Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, AS, SW, BA, AAA, AmEX Gold. SPG,Marriott, HHonors
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
Lots of comments about the look and feel of the various sites.

While I can certainly appreciate good design, I definitely prefer accessing all of them via RSS. Takes the design variable out of the equation, and makes it really, really easy to quickly skim new posts to see if there's anything of interest.

Here's a screenshot from the "Travel" folder in my Google Reader:
Would you tell me how I can set up RSS and a travel folder such as yours--if it's not to much bother. Thanks
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dapet
Would you tell me how I can set up RSS and a travel folder such as yours--if it's not to much bother. Thanks
That's Google Reader:

https://www.google.com/reader
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
And in the top right corner of Google Reader, there is a button you can click on the choose either "expanded" or "list".

milesmuncher's screenshot is of the "list" view in Google Reader.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Favourite blog;
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...on-sas-points/

^
Old Aug 15, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dapet
What they said:

Originally Posted by josephstern
That's Google Reader:

https://www.google.com/reader
Originally Posted by thegasguru
And in the top right corner of Google Reader, there is a button you can click on the choose either "expanded" or "list".

milesmuncher's screenshot is of the "list" view in Google Reader.
I can only speak to Google Reader, but if you have a GMail / Google account, you can just follow the "Reader" link at the top of pretty much any Google site (may be in the "more" dropdown menu), and then follow the instructions to start subscribing to feeds. Since pretty much all of the blogs listed throughout this thread use popular platforms, you can just click "Add subscription" (should be at the top left), and then search for "The Points Guy" or "Frugal Travel Guy" or whatever the name of the blog is that you're looking for.

PM me if you'd like more detail than this.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by bl540611
Cranky Flier: Brett Snyder, who writes, "The Cranky Flier" posts really interesting airline industry analysis and whatnot on his blog. I recall reading that he used to work for a big legacy carrier as a planner or something in that capacity. Good content overall

Things in the Sky: Written by Dan Webb, a college student, Things in the Sky, is again a good read. Unfortunately, he doesn't update the blog as much as Brett does.

Airliners.net: A quick scan of the forums suffice if just want to catch the headlines. Who doesn't like anet?
Gotta plug some of my favourite pilot blogs:

FL250- Captain Sam, DL Connection E170

FL390- Captain Dave, US Airways A319/320/321

From the Flight Deck- Captain Doug, Air Canada A319/320/321

Decision Height- Alan Cockrell, United B757/767

Ryan's Travels and Photos- F/O Ryan, Jetblue A320
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: Too many
I've only read the points guy and love it, but will check out some of the others now. Great topic and comments.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
FF Online Blogs

Hey guys,

I just finished reading some pretty heavy amount of info on thepointsguy.com. seriously interesting stuff and full of info on upcoming and current deals! That is, if I was American...

I did find a small amount of info and deals for Canucks.

I was wondering, are there more blogs like this? Are there any from canadian FFers or more toward canadian rewards programs?

Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:27 pm

view from the wing
frugal travel guy
one mile at a time
deadspin
mommy points
Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:36 pm

also the points guy
Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by Jesperss:17209839
also the points guy
Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:45 pm

freefrequentflyermiles.com
Maybe not technically a blog, but a very good resource
Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:58 pm

Programs: SQ
Just don't read the NYT. I almost cried when the writer said off-peak airfares JFK-Europe for $800 were a steal. Then I ran away when she suggested flying into Dublin and taking Ryanair to Paris to save $200 (bag fees anyone).

All the blogs are good, but aren't Canadians usually cheated out of the good CC offers?
Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Lightbulb

All of these useless blogs just copy information off of Flyertalk. If you spend enough time on FT, you'd know none of these blogs actually tell you anything new. It's just a bunch of gimmicks of getting faux hits so that airlines/hotels/credit card companies would pay them incentives to advertise.

If anything, they undermine our community by posting valuable information that should only be discussed on FT. Instead, they alert airlines/hotels/credit card companies and report them on their blogs in order to generate hits. Companies then crack down on what's being discussed and no one is willing to share anything else on Flyertalk.

The only exception is View from the Wing, as gleff actually posts useful information that's not stolen from Flyertalk.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
All of these useless blogs just copy information off of Flyertalk. If you spend enough time on FT, you'd know none of these blogs actually tell you anything new. It's just a bunch of gimmicks of getting faux hits so that airlines/hotels/credit card companies would pay them incentives to advertise.

If anything, they undermine our community by posting valuable information that should only be discussed on FT. Instead, they alert airlines/hotels/credit card companies and report them on their blogs in order to generate hits. Companies then crack down on what's being discussed and no one is willing to share anything else on Flyertalk.

The only exception is View from the Wing, as gleff actually posts useful information that's not stolen from Flyertertalk
Some of the "Evangelists" and (moderators) would do well to consider what FT has become in the last couple of years before they point fingers at others for undermining the "community". FT is almost unreadable and anyone providing a re-cap should get a prize.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.