Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I could care lesss about a bolgger, but without them I do not have time to find all the deals.

I am glad the care enough to share the information with me, many times explaining it to me, and hope they will always be there.

Sharing is just a form of caring.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
Um...in this case, sharing is a form of salary. Some of them do it better, just like some of us do our jobs better and show some kind of care for our customers. For some of them, it's truly an avocation - if they won the lottery, they might still continue to blog because they love the game. I have no problem clicking on a link to compensate a blogger who provides quality information. Everyone should be compensated.

Others, not so much. Their "caring" is insincere and misleads people, and they truly don't care (I judge actions, not words). Caveat emptor.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 4:25 pm

I find million miles blog useful.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
I could care lesss about a bolgger, but without them I do not have time to find all the deals.

I am glad the care enough to share the information with me, many times explaining it to me, and hope they will always be there.

With the exception of a handful (<5) bloggers, don't ever get the impression that they're there to "help"
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:16 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ddallas
I guess he does not yet have the traffic to get the other affiliate links. It looks like he is now linking to one of the blogs on boarding area that has links for other cards and sending his readers to her site to use her links for apps. Perhaps he should consider moving to Boarding Area himself so he can get his own links and stop the madness of shilling lame cards that are apparently the only ones he can currently get his own links for. That can't be helping him in the long run with readers.
I can't comment on Scott's (MileValue) thoughts, but as the other Scott (Hack My Trip) who actually does work with BoardingArea, I can provide some of my own perspective.

(1) I had my own reasons to keep my blog separate when I joined BoardingArea. I still stand by my decision despite some hiccups. Although I benefit in some ways by being affiliated with BoardingArea, having my own domain name instead of a sub-domain of BoardingArea.com is the biggest reason why Chase won't work with me. They're very keen on a high Alexa score, which I don't have. I'm willing to wait until I'm big enough to stand on my own, so for now I settle with Barclays, Citi, and US Bank. I'm hoping to get AmEx very soon.

(2) I have no idea what Scott's relationship is with Angelina or why he's passing people along to her. But I know that when I didn't have my own links, I would regularly link to other bloggers who did, usually people who helped me out when I was getting started. I think it provided value to readers just to have a list of cards even if I wasn't earning anything when they clicked on them.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
With the exception of a handful (<5) bloggers, don't ever get the impression that they're there to "help"
Someone out there does care...

Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero

^ I wondered where that came from. Freaking Barney.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:13 pm

I noticed that MV's Frontier affiliate link expired, and was replaced with no link at all and a notice that he is "searching for a new offer". Someone's not very good at googling, since it took me approximately 2 seconds to type in "frontier mastercard", and go to the public offer, which is exactly the same as the former affiliate link. Implying that there's something special about the affiliate link and neglecting to mention the eminently available and equivalent public link isn't very 'helpful'.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:18 pm

The Frontier card shouldn't be part of any reputable blog, period. Unless the term "blog" has been redefined to mean "credit card catalogue".
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
The Frontier card shouldn't be part of any reputable blog, period. Unless the term "blog" has been redefined to mean "credit card catalogue".
Well, sure, he's still inadvertently doing a public service by hopefully preventing a few people from signing up for the Frontier card. But you can be sure that as soon as a new affiliate link comes out, it's going to be one of the new top offers out there!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
I noticed that MV's Frontier affiliate link expired, and was replaced with no link at all and a notice that he is "searching for a new offer". Someone's not very good at googling, since it took me approximately 2 seconds to type in "frontier mastercard", and go to the public offer, which is exactly the same as the former affiliate link. Implying that there's something special about the affiliate link and neglecting to mention the eminently available and equivalent public link isn't very 'helpful'.
Yep, the same offer as what he had there is the first link that comes up when you google, "Frontier Airlines World MasterCard." Maybe he expects to get a new affiliate link for the card in a couple days and needs to hold off people from applying until he gets it.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:45 pm

What a humanitarian...
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:52 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 84fiero

^
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>>>>>>>>>we all know that you can't get approved because of your bad credit... us bank says so...

Come again? Approved today! USCrank Bank 0 TBB 1...hopefully many more

As far as the blogs go, I used to feature these blog posts as "Not so Best of". It got to the point that I did not have time to go to the bathroom! So I had to adjust my blog to keep my sanity. This miles/points stuff has always been a hobby for me, it is quite amusing and entertaining to watch the developments in it since the mid 90s. I can spot the good, the bad and the ugly from miles away now. If there were no aff $$ involved most bloggers in this space would not be blogging!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop
If there were no aff $$ involved most bloggers in this space would not be blogging!
And that's how it should be... those who truly have a passion for blogging should be rewarded for doing so, while those who are nothing but credit card shills should be given the derision they rightfully deserve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.