Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Mövenpick Bali

Mövenpick Resort Jimbaran, Bali

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Jl. Wanagiri No.1 Jimbaran, Kec. Kuta Sel. Badung, Bali 80362

Mövenpick Bali (16 Photos)

Mövenpick Jimbaran marks the brand's first foray into Indonesia, and still remains its only hotel in the country. Despite its relatively popular ice cream offering (as one might have encountered on board a Cathay flight), Mövenpick's hotels have never really had a strong reputation before its acquisition by Accor. This reputation likewise reflected in mediocre past stays I've had at other Mövenpick hotels in Thailand, Vietnam, and Switzerland. 

This particular Mövenpick is actually designed by a famous Indonesian architect, the late Hendra Hadiprana, who also owned what was the Chedi Club in Ubud. The hotel is part of an integrated shopping mall called Samasta, and is located 15 minutes away by foot from the nearest beach (Muaya Beach). 

On this occasion, we stayed for 3 nights and paid a total of £90 booked on all.accor.com, which was a steal given that £90 used to be the nightly rate. The rate included breakfast.

Check In

There was a security check as we pulled into the hotel, as is common at Western-branded hotels in Bali. The hotel was rather crowded despite our stay being on weekdays, and as such the hotel's porte cochère was overwhelmed with cars. As such it took a while to actually get to the entrance, and it took a bit longer to get someone to help with luggage. 

The lobby itself was crowded with families travelling with small children, so it became rather noisy at times. We checked in at 14.20 to be told that our room was not ready, which I suppose was understandable given the hotel's normal check-in time at 15.00. Our check-in agent wasn't friendly nor unfriendly and just simply went through the formalities. 

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 21.03.50.png

Lobby

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 21.05.43.png

Lobby seating

I sat in the lobby as I waited for the room to be ready, and observed staff members coming around serving what seemed to be welcome drinks, although interestingly we were never offered any. Although, that wasn't anything major. 

Room

The room became ready at 15.20, and we headed down to the third floor to where our room was located, along with several meeting rooms. Unfortunately, signage was a bit lacking, and it took a good several minutes for us to realise that the rooms were located behind a nondescript door next to the stairway. 

The Classic Poolview Room was moderately sized at 34sqm, which I felt was neither spacious nor tight. Despite that, I found the furnishing to be warm, modern, and rather elegant. I was happy that the room included a desk, a feature that many newer hotels unfortunately lack.

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 21.04.33.png

Beds

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 21.05.30.png

Desk

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 21.05.36.png

Beds

The room also featured a small balcony that had two rather uncomfortable small garden chairs. As advertised, the room overlooked the hotel's large saltwater pool. The view was inherently decent but the combination of the room's proximity to the pool and the room's poor soundproofing proved to be a poor combination. Throughout the day, the room would be filled with noises from the pool's mini-water park bucket splash contraption along with the screaming of children. Thankfully we weren't in for much of the day.

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 21.04.41.png

View of room from bathroom

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 21.05.02.png

View from balcony

The bathroom included a bathtub and a separate shower, along with mediocre house-branded amenities. The bathroom was also moderately sized and was likewise neither spacious nor too tight.

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 21.05.10.png

Bathtub

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 21.05.17.png

Shower and toilet

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 21.05.23.png

Sink

Having said all that, the room was overall rather mediocre (and mediocre seems to be the ongoing theme of the hotel), but I would have to say that the bed and its bedding was exceptional. The combination of the room's cold temperature, along with a thick duvet, firm bed, and great bedding made the sleep incredible, particularly after a long day. 

Service

Service throughout the hotel was mediocre, and most staff were neither friendly nor unfriendly. Most staff members we encountered just seemed disinterested, and service was never proactive or personal as is expected from a large hotel like the Mövenpick. 

To note, there was one day when we came back to our room late in the afternoon to find it not made up, which was rather disappointing. But we didn't really think too much of it after we requested several bottles of water.

Dining

The hotel advertises a "Chocolate Hour", and it is also briefly mentioned at check-in and in various information channels of the hotel (on their website, posters, and on the in-room television). This is held daily in the afternoon, although we never partook in it due to our schedule. 

Breakfast is served at the Anarasa restaurant located next to the pool. There is a temperature check that's conducted before entering the restaurant. Breakfast was a buffet offering, although all the stations were manned and nothing was self-served (I'd assume because of the pandemic). There was a sizeable choice of both Western and Indonesian food available at the restaurant.

Coffee and tea were brought to the table but often took very long to be delivered. The food itself tasted mediocre, and the juices weren't fresh (both of which I suppose are expected). Having said that, I was rather disappointed to find that the bircher müsli to be very poorly made (being very sweet and watery but not moist), especially given how proud the hotel is to be of "Swiss" origin (to the extent that a Swiss-flag flies outside the hotel). Otherwise, the food was mediocre as expected.

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 21.11.18.png

Bircher Müsli

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 21.04.21.png

Chicken meatball soup

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 21.04.51.png

Restaurant

Amenities

As written previously, the hotel has a large saltwater pool that is very popular with children. The pool even features a few water-park-like slides that many children would enjoy. There is also a small adult pool in the hotel, although I'd imagine the proximity to the main pool made no difference in terms of noise. 

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 21.03.58.png

Hotel grounds by the pool

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 21.04.04.png

Salt water pool

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 21.04.11.png

Salt water pool

Overall

All in all, the hotel is expectedly mediocre. I had no complaints nor did I feel any discontent, especially given the rate we paid, although I'd probably pay more and stay elsewhere next time. Despite that, I would be very happy to stay here on a short overnight given the room's excellent sleep quality (assuming no noise). As such, I don't have any qualms about the stay and I'd be happy to recommend the hotel solely for the bed, particularly at that rate.

However, a quick check does show that the hotel no longer offers such low rates, and so I don't reckon I could see myself returning anytime soon given how otherwise mediocre the hotel is. 

Mövenpick Bali

Would you like to write a review on the Mövenpick Resort Jimbaran, Bali?

No, thank you.
Yes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.