Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:04 am

Blogs for us In the UK

There are plenty of blogs on how to collect points in the USA etc, but not so many (apart from a few threads on here) for us in the UK... Does anyone know of any?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
There are 2 on Boarding Area. Randy Petersen pro-actively got the author to start Miles From Blighty for the very reason you mention, and the GhettoIFE blog on there is also written by in the UK.

Not that there is much on any blog that isn't nicked from FT in the first place, of course!

Business Traveller magazine also has an online forum which, simply because of the magazine's focus, has a strong UK perspective.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 75K
Here the ones I frequent:

Most dense/comprehensive information(I check these daily):
thepointsguy.com
view from the wing
one mile at a time (+ travelsort blog)

Good Deals/Fun topics(Check about once a week):
frugaltravelguy
mommypoints
millionmilesecrets
dansdeals

Great for hotel information(Check about once a month):
Loyalty Traveller
Old Jan 21, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: Starwood, Delta, American Airlines, USA, United
Originally Posted by allensun
Here the ones I frequent:

Most dense/comprehensive information(I check these daily):
thepointsguy.com
view from the wing
one mile at a time (+ travelsort blog)

Good Deals/Fun topics(Check about once a week):
frugaltravelguy
mommypoints
millionmilesecrets
dansdeals

Great for hotel information(Check about once a month):
Loyalty Traveller
These are all excellent choices, but I also like the lesser known ones:
the man of a thousand places
infamousdx
inacents
onlinetravelreview
mileagesaver
Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by worldtraveller2
These are all excellent choices, but I also like the lesser known ones:
the man of a thousand places
infamousdx
inacents
onlinetravelreview
mileagesaver
Appreciate the heads up on some of the lesser known sites
Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, BA, HH, IHG
Another lesser known site but on my list of daily reads: RapidTravel Chai. There is a link to it on frugaltravelguys blog.

Stephen is an articulate, witty, and entertaining writer. His emphasis is on getting the most out of short trips. He does have some credit card links on his website, but his emphasis is on finding interesting things to see/do in his travels.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
When Million Mile Secrets came online, I found it to have information that I haven't seen anywhere else. I was very impressed with the content and find the interviews interesting - also something not seen elsewhere.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by PatMike
I was very impressed with the content
Really?? I find myself completely unable to bear the ridiculously overwrought prose!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by beltway
Really?? I find myself completely unable to bear the ridiculously overwrought prose!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's painful reading, for sure.

Then there's the truth-twisting to grab attention, such as today's 320,000 point App-o-Rama (God, that vile term makes me shudder) which, on closer inspection, was nothing of the sort...
Old Jan 23, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, BA, HH, IHG
320000 mile app-o-rama

Do you mean that the miles were not earned? In what way was his post not truthful?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by guera
Do you mean that the miles were not earned? In what way was his post not truthful?
It is accurate, however some of the card bonuses had to be transferred to another program which offered more total points. HHonors points are not as valuable as most other programs' benefits on a per individual point basis. I do greatly enjoy that site, though I definitely do agree with the overwrought prose. I also wonder if he has the same headline writing training as the folks from the New York Post and New York Daily News!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: As many as I can!
Thanks for the feedback, folks!

Miles and Points do excite me, and that does come across in my writing.

As for today's post, well, I did earn 320,000 Miles and Points exactly how I described it in the post.

Yes, I did transfer Virgin and Hawaiian Airline miles and points to Hilton because I have no use for Virgin and Hawaiian Airline miles and prefer Hilton points.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: many
Reader be aware

I for one enjoy Daraius will address a concern or criticism and explain what he meant. Unlike other popular blogger(s) who clearly choose to purposely ignore factual evidence opposing their advice both via private email and in their comments sections.

In my opinion, one really needs to remind themselves to dissect the information for what your priority is out of it versus just reacting to everything as if cattle-prodded. Bloggers are so clearly biased in their recommendations of deals and credit cards in particular.

Its clear the bloggers are in cahoot, and even some are now just one big corporate entity Internet Brands, what also owns FlyerTalk, FrugalTravelGuy, and a host of others. I dont mind much, without these sources, we all wouldnt be as far ahead as we are. Good for them selling out their businesses and making a profit.

Just be aware, there is a man behind the curtain in this land of Oz.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:38 am

I'm annoyed when anyone, especially travel bloggers, use the term Travel Hacking.

Travel Hacking = Someone who obtains 90%+ of their miles via credit card sign ups.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by guera
Lots of miles and points can be transferred into lots of other miles and points, often not at a 1:1 ratio. To claim a "320,000 mile/point App-o-rama" (God... you made me say it again) when in reality to only arrived at that figure by performing subsequent points exchanges is misleading. It basically inflates the overall number and makes for a more sensational headline. But - if that's the kind of blog he wants it to be then that's up to him.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.