Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:00 am

One other tidbit that puts the commission list in perspective is the Amex cashback that FatWallet used to offer for referral CC signups (up until about 2 months ago) -- it was $40 for most Amex consumer cards, more for business, and went as high as $150 for the Business plat. Obviously the actual commission paid to FatWallet would've been substantially higher, and 2x seems like a reasonable ballpark (which is roughly in line with the list).
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Now one can only imagine how much the Chase Ink are paying out and why the Citi Hilton Reserve became SO valuable
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by satz
Now one can only imagine how much the Chase Ink are paying out and why the Citi Hilton Reserve became SO valuable
I'll be honest here the Ink was valuable for the VRs at OD and its still valuable for the 50k sign up. Hilton was also valuable for the 2 free nights. The fact that a blogger gets paid for me clicking their link is ok for them but Im still doing it for the points/miles not for the blogger.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by MileageUpdate
I'll be honest here the Ink was valuable for the VRs at OD and its still valuable for the 50k sign up. Hilton was also valuable for the 2 free nights. The fact that a blogger gets paid for me clicking their link is ok for them but Im still doing it for the points/miles not for the blogger.
The point is if tomorrow a card comes out with 3 bonus miles signup, $400 annual fee and .50 cent transaction cost but referral kickback of $500, you will see sticky topics on those blogs screaming how this is such a great deal just because card has great design and some super triple chip protection feature.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
The point is if tomorrow a card comes out with 3 bonus miles signup, $400 annual fee and .50 cent transaction cost but referral kickback of $500, you will see sticky topics on those blogs screaming how this is such a great deal just because card has great design and some super triple chip protection feature.
I understand that. But Im saying I dont care what there reason for pumping the card is. I get it that its their #1 form of compensation. But ultimately I am deciding on the card based on need not on their perks.

If Im getting 50k pts or 2 free nights I dont care if they get paid as well.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I 'll click the s**t out of an affiliate link for a card that comes with a super triple chip protection feature!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
sadly this is true

i would say the one and only exception is mms who does a good job of putting forward a really balanced view. but my guess is he has to fight with flexoffers and the issuers on this front, whereas the rest of the crew just fold and pimp what they are told to pimp

and then there is milevalue who has sold out so much it is truly hilarious to watch. pimping frontier and discover with no bonus, that literally just makes me laugh out loud
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by gpapadop
I 'll click the s**t out of an affiliate link for a card that comes with a super triple chip protection feature!
clicking is no good.... we all know that you can't get approved because of your bad credit... us bank says so...
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As has been said many times in this thread before, please realize that, for a new credit card application, going directly to a bank's site by typing their URL in the address bar is the best way to keep this situation alive.

-It reduces the cost to the banks since they pay no referral fee.

-It starves the bloggers who seek to expose deals for their own ends.

I realize both are probably small potatoes, but any bit helps.

We have interests too - let's put ours first.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
...and then there is milevalue who has sold out so much it is truly hilarious to watch. pimping frontier and discover with no bonus, that literally just makes me laugh out loud
I guess he does not yet have the traffic to get the other affiliate links. It looks like he is now linking to one of the blogs on boarding area that has links for other cards and sending his readers to her site to use her links for apps. Perhaps he should consider moving to Boarding Area himself so he can get his own links and stop the madness of shilling lame cards that are apparently the only ones he can currently get his own links for. That can't be helping him in the long run with readers.

Last edited by ddallas; Feb 22, 2013 at 11:23 am
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by ddallas
I guess he does not yet have the traffic to get the other affiliate links. It looks like he is now linking to one of the blogs on boarding area that has links for other cards and sending his readers to her site to use her links for apps. Perhaps he should consider moving to Boarding Area himself so he can get his own links and stop the madness of shilling lame cards that are apparently the only ones he can currently get his own links for. That can't be helping him in the long run with readers.
The bizarre thing is that I'm sure he WAS building a substantial readership back when he was pumping out quality content that wasn't swimming in a sea of obvious CC shill posts. It's like he's desperate for cash and wants to cash out regardless of how much it devalues the blog (I doubt it, but that's how it looks).
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:44 pm
Formerly known as jdd2po

Originally Posted by fresar
a list of the Commission Rates the bloggers get

I would like to just clarify that this is not the amount of commission that is paid to affiliates (i.e. bloggers), but rather more closely follows along the lines of what the managing affiliate company gets for each approved application by the card issuers (Discover, AMEX, etc.). It's then up to each affiliate company (i.e. FO, CJ, BR, etc.) to determine how much of the piece they want to keep for themselves and how much is given to the affiliates (bloggers) who do all the work.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WideOpenSpaces
I would like to just clarify that this is not the amount of commission that is paid to affiliates (i.e. bloggers), but rather more closely follows along the lines of what the managing affiliate company gets for each approved application by the card issuers (Discover, AMEX, etc.). It's then up to each affiliate company (i.e. FO, CJ, BR, etc.) to determine how much of the piece they want to keep for themselves and how much is given to the affiliates (bloggers) who do all the work.
What's the link to your blog?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
As has been said many times in this thread before, please realize that, for a new credit card application, going directly to a bank's site by typing their URL in the address bar is the best way to keep this situation alive.

-It reduces the cost to the banks since they pay no referral fee.

-It starves the bloggers who seek to expose deals for their own ends.

I realize both are probably small potatoes, but any bit helps.

We have interests too - let's put ours first.
Really? So even if and when the link in question points out to the best offer available, you still want to starve the blogger? Even though you find this great offer, the offer you want to snatch mind you, on that particular blogger's site?

What are your interests here again--the ones that need to be put first?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnscout
Really? So even if and when the link in question points out to the best offer available, you still want to starve the blogger? Even though you find this great offer, the offer you want to snatch mind you, on that particular blogger's site?

What are your interests here again--the ones that need to be put first?
I want to maximize the profit to the bank (or minimize the loss) so that banks will keep offering these deals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.