peter on this one and duck out.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:14 pm

Lucky and Hack my Trip are hot. I'll click their links any day.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther
Because without a forum, it would never get discussed!
It's getting discussed in a thread with 2,300 posts (I call those "megathreads"). With a Blog forum, it would be a topic of its own and we could focus on just that one issue versus wading through hundreds of others in a megathread.

Look at it from the viewpoint of a new member just finding this forum. Do you really think a discussion about a new credit card is going to stand out when they see a thread with 2,300 posts? Are they even going to know it's a topic here before they wade through all 2,300 posts? How can FlyerTalk provide the maximum value to that new member?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Even as a blog defender I have to say the latest round of Barclays pimping is vomit inducing. It's either that or all the crazy roller coasters my kids are dragging me on at Universal but I sure want to puke
^

Couldn't agree more. 2% cashback cards are nothing new, but all of a sudden a 2.2% card comes around, and it's all the rage! That, or a fresh round of affiliate links for the new quarter. Hmm...
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:34 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
^

Couldn't agree more. 2% cashback cards are nothing new, but all of a sudden a 2.2% card comes around, and it's all the rage! That, or a fresh round of affiliate links for the new quarter. Hmm...
Quotas are a b!tch, man! @:-)
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:36 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Me too. I think it was Hack My Trip first? Then TPG, lucky, and today, MV and MMS.
Everyone's pushing, so it must be a great card.
(Thank you everyone for reading this post, some links may ...................... etc. etc. etc.)
I shared it because the bonus increased and it seemed like a good alternative to the Hilton Amex cards for those who like to buy Vanilla Reloads at CVS stores. I won't apologize for that. 2.2% is nothing new. A $400 bonus is new, and it makes it more interesting.

But there is an amusing story behind the sequence of events:

I shared it first because I got the link first and hadn't seen it on any other blog. Why? Because they work with FlexOffers and I don't, and FlexOffers was apparently slow in pushing it out. A couple bloggers assumed that I had been pimping a public offer without getting paid and actually suggested I use THEIR affiliate links, so yes, this kind of stupid s*** does happen.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Scottrick
A couple bloggers assumed that I had been pimping a public offer without getting paid and actually suggested I use THEIR affiliate links, so yes, this kind of stupid s*** does happen.
you should expose them, if you truly find that kind of stuff s****y
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by freeloader
you should expose them, if you truly find that kind of stuff s****y
I don't think naming names is that important. I do think this thread has value. Everything that people complain about in this thread is true. It happens. It's not always the people you claim are doing it, or for the same reasons, but someone is doing it. I get to see the ugly underbelly even if for certain reasons I can't always talk about it publicly.

I read this thread to keep track of what people find offensive and adjust my approach as necessary. Like Mommy Points' decision to turn down the Club Carlson free nights and The Points Guy's decision to pay his own flight, some of us do try to stay honest. We won't always agree with all of you, but we do think about it.

Some bloggers hate this thread or just ignore it. I think some of the complaints can get overly aggressive. That doesn't mean you should stop complaining. Just try to keep some perspective and, like others have suggested, make it a platform for constructive criticism rather than bashing and name-calling.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:09 pm

I shared it because the bonus increased and it seemed like a good alternative to the Hilton Amex cards for those who like to buy Vanilla Reloads at CVS stores. I won't apologize for that. 2.2% is nothing new. A $400 bonus is new, and it makes it more interesting.

But there is an amusing story behind the sequence of events:

I shared it first because I got the link first and hadn't seen it on any other blog. Why? Because they work with FlexOffers and I don't, and FlexOffers was apparently slow in pushing it out. A couple bloggers assumed that I had been pimping a public offer without getting paid and actually suggested I use THEIR affiliate links, so yes, this kind of stupid s*** does happen.
Fair enough. Shame to those who asked you. I just don't like how 5 other bloggers copied the EXACT SAME THING 2 HOURS AFTER.

It's like the posts on SPG Double Take. I'm doing a double take.

I don't think naming names is that important. I do think this thread has value. Everything that people complain about in this thread is true. It happens. It's not always the people you claim are doing it, or for the same reasons, but someone is doing it. I get to see the ugly underbelly even if for certain reasons I can't always talk about it publicly.

I read this thread to keep track of what people find offensive and adjust my approach as necessary. Like Mommy Points' decision to turn down the Club Carlson free nights and The Points Guy's decision to pay his own flight, some of us do try to stay honest. We won't always agree with all of you, but we do think about it.

Some bloggers hate this thread or just ignore it. I think some of the complaints can get overly aggressive. That doesn't mean you should stop complaining. Just try to keep some perspective and, like others have suggested, make it a platform for constructive criticism rather than bashing and name-calling.
Can someone please tell me why accepting the Club Carlson offer or the AA biz tickets are "selling out?"
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Can someone please tell me why accepting the Club Carlson offer or the AA biz tickets are "selling out?"
I agree. That doesn't bother me.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by jessicatravels
Lucky and Hack my Trip are hot. I'll click their links any day.
Are you suggesting that they start posing in their photos for eye candy?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:17 pm

It doesn't bother me as long as it's disclosed. It bothers some bloggers. My suggestion is that the bloggers are paying attention, and some are making an effort to stay honest. This is one way of doing that, and others will find other ways.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by milesmuncher
I don't understand the hatred for this offer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the other 2% cards have no sign-up bonus, or maybe $50? This one is $440 back on any travel purchase, which pretty much everyone in this forum spends.

Is it just me or is $440 a good tradeoff for a TransUnion inquiry? It's from Barclays, a gimme/add-on for most people who churn cards regularly. CapitalOne's 110k match was popular, and it was $1100 cash back for 3 inquiries (one each bureau).
The minimum spend is only $1000, of which $400 can be reimbursed before the statement even closes.

And the public offers is exactly the same as the affiliate.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tjbrooks
I don't understand the hatred for this offer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the other 2% cards have no sign-up bonus, or maybe $50? This one is $440 back on any travel purchase, which pretty much everyone in this forum spends.

Is it just me or is $440 a good tradeoff for a TransUnion inquiry? It's from Barclays, a gimme/add-on for most people who churn cards regularly. CapitalOne's 110k match was popular, and it was $1100 cash back for 3 inquiries (one each bureau).
The minimum spend is only $1000, of which $400 can be reimbursed before the statement even closes.

And the public offers is exactly the same as the affiliate.
I dont think there was any hatred for the offer, its a nice offer; rather this offer is not new (its been around before) but suddenly now that it has an affliate link, its treated like that greatest card in the world by some bloggers.

regarding the AA business class seat - if you fancy yourself a reviewer of premium cabins, and you make that one of the main missions of your blog, you should do your best to review them objectively (without massive comps and conflicts of interest), if that is truly your goal. especially when you likely have millions of AA miles.

also kudos scott, i've subscribed to your blog from day one. always found it to be extremely interesting and informative, and i appreciate your candor
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by freeloader
I dont think there was any hatred for the offer, its a nice offer; rather this offer is not new (its been around before) but suddenly now that it has an affliate link, its treated like that greatest card in the world by some bloggers.
The offer is new. They doubled the sign up bonus, $220->$440.
Now I only follow a few bloggers, and I didn't really pay close attention to their Arrival posts, but most reviews were not incredibly enthusiastic. Most whined that it wasn't any good for First Class redemptions. I checked TPG just now and he didn't even use the word "Amazing"in his entire review.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.