Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Response to Travel is free:

If you think this is an insane thread, you simply have not been around FT long enough!

I feel an intense urge to yawn...like 58,000 times

By the way, Travel is not free. Never was actually...
This isn't my first handle friend... I've been around and know the ways of FT.

I don't understand the shot at my name but I like it. :-p to me it's a double meaning. When I hitchhiked across the US, It was one of the most freeing experience of my life and it didn't cost a dime.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:41 am

Is there an emoticon of me shooting myself? Honestly. It's like reading "Grumpy Old Men: Flyertalk." I'm honestly picturing yall as a group of old men, sitting on a porch, mad at people who are influenced by money (EVERYONE), still refusing to buy a cell phone.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
Originally Posted by jessicatravels
Is there an emoticon of me shooting myself? Honestly. It's like reading "Grumpy Old Men: Flyertalk." I'm honestly picturing yall as a group of old men, sitting on a porch, mad at people who are influenced by money (EVERYONE), still refusing to buy a cell phone.
Statler & Waldorf: Flyertalk Edition!

Gems such as

WALDORF: They aren’t half bad.
STATLER: Nope, they’re ALL bad!

Statler: Well, that was different.
Waldorf: Yep. Lousy...
Both: ...but different!

S&W: Boo, boo!
Sheep: Baah, baah!
S&W: Humbug, humbug!

Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther
Statler & Waldorf: Flyertalk Edition!

Gems such as
LOL ^
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:11 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by travelisfree
Business venture or not, they're just people.

If this was 150+ pages (and ever growing) of actually productive criticism... that would be one thing. But the reality is it's just the same crap. People saying how much they hate TPG, FTG, credit card links, etc...
Sure, I don't want to read about a crappy cash back card but this is just an insane thread. It's already been said. Over and over.

When I was in high school I would argue with my friends intensely about the best band in the world. But you grow up and realize it doesn't actually matter. And you one day realize you're just a nerd arguing with nerds and the argument will never ever matter. When you prove the best band... then what? Nothing.

153 pages of complaining... then what? But maybe most of you are teenagers.

Please, take my advice: Let it go. Hate breads hate. "The fist begets the spear."
You must really hate the Starwood forum then, huh. Just a bunch of cranks talking about the starwood preferred guest program and talking about the hotels, complaining about not getting upgrades, b!tching about devaluations.

And the United forum must he hell for you. Bunch of over-entitled million milers going on and on crying about losing the benefits they were promised, complaining about Smisek selling their upgrades to blue-cards.

All of FlyerTalk must be one big pile of 'just the same crap.'
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: A few
Even as a blog defender I have to say the latest round of Barclays pimping is vomit inducing. It's either that or all the crazy roller coasters my kids are dragging me on at Universal but I sure want to puke
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
You must really hate the Starwood forum then, huh. Just a bunch of cranks talking about the starwood preferred guest program and talking about the hotels, complaining about not getting upgrades, b!tching about devaluations.

And the United forum must he hell for you. Bunch of over-entitled million milers going on and on crying about losing the benefits they were promised, complaining about Smisek selling their upgrades to blue-cards.

All of FlyerTalk must be one big pile of 'just the same crap.'
I don't want to get into it and be a martyr for bloggers... But I just think that these bloggers probably read this thread from time to time. They're people and hardly a corporate policy.

oh well
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:01 am

I hope you can focus on my greater point and not pick at the details of what I'm saying.

But I can clarify. Yes, I skip over every weekly post on the best credit cards, but I still read blogs. BUT my point is that the complaint right there is what this entire thread is about. And thus, it's already been said... no need to continue. I see it as counter-productive to have 100 post on how much I hate blogs. It's just fruitlessly dogmatic.

And my greater point is that being dogmatic about vain things is ultimately a sign of youth and/or immaturity.
Can you? I have feedly and I still have to scroll down 5+ posts of pimping the exact same thing.
But, yes, bashing is immature... but that's why it's hilarious.

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Even as a blog defender I have to say the latest round of Barclays pimping is vomit inducing. It's either that or all the crazy roller coasters my kids are dragging me on at Universal but I sure want to puke
Me too. I think it was Hack My Trip first? Then TPG, lucky, and today, MV and MMS.
Everyone's pushing, so it must be a great card.
(Thank you everyone for reading this post, some links may ...................... etc. etc. etc.)
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:21 am

I can think of 1 blog that didn't.

Also, Irony is that we're having this conversation around these credit card links.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:23 am

Also, Irony is that we're having this conversation around these credit card links.
I think the consensus that cc links may affect the quality and usefulness of the blog.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:32 am

I meant we're actually having this conversation around credit card links. I see 4 Explorer cards on this page.

update: i see 5 on this page.

Last edited by travelisfree; Apr 4, 2013 at 11:46 am
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Gold
I meant we're actually having this conversation around credit card links. I see 4 Explorer cards on this page.
Not with ......., you don't Unfortunately ....... doesn't hide blogger links.

Personally I've found blogger content the last ~2 months to be pretty bad. I used to have a number of things pop up in my Google reader that I'd take the time to read + read helpful comments. More and more I find myself simply checking things off after seeing the headline. Very little valuable content being distributed these days.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:51 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I don't want to get into it and be a martyr for bloggers... But I just think that these bloggers probably read this thread from time to time. They're people and hardly a corporate policy.

oh well
Oh, I HOPE blog editors/ceos read this thread. Just like I hope the Smisek reads the United forum.

Any commercial points and miles service provider could learn a lot about what savvy point and mile hoarders think by reading threads about them on FlyerTalk. @:-)^

Now, in fitting you for a cross, are you small, medium or large. :-:
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Woudn't it be great to have a forum on FT where you could start that as a topic and discuss how the various blogs are treating it? The Talk Board is voting on that right now. Please add your input (would be nice to see some new posters over on that forum besides old-timers kokonutz and me).
Comments Welcome-Voting Underway: Create a 'Points & Miles Blogs' Forum
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
Originally Posted by tom911
Woudn't it be great to have a forum on FT where you could start that as a topic and discuss how the various blogs are treating it? The Talk Board is voting on that right now. Please add your input (would be nice to see some new posters over on that forum besides old-timers kokonutz and me).
Comments Welcome-Voting Underway: Create a 'Points & Miles Blogs' Forum
Because without a forum, it would never get discussed!

Except...

It's being discussed. Right here! And the reason I know that is because you quoted from the discussion. In this very thread! @:-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.