Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by superflyer99
Right now it looks like 2011 and 2012 were the peak years for bloggers. Chase has pulled back. Most CC offers are much poorer=fewer applications/less compenstation. Less revenue for the bloggers => fewer bloggers that can make a living from the activity. On the other hand, some will be able to create more revenue from associated businesses including award booking services.
I would think award booking services were in their prime before 2012 and the credit cards.
And not necessarily. Just look at tpg and his link farm. So much more junk nowadays.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by yerffej201
I would think award booking services were in their prime before 2012 and the credit cards.
And not necessarily. Just look at tpg and his link farm. So much more junk nowadays.
well, if affiliate marketing dies out, there's always network marketing! Multi Level Marketing opportunities!
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LongviewTX
The barriers are probably not as low as you may think as well - most successful blogs out here are not simply repackaging the information available elsewhere but bring significant 'value add' this way or the other.
The barriers to entry are well known: a computer and an Internet connection. That is pretty low.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by jspira
The barriers to entry are well known: a computer and an Internet connection. That is pretty low.
I don't think it's that simple anymore. The barriers to entry appear to be quite high now, IF you're talking about being approved to become a credit card affiliate. There appears to only be one company offering enticing incentives to market credit card referrals, FlexOffers. From what I've read, they only want established bloggers with high visibility and a high page rank.
So if you want to get into the world of credit card affiliates as a travel blogger, you're looking at a serious investment of time and effort (and most likely money) to be even considered by FlexOffers. And even then it's a fairly opaque process for getting approved for individual banks.
Add to that the agreements that FlexOffers have with bloggers that prevent disclosure of compensation, and prevent any kickbacks from being offered. In any form.
And First2Board formed with a no-credit-card-referrals policy. But they're using FlexOffers for regular ads.
It doesn't seem like an open market to me, but I'm an engineer, not an economist.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by superflyer99
Right now it looks like 2011 and 2012 were the peak years for bloggers. Chase has pulled back. Most CC offers are much poorer=fewer applications/less compenstation. Less revenue for the bloggers => fewer bloggers that can make a living from the activity. On the other hand, some will be able to create more revenue from associated businesses including award booking services.
A limiting factor on the number of sign ups has to be the ability to show people how to meet the spending requirement for the bonus. It would make sense to me that a majority of sign ups would come from repeat business. That is to say, if you can show someone how to churn cards and meet the required spending... they will be more likely to use more than one of your links.. and probably account for a large % of your overall cc sign ups.

If you removed all manufactured spending methods I think it would be more like it was before 2010. There is an area of travel blogging that puts more focus on trip reports. Usually bloggers that are interviewed on millionmilesecrets that don't have enough traffic to get into the referral business.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by jammanxc
well, if affiliate marketing dies out, there's always network marketing! Multi Level Marketing opportunities!
Become your own bentoffers or wait, your own cashback portals!

Originally Posted by jspira
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
A limiting factor on the number of sign ups has to be the ability to show people how to meet the spending requirement for the bonus. It would make sense to me that a majority of sign ups would come from repeat business. That is to say, if you can show someone how to churn cards and meet the required spending... they will be more likely to use more than one of your links.. and probably account for a large % of your overall cc sign ups.

If you removed all manufactured spending methods I think it would be more like it was before 2010. There is an area of travel blogging that puts more focus on trip reports. Usually bloggers that are interviewed on millionmilesecrets that don't have enough traffic to get into the referral business.
Most of the bloggers today have been interviewed by MMS. The barrier[s] to entry are how well you can write and how popular you can become so you can get links.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:39 am

Programs: Platinum Sky Pimp
This is why I love browsing TPG link farm

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/03/sr-c...return-flight/

Todays question comes from Dixie Reckt out of S. Carolina - "Can You Buy A Roundtrip Ticket And Not Take The Return Flight?". Right, you think finally today is the day when I can click on this and find something useful without 12 links to credit card offers and/or explanations on how to buy gift cards with Ink Bold card. I mean its about not flying return leg of my flight. Not this time!

PS: Oh, and the complex answer to your question Dixie is - Yes. But by the time you get to paragraph three of today's post no-one really cares about that any longer.

Last edited by philemer; Mar 18, 2013 at 11:35 am Reason: removed offensive material
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:09 am

Reminds me of the Big Bang Theory episode where Sheldon and Leonard hypothesise that Howard can link any topic back to the fact that he was up in space. Replace Howard with TPG and space with Chase Bolded Ultimate Sapphire Freedom Liberty Card, and ta-da.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:40 am

Sorry that you were disappointed that I didn't take the poverty bus and I did in fact only visit Masada to "enjoy the sweeping desert and Dead Sea views from the top." We were up on top of Masada and came straight down in less than an hour. I'm not blogging to teach a history lesson...
This is one of the worst responses to criticism I've ever seen by a so-called professional writer.

Would you like to try again?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:52 am

Read elsewhere on a blog today ....

Did you notice that cancelling a credit card will NOT immediately reduce your Length of Credit History? That’s because your Length of Credit History already decreased when you applied for the card!
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201

Most of the bloggers today have been interviewed by MMS. The barrier[s] to entry are how well you can write and how popular you can become so you can get links.
Actually neither is a barrier to entry for a blogger. They are barriers to success but not barriers to entry and that is what we are currently discussing.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
I don't think it's that simple anymore. The barriers to entry appear to be quite high now, IF you're talking about being approved to become a credit card affiliate.
Those are barriers to making money with a website, not barriers to entry.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:05 am

Sorry that you were disappointed that I didn't take the poverty bus and I did in fact only visit Masada to "enjoy the sweeping desert and Dead Sea views from the top." We were up on top of Masada and came straight down in less than an hour. I'm not blogging to teach a history lesson...
Originally Posted by hsilman
This is one of the worst responses to criticism I've ever seen by a so-called professional writer.

Would you like to try again?
I'm not sure I even understand what the first party meant by "poverty bus" but it doesn't sound good.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:35 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Reminds me of the Big Bang Theory episode where Sheldon and Leonard hypothesise that Howard can link any topic back to the fact that he was up in space. Replace Howard with TPG and space with Chase Bolded Ultimate Sapphire Freedom Liberty Card, and ta-da.
Or Rainman: 'Credit card link. Definitely credit card link. 'Course it's 10 minutes to credit card link.'

Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:56 am

Regarding the whole Masada trip and the back and forth there: I think everyone is confusing two distinct types of blogging and travel writing in general. There are destination travel pieces that are designed to help you plan your trip, learn more about a destination, or just live vicariously through the author as he/she experiences somewhere that you may not be able to visit. There is nothing wrong with that. I have been to Israel many times, but I read that blog post series so I can learn more about the Le Meridian Dead Sea, that I will visit for the first time later this year. Good stuff for my purposes, but Conde Nast it was not.

On the other hand, the point/mile bloggers write what are called service pieces. These focus less on the destination (or not at all), and teach people about the "how to" of travel. It is easy to forget that most leisure travelers leave home less than once or twice a year, and don't know most of the stuff we write about.

If you think there are a lot of point/mile bloggers, than you have no idea how many people write about just destinations and barely know a thing about points and miles. There are probably 100 destination writers for every service writer, both online and especially in print. Destination people are all about going to the ends of the earth for adventure, culture, food, photography, language, etc. In contrast, point/mile bloggers and writers tend to stick to the major cities and stay at a western chain hotel.

To make matters more confusing, a lot of point/mile bloggers will feature destinations, but usually just short photo essays of the hotel and business lounge.

So there you have it; don't jump on a point/mile blogger for an inadequate destination piece any more than you would criticize a Nat. Geo. writer for not explaining how to go to Borneo with points and miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.