Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Expert Hotel Reviews
Reload this Page >

An Adequate Stay at the Sofitel NYC

Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:50 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold

Hotel Sofitel New York

2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

Hotel Sofitel New York

45 W 44th St New York, NY US 10036

An Adequate Stay at the Sofitel NYC (15 Photos)

Hotel Sofitel New York

I planned a trip to see family in Western Massachusetts in March, and because flights were still not at their full schedule (particularly in markets like BDl), I flew YVR-EWR and then took Amtrak the next morning.  I ended up booking the Sofitel despite the notice of no food service being available because of the location but also because I could use some ALL points to offset some of the cost.  Overall it was a fine stay if perhaps unremarkable.  As was discussed in the thread, I received an email that the morning I was checking out room service would be back for breakfast.

Check In

Check in was handled well, it was fairly efficient, but I arrived around 19:00, and there was only one person in front of me.  They confirmed I had prepaid and used points to cover the remainder, and that I had a queen room.  They confirmed breakfast would be offered via room service and that the menu was available on the TV from the menu. I was also offered a list of restaurants serving dinner, but I declined since I had made reservations prior to arrival.  I was offered help with my bags, but I declined.

The lobby was, I felt, tastefully decorated.  I didn't spend much time there, but each time I passed through there were some people waiting, or sitting and chatting.

4F9A2102-59BF-42FD-9397-1FD3883987D4.jpeg

8D4C7387-E58F-462F-8D63-8FC6510A04AA.jpeg

Room

I was surprised to see that my room had a button for a motorized door opener.  Just now while reviewing details for this report I see that apparently I had booked an accessible room, which explains the alert light in the room, and the special call box in the bathroom.  Other than that though the room seemed normal: no extra grips or bars in the bathroom, and the shower was normal, not zero barrier. I tested the motorized door out of curiosity it never got it to work.

DE8B369E-E288-44DB-B476-D09EFF028E51.jpeg

322F089B-0AFF-4C3E-93AC-E6EF31CBF116.jpeg

AA81D308-02FF-4167-8064-2D55D7E48652.jpeg

One thing I was pleased to see was that the seating area had two chairs and a table in addition to a desk chair.  While I was travelling solo this time, when I travel with my wife it is frustrating sometimes to have one person sitting in a desk chair. 
845CC34C-0449-4E22-AC1C-8DE4EA1A5627.jpeg

The closets had ample storage, and the room felt spacious, though it only had a queen bed in it.

0FDD30C4-2B38-4538-B952-D42CE38003BB.jpeg455A3C00-84EC-4C94-A06C-2676FACABF65.jpeg

The views were nice, especially at night, though my hone didn't quite capture it well.

BD628E4D-4142-46BF-A80E-7D0B8B8D307C.jpeg4106F406-B36C-4073-B656-F88789079770.jpeg

It was a comfortable room overall, and mostly quiet.  A clicking noise started at some point during the night, but headphones remedied that.  The water pressure in the shower was good and no wait for hot water.  There was a little noise from the elevator lobby around 1am, but nothing too crazy.

Dining

As promised, room service was available from 06:30-11:00 and was a variety of continental options.  I ordered the full continental which was overpriced at $30, but was quite tasty.  Since I was headed out on a train that morning I was happy to have the convenient option.  I would opt for a continental breakfast anyway, but I can see being annoyed if you prefer a hot meal.  My biggest concern was that the service would be slow given it was their first day, but in 20 minutes my tray arrived.  The staff member who took my order was very polite and careful to ensure what I was offering was actually fully available before hanging up so there would be no surprises.

03F32878-6D55-4CCA-8C26-3208DE3B7809.jpeg
7E432AC0-940E-4D51-B1DC-7A208270D3BA.jpeg

I quite enjoyed the meal actually, even if it was overpriced.  A minor quibble was the lid on the carafe for the coffee didn't fully shut so the coffee had cooled a bit, but it was still hot. Of particular note was the tiny baguette I could dip in my coffee.

Overall

Overall this stay was fine—it accomplished what I needed it to do, be a comfortable stay between Penn Station and my dinner reservation on 55th street.

The only issue I had was I had emailed to ask for a coffee maker be placed in the room and it wasn't there.  I chose not to phone or mention it because they had confirmed room service would be available.  It is annoying the request wasn't honoured, but I also didn't follow up.

The service was polite, if not overly forward.  I was proactively offered help with bags both at check-in and check-out.  As I was exiting the porter also offered help, and the doorman offered to get me a taxi, which I declined, opting to just enjoy the sun and walk.

The room came with the same kit I've been offered at Fairmonts, containing a mask, hand sanitizer and gloves.

D1DA63E2-A01F-44ED-8DE1-08EEB3FC368F.jpeg

The hotel also had and sanitizer stations in the elevators which was a nice touch.

F65A5B26-ACAF-4435-A097-6DF144828A09.jpeg

The hotel and room had some conspicuous French themed decor which wasnt too ostentatious.

C07CA8F6-DBD8-42A7-846B-2F85AE53EF3E.jpeg

As I said, the stay was adequate.  I didn't walk away impressed, but nothing was wrong either.  I would certainly stay there again if the opportunity arises.

Would you like to write a review on the Hotel Sofitel New York?

No, thank you.
Yes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.