Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
What about that phrase was disrespectful? And is the "IMO" there you speaking as a member or as a moderator?

If it is not possible to discuss both the positive and negative aspects of a topic then this becomes worthless as a venue. Using moderation to push an agenda by only allowing one side of a discussion is a bad play. I strongly urge you to reconsider that plan.
The phrase in question is still defamation as written especially when presented flatly as being factual.

It's quite possible to present a negative opinion of a blog by presenting factual information and stating your opinion on such without using broad generalizations, defamation, etc.

The point is not to eliminate negative aspects of the topic. It's that we need to do so in a thoughtful, respectful way. While it may be quicker and easier to drop one-liners, make broad generalizations, or speculate on the motive of bloggers, we need to step up our game and make well presented arguments supporting our opinions on the topic whether positive or negative. And I do mean we as I am guilty of a thoughtless one-liner or two in the past towards bloggers I haven't agreed with.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:00 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The most useful blogs are those written for the reader rather than about the blogger.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
The most useful blogs are those written for the reader rather than about the blogger.
Well said.....
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:35 am

Easier said than done though... for example lucky's super long post on his valuation of points.

Either he's writing the post because he wants readers to learn, sticking a bunch of links in there, or on the flip side he needs his clicks on his links for cash from flexoffers, so he finds a topic where he can stick large amounts of links in.

That would be true if in reality blogs were much more simple.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 1:29 am

i follow you

+1 ^_^
Old Mar 29, 2013, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
why don't you guys just create your own site where you can all drown in each other's hatred and vitriol against bloggers? it would be such a great place. no moderation, just ...... moan all you can manage. which appears to be quite a lot
Because there's no need to - there's a thread right here on FlyerTalk.

And if certain readers don't like what they are reading they can either-

- Discuss the argument using facts
- Not read the thread

Simple, isn't it?

Often it appears that a blog is written for the reader, especially from a newbie perspective, but on closer examination turns out to be the reverse.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 5:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by saacman5033
The phrase in question is still defamation as written especially when presented flatly as being factual.
So then prefacing it with "I believe" makes it my opinion and therefore kosher, right?

And since when is commenting on the perceived tone of content published in another venue either defamation or subject to the ToS rules here?

The sudden and significant change of moderation policy as it applies to this thread (and this whole forum?? and FT in general???) is most unfortunate.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 5:49 am

I remember when prohibitions on arguing (much less quibbling) over moderator actions in posts on FT was an enforced term of service.

Did this change? When? Why?

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Mar 29, 2013 at 9:26 am
Old Mar 29, 2013, 5:56 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
And if certain readers don't like what they are reading they can either-

- Discuss the argument using facts
- Not read the thread

Simple, isn't it?
There is very little discussion going on here. There is mostly just a group of people who no matter what is said, post spiteful and hateful comments.

There is a much smaller subset of people actually engaging in meaningful discussion.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 6:06 am

I don't know about you, but answering a reader question of "is it okay to skip the return segment of a return ticket" with another spiel about Chase cards justifies the response it is currently receiving.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
So then prefacing it with "I believe" makes it my opinion and therefore kosher, right?

And since when is commenting on the perceived tone of content published in another venue either defamation or subject to the ToS rules here?

The sudden and significant change of moderation policy as it applies to this thread (and this whole forum?? and FT in general???) is most unfortunate.
^And why is the policy seeming to only be in place here? i.e., browse the UA, DL, AA, etc forums... things like "United hates Silver Premiers" for just one mild example among many, many comments along the same lines. I honestly don't understand the distinction.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
I remember when probphibitions on arguing (much less quibbling) over moderator actions in posts on FT was an enforced term of service.

Did this change? When? Why.
That, too, has never been an absolute. There are plenty of threads where it is invited or encouraged.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:14 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Well here is your opportunity to make it clear that it is ok to talk about the blogs themselves as well as the blog posts:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ogs-forum.html

If you feel strongly about this issue then I strongly encourage you to post your thoughts there (not just 'yes' or 'no,' but actual arguments in favor or against) because there are at least 2 or 3 TalkBoard members who are firmly on the fence on this motion, and are waiting to see what the FlyerTalk posters have to say about it.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:37 am

That, too, has never been an absolute. There are plenty of threads where it is invited or encouraged.
There are examples of everything in the lengthy history of FT, but the overwhelming practice as recently as a few years ago was that any mention of moderator judgement was forbidden and repeat offenders were suspended.

At the time I found this limited discussion but applied to this thread, it would seem a welcome return to reasoned dialogue.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:44 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by yerffej201
lucky's super long post on his valuation of points.

Either he's writing the post because he wants readers to learn, sticking a bunch of links in there, or on the flip side he needs his clicks on his links for cash from flexoffers, so he finds a topic where he can stick large amounts of links in.
It's pretty clear which he is doing, IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.