Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Old Feb 27, 13, 12:15 pm
  #1576  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,960
Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
>>>>>I am also feeling the [TravelBlogger]Buzz on worst-of blogs...

Am I reading this correctly...you miss my old format?

I like all the bloggers, I just can't stand some of their blogging practices. I keep these two things separate, some can't. Not my problem.

I wish I had time to continue my old format...
Oh yes I do. You've gotten so soft...

Originally Posted by fishdance View Post
Was it "How to maximize your Starbucks purchase" post or today's "Please apply for these 3 Hilton cards asap"?
Please name one post, because I just looked at his index page and do not see one damned topic that would hint its worth reading.

Whats amazing about that guy is that even in Starbucks post its really not about Starbucks. It kinda goes like this - buy starbucks with gift card, buy giftcard in Office Depot, pay for it with your Chase Ink. Ahhhhh, whaaaaaaat? You don't have Chase Ink? Well shame on you!!! Here is where you get it! BTW what were we talking about? Ah, thats right coffee! Do you have your Chase Ink card yet?
I know right?
yerffej201 is offline  
Old Feb 27, 13, 1:05 pm
  #1577  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: TPA
Programs: spg gold
Posts: 351
Is it just me or is MP's getting defensive and sarcastic? I have also noticed this on her blog in the way she reply's to her comment section when other have another opinion.
jkoenig51 is offline  
Old Feb 27, 13, 1:32 pm
  #1578  
Formerly known as iahsumr
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 520
Originally Posted by jkoenig51 View Post
Is it just me or is MP's getting defensive and sarcastic? I have also noticed this on her blog in the way she reply's to her comment section when other have another opinion.
Some sarcasm in this thread for sure. Meant in good fun, but yes. Some fact correcting and/or elaboration as well. Though this will likely only fuel the fire, I will say that some of the attacks/comments do harden you a little bit over time. That isn't necessarily a good thing, but it is true.

When you wake up in the morning and have (often the same) people attacking your credibility and motives because there is something like a credit card link in a post that they don't like (even though it is to the best offer out there), it wears on you after a while. Then come the truly bizarre and offensive personal attacks that are even less on point. I generally think most people are good, but boy can folks go nuts from behind a keyboard.

This is not a tale of woe, as by and large comments, emails, reader stories, etc. are fantastic and positive, and I love writing about miles, points, and family travel, but the negativity has probably led to a bit more of a cynical view toward some things from time to time. Again, probably not a good thing, but a true statement. And, I probably over-share (like right now)....

Along those lines, I'll try to keep my mouth shut a bit more on this thread, because sarcasm can come off as mean even if it isn't intended to be.
Mommy Points is offline  
Old Mar 1, 13, 2:25 pm
  #1579  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 326
I have so many blogs in my reader lately, I really need to clean it up.

In my opinion, blogs I like are the more intelligent ones:

MillionMileSecrets
Milevalue
TheMilesProfessor
ThePointsGuy (don't find him too smart, but he has a good writing style and has a team that covers everything)
TheFrequentMiler


Maybe I can just cut it down to those five and check mileageupdate.com occasionally
Aphrodite91 is offline  
Old Mar 1, 13, 6:19 pm
  #1580  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ADL
Posts: 5,319
Originally Posted by Mommy Points View Post
Some sarcasm in this thread for sure. Meant in good fun, but yes. Some fact correcting and/or elaboration as well. Though this will likely only fuel the fire, I will say that some of the attacks/comments do harden you a little bit over time. That isn't necessarily a good thing, but it is true.

When you wake up in the morning and have (often the same) people attacking your credibility and motives because there is something like a credit card link in a post that they don't like (even though it is to the best offer out there), it wears on you after a while. Then come the truly bizarre and offensive personal attacks that are even less on point. I generally think most people are good, but boy can folks go nuts from behind a keyboard.

This is not a tale of woe, as by and large comments, emails, reader stories, etc. are fantastic and positive, and I love writing about miles, points, and family travel, but the negativity has probably led to a bit more of a cynical view toward some things from time to time. Again, probably not a good thing, but a true statement. And, I probably over-share (like right now)....

Along those lines, I'll try to keep my mouth shut a bit more on this thread, because sarcasm can come off as mean even if it isn't intended to be.
Then (and not to you in particular, but to all bloggers who claim they are getting "attacked"), rather than using sarcasm, humour and terms like "blogger basher" to try and discredit what they are saying, maybe you could instead actually listen to them and take on board people's thoughts rather than wave it off as "cynicism" and "negativity" and pretend the "fantastic and positive" comments you get are the only thoughts people are allowed to have.
belfordrocks is offline  
Old Mar 1, 13, 8:06 pm
  #1581  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 6,244
Somebody should make a pie chart for each blogger showing what threads / forums they post in on FT over the last rolling 3 months. I swear we have a bunch of bloggers who only post in this thread.... it's hilarious!

Also laughable -- those saying they only have time for a few posts (yet they can sure find time to blog, LOL!) And then those few posts are simply used to defend themselves in this thread. Also funny.
hobo13 is offline  
Old Mar 1, 13, 9:54 pm
  #1582  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 1A with Dom Perignon
Programs: Platinum Sky Pimp
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
Somebody should make a pie chart for each blogger showing what threads / forums they post in on FT over the last rolling 3 months. I swear we have a bunch of bloggers who only post in this thread.... it's hilarious!

Also laughable -- those saying they only have time for a few posts (yet they can sure find time to blog, LOL!) And then those few posts are simply used to defend themselves in this thread. Also funny.
Where are they going to find time for posts if they need to go thru entire forum to find something to write about and start new post with words
" I found this amazing deal to London on AA.com"
and then
Hat tip to mr. shmo on FT
fishdance is offline  
Old Mar 1, 13, 11:05 pm
  #1583  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORF
Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 3,388
Here's what I think is freaking hilarious. People who criticize bloggers in this thread post in comments on blogs about especially good deals here. I guess so they can look so smart. So the bloggers may not even need to look for deals here because they may get all the help they need from inside FT.
lwildernorva is offline  
Old Mar 2, 13, 10:11 am
  #1584  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Programs: DL, Amex MR
Posts: 271
Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
Here's what I think is freaking hilarious. People who criticize bloggers in this thread post in comments on blogs about especially good deals here. I guess so they can look so smart. So the bloggers may not even need to look for deals here because they may get all the help they need from inside FT.
If you think that some people are spoon feeding the bloggers by posting deals as comments on their blogs, you must be delusional.

A lot of people dislike bloggers because they use any opportunity to turn them into money making on their blogs via credit card referrals.

Is it a coincidence that the "community" has been more negative over the last couple years when there has been a huge proliferation of blogs with the more successful ones easily pulling in 6 figures? I don't think so.

The other problem is that bloggers cater and profit from people who are new to this "game". These newbies do not fully understand some basic rules that most people (I would hope) familiar with the game follow which are not calling for any reason and MODERATION.

Just read the VR thread and see how many people bragging about buying several thousand dollars worth of VR in a single instance.
satz is offline  
Old Mar 2, 13, 3:35 pm
  #1585  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 958
Originally Posted by satz View Post
Just read the VR thread and see how many people bragging about buying several thousand dollars worth of VR in a single instance.
Not sure I follow your logic. Do you disapprove of those "bragging" about buying multiple thousands of VRs? Or simply the act of buying several thousand at a time?

I think lwildernova is making a valid point about comments posted on blogs. I cringe when there are "see how much I know and how dumb you are" type posts where posters "spill the beans" about details (or just as bad, mention there are "better" methods to learn about that piques the bloggers interest - and providing fodder for another "tell-all" post).
farwest101 is offline  
Old Mar 4, 13, 9:15 am
  #1586  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,127
Originally Posted by satz View Post
These newbies do not fully understand some basic rules that most people (I would hope) familiar with the game follow which are not calling for any reason and MODERATION.
Sadly, the idea of moderation in terms of taking advantage of deals is not something which is commonly accepted, even among those who have been at it a long, long time. Indeed, some of those most ingrained in the culture have a very strong "go big or go home" approach to the deals. The people ordering hundreds of thousands of dollars in coins from the mint weren't newbies. If you look at the names on one of the pending lawsuits against Cartera, US and HA you'll similarly see a number of familiar names. These are not newbies who are abusing the system. Far from it, in fact. How else do you explain 26 people running up a tab of roughly 200,000,000 points from one of these deals. And, while FT rules prohibit me from linking the real world names to FT handles, there several I absolutely know and I'm guessing more than a few others I don't know directly.

You don't hear about the true abuses because the people effecting them generally keep them quiet. But they are very real and not being figured out by newbies.

As to bloggers not attributing deals found to FT or someone else, I have no doubt that some of that is real. I know that not all of it is, however. I get information from a lot of places, including FT, MP and other bloggers. But a recent story I posted had another blogger come after me for not sharing that I got it from them. Turns out I didn't; I got the info from the vendor directly. There are lots of places other than forums and blogs where this information exists. Jumping to the conclusion that someone is not attributing their source just because you saw it elsewhere first probably isn't always a particularly rational judgment to make.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Mar 4, 13, 9:52 am
  #1587  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Programs: DL Gold
Posts: 828
I'm now seeing VR mentions on investing boards, in communities where most people are conservative, risk averse, buy-and-hold types.

This has to come to an end soon. Simply not sustainable.
hotelmotel is offline  
Old Mar 4, 13, 11:07 am
  #1588  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Posts: 5,481
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Jumping to the conclusion that someone is not attributing their source just because you saw it elsewhere first probably isn't always a particularly rational judgment to make.
This is very true. Though I did call at one other blogger who basically ripped my material and I had a smoking glove in that they had pinpointed an upcoming hotel to the exact same co-ordinates that I had found, a lottery-winning chance of being a coincidence. But in general yes information is freely available to all of us out there.

As for your point about it being the old-timers that blow up the deals, this I could not in any way shape or form agree MORE on. All this BS that guys like MMS kill deals by pushing newbies into it is rubbish. Office Depot wasn't killed by the guy who went in and bought two VRs to meet min spend on the one credit card he dared to got. Now it was killed by the old timer who went to his local OD, bought every single card there, then went to the next one he could find like a one-man swarm of locusts. I'm aware of other deals that were brought up to the surface months ago and the guys killing them now are the ones who are pushing them to extremes that most normal people simply wouldn't bother with. Frankly that is all fine, just don't come here or blog and complain about "newbies killing deals"
ma91pmh is offline  
Old Mar 4, 13, 2:38 pm
  #1589  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA 1k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 142
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
Office Depot wasn't killed by the guy who went in and bought two VRs to meet min spend on the one credit card he dared to got. Now it was killed by the old timer who went to his local OD, bought every single card there, then went to the next one he could find like a one-man swarm of locusts.
A friend of mine tried to go buy Vanilla Reloads in Los Angeles after I told her about them. She found a CVS that had them out of stock and asked when they will have more. They told her a guy comes in every time they get a shipment and buys all of them.

Most likely, it goes even further than that. The insiders likely have insider sources at CVS that alert them when a shipment comes in.
TheMilesProfessor is offline  
Old Mar 4, 13, 2:54 pm
  #1590  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 787
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 1,269
Originally Posted by TheMilesProfessor View Post
A friend of mine tried to go buy Vanilla Reloads in Los Angeles after I told her about them. She found a CVS that had them out of stock and asked when they will have more. They told her a guy comes in every time they get a shipment and buys all of them.

Most likely, it goes even further than that. The insiders likely have insider sources at CVS that alert them when a shipment comes in.
How is he buying them if most CVS have 1K a day limit? Someone needs to call their corporate and report this BS.
ThePointsCollector is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread