Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by The Deal Mommy
2. I don't understand why anyone expects content to be free! We pay authors for books, we pay musicians for music, why on earth is it a sin for any blog to host ads? Of course, you don't want annoying pop-ups, viruses, or misleading offers, but I simply don't get the backlash for providing voluntary, opt-in ways to support writers you enjoy.

(Ducks and runs for cover)
No need to duck.... but I guess why most of us expect blogging content to be free is that most bloggers expect the same. That's how most content here ends up on the blogs eventually.

And (random) adds on a blog is quite a difference than including them in your text..... which can really taint your content.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
And (random) adds on a blog is quite a difference than including them in your text..... which can really taint your content.
Exactly. UPGRD has plenty of credit card ads, but they're clear that they're ads. Blatant advertising disguised as helpful content is where things start to go wrong.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:46 am
Used to be diaworld

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Dontcareist,
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Exactly. UPGRD has plenty of credit card ads, but they're clear that they're ads. Blatant advertising disguised as helpful content is where things start to go wrong.
Fair enough. Please keep in mind the FT crowd is but 1% of 1% of the traveling public. The vast majority of folks just want info: quickly referenced, fairly presented, and easily understood. I think most users (as in the ones who are not on FT and use blogs as a resource and or hobby) view embedded links as useful and as long as the blogger has earned the trust of the reader it's a win-win. IMHO, it's on the blogger to present the best info available, and on the reader to chose which blogs to read and which bloggers to support.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:54 am

That's a pretty fair assessment
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RTW1
No need to duck.... but I guess why most of us expect blogging content to be free is that most bloggers expect the same. That's how most content here ends up on the blogs eventually.

Nicely put.

These bloggers don't understand that (for the most part), it's not their content. The fact that it's user-generated content on FT shouldn't change that. Many of these bloggers have <500 posts. Some <100! That implies to me that they've never contributed a single deal to the community!

Think about it this way -- say I want to start a sports blog. Can I just rip every story off of ESPN and repost it on my site?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by hobo13
Many of these bloggers have <500 posts. Some <100! That implies to me that they've never contributed a single deal to the community!
^

And those who do have a number of posts are from likely before they started blogging.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Here's an idea... Why not skip the bloggers and put a PR rep on flyertalk and hawk better deals? If Starwood and other companies can create accounts and announce the latest promotions... what is stopping credit card companies from doing the same thing?

I've seen the hypothetical list of commissions paid for affiliate links, but why not come on here and skip the middle man and provide a better bonus? I'm going to guess that credit card companies have enough resources to know that they are paying money to bloggers who in turn tell people to churn their cards and use manufactured spending to meet spending thresholds for signup bonuses.

I've noticed that some of the best credit card offers lately have not come from the links bloggers provide, such as the 100k Amex Plat sign up.
Makes sense to me. As it is, there's at least two layers, right? There's the affiliate company (cardoffers) and then the bank. If these bloggers are making 6 figures a year from affiliate links, it seems like the affiliate company could capture some of that by cutting out the bloggers and coming straight to FT. Maybe cut a volume deal with IB directly.

I think there's a lot of shakeout to happen in this industry. The stuff happening now is unsustainable.

And as a good friend put it to me once, 'you never want your career to compete with a stay-at-home mom. They value their time at near $0 / hour and will run you right out of business!' He was referencing the boom in amateur photography due to the proliferation of DSLR's, but it seems just as applicable to travel blogging.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:41 am

^

And those who do have a number of posts are from likely before they started blogging.
Very true. We should start a thread to track such matters. Identify each blogger in a simple list and link to their blog. Show their post count on FT at the time that the blog started, and then what it is now. And other stats.

I've suggested numerous times before, but I do believe that an entire forum on FT devoted to the blogs would be appropriate. I would like to see a thread devoted to each blogger (or maybe a sub-forum), such that the FT community can discuss a blog's content, without doing so on the blog. The reason for this is that a.) I can EDIT, b.) I like to discuss topics with 'friends', not a bunch of anons, c.) I like to discuss in a neutrally-moderated environment.

IB should be all over it -- FT activity has to be going down due to blogs, and they should be fighting tooth-and-nail to keep the eyeballs right here. But of course, this is a big corporation, so things move at a snails pace.

Instead, we get this one silly thread to discuss ALL blogs under the guise of 'which one is most useful?'. It's laughable.

And I'm sure my PM box will start filling up with nastygrams with bloggers telling me why we can't do this. Heck, I've already got one this morning! I will promise you that there are a few bloggers who PM more than they post..... too funny.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:02 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Very true. We should start a thread to track such matters. Identify each blogger in a simple list and link to their blog. Show their post count on FT at the time that the blog started, and then what it is now. And other stats.

I've suggested numerous times before, but I do believe that an entire forum on FT devoted to the blogs would be appropriate. I would like to see a thread devoted to each blogger (or maybe a sub-forum), such that the FT community can discuss a blog's content, without doing so on the blog. The reason for this is that a.) I can EDIT, b.) I like to discuss topics with 'friends', not a bunch of anons, c.) I like to discuss in a neutrally-moderated environment.

IB should be all over it -- FT activity has to be going down due to blogs, and they should be fighting tooth-and-nail to keep the eyeballs right here. But of course, this is a big corporation, so things move at a snails pace.

Instead, we get this one silly thread to discuss ALL blogs under the guise of 'which one is most useful?'. It's laughable.

And I'm sure my PM box will start filling up with nastygrams with bloggers telling me why we can't do this. Heck, I've already got one this morning! I will promise you that there are a few bloggers who PM more than they post..... too funny.
Neat idea.

Why not post the suggestion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Agreed - I think there is a clear line that needs to be drawn. Great for bloggers that have a large enough audience to be successful with affiliate links, but dishonestly should not be tolerated by the community.

Originally Posted by The Deal Mommy

2. I don't understand why anyone expects content to be free! We pay authors for books, we pay musicians for music, why on earth is it a sin for any blog to host ads? Of course, you don't want annoying pop-ups, viruses, or misleading offers, but I simply don't get the backlash for providing voluntary, opt-in ways to support writers you enjoy.

(Ducks and runs for cover)
I completely agree - see my comment above. There have been examples of bloggers misleading their readers into bad deals.

Originally Posted by Astrophsx

I've seen the hypothetical list of commissions paid for affiliate links, but why not come on here and skip the middle man and provide a better bonus? I'm going to guess that credit card companies have enough resources to know that they are paying money to bloggers who in turn tell people to churn their cards and use manufactured spending to meet spending thresholds for signup bonuses.
I don't know if this is really the intent of the CC companies. I think they would prefer we didn't churn - or rather that some blogger teaches you how to churn, and you muck it up either not reaching minimum spend and/or carrying a balance. Sure, the more experienced (or slightly more experienced - such as myself) users can sniff out a better deal. What is missed here is that your average Kettle who just saw an ABC story about flying for free will probably go to a blogger to learn the strategy. They probably won't think twice about clicking an affiliate link unless someone expressly explains that this may not be the best offer out there.

Every CC churn I have done has involved a mix of affiliate links and FT-derived links. If I can get the same deal through an affiliate link, then I will because I feel grateful to those who have taught me how to fly for free. That said, I don't feel so indebted to them to shoot myself in the foot and take an inferior offer.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Neat idea.

Why not post the suggestion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/

Done.

I don't visit that forum much, so if you like the idea, I'm happy to see you run with it.

OK, now I need to go put on my flame-retardant suit, as I can only imagine that every blogger and their brother (who is likely also a blogger) will be telling me how awful this idea is!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:25 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
These bloggers don't understand that (for the most part), it's not their content. The fact that it's user-generated content on FT shouldn't change that. Many of these bloggers have <500 posts. Some <100! That implies to me that they've never contributed a single deal to the community!
Or else that the blogger created a new handle after starting his/her blog. My old handle had many more comments than the current one. I didn't want people linking my new blog to comments I made before I started it.

Think about it this way -- say I want to start a sports blog. Can I just rip every story off of ESPN and repost it on my site?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. A person could copy and paste the story from ESPN verbatim. This is clear plagiarism. In fact, it happens to lots of bloggers, too. Often it's run through a translator or thesaurus to replace a few words, but it's clear they just steal it from the RSS feed. They even leave the links to my site at the bottom!

Another possibility is that someone reads the story on ESPN and writes a new one using essentially the same facts and opinion. But this is not as easy as it sounds. Often creating a plausible copy of someone else's content is almost as hard as just creating your own from scratch.

Finally, it's possible that someone watched the same football game as the ESPN reporter, has a similar interest in sports, and has similar background knowledge. ESPN doesn't have a monopoly on sports commentary, and it's unfair to assume that just because the blogger writes something similar that he or she necessarily copied it from ESPN.

At one point someone complained on my blog about a post written by AKold, saying that he had copied it from GLeff on View from the Wing. It was a story about the AAdvantage Explorer award. I didn't find any evidence that it was copied. AKold had his own unique text describing an award that lots of people know about. He had his own pictures describing the award. Other than the general topic, nothing was copied, but this one reader still believed it was a case of plagiarism. It just goes to show that you can't please everyone.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator observation

...we get this one silly thread to discuss ALL blogs under the guise of 'which one is most useful?'.
Search will reveal more than a dozen threads on this topic in MilesBuzz! in the last 18 months. Most of these threads are open, but inactive because the discussion ran its course. The others are closed for reasons which will be apparent when you look at them.

None were closed at the request of any blogger or Internet Brands.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Scottrick
Or else that the blogger created a new handle after starting his/her blog. My old handle had many more comments than the current one. I didn't want people linking my new blog to comments I made before I started it.
Isn't it against FT ToS to have more than one handle?

Your comment about plagiarism is valid. What I was trying to say (but didn't), is that most of these bloggers aren't coming up with new ideas. They just rip them from FT. I know that Frequent Miler is usually regarded as coming up with new material (which then gets stolen, LOL). If you have new material that you can claim, I'd be happy to add you to the list of bloggers who have come up with something innovative.

I'm more or less an academic. Academics's reputations are at stake, and it's often a matter of who came up with something first. That's the point of publishing and their is a community of other academics who do peer reviews. The same idea could apply here. Just as the FT community generally seems to accept that FM came up with a lot of new ideas (and as such he escapes a lot of wrath around here), other bloggers could claim to be have new ideas as well. And if that is proven out over the course of discussion, so be it. (That's the point of my new forum proposal -- we need a place to discuss this stuff.)
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by mia
Search will reveal more than a dozen threads on this topic in MilesBuzz! in the last 18 months. Most of these threads are open, but inactive because the discussion ran its course. The others are closed for reasons which will be apparent when you look at them.

None were closed at the request of any blogger or Internet Brands.
Perhaps that problem was that they were put in MilesBuzz amid a lot of CC and manufactured spend chatter (which has now been cleaned up, thankfully.) I'm proposing a new forum for these to live. Sort of like Travel News, but call it 'Blogger News'.

Plus, 18 months is an eternity. It seems a new blog starts up everyday. Just look at the activity in this thread!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.