Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Not bad, but not keeping up

Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg

Map| 2 Reviews | 0% Recommended

Neuer Jungfernstieg 9-14 Hamburg, DE 20354

Not bad, but not keeping up (2 Photos)

The service and food are the main selling points of this hotel. If you're used to what a five-star grand hotel can be in places like Paris, Zurich, Dubai or major Asian cities, then the rooms and wellness area at the Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten will probably underwhelm.

There's no hiding that the HVJ is now managed by one of the big 3 hotel conglomerates. The guestrooms could be in any corporate chain hotel, while the wellness facilities seem like an afterthought (long, blank corridors; a tiny, aging sauna and little else).

Service

The service level at the Vier Jahreszeiten is the absolute highlight. It embodies the five-star ideal: it is thoughtful, thorough and able to anticipate your requests before you ask. To top if off, it is refreshingly personable: it is clear that everyone you'll encounter is very well trained, but they use their own personalities too. Not the strictly scripted style which is the norm in chain hotels nowadays. As a guest, it is just such a pleasure to see a team of professionals so in command of their role as hosts. The turndown service is also the most detail-oriented and generous I've ever seen. In general, the housekeeping team does stellar work; that's especially apparent in light of all the extra Covid-19 hygiene requirements. The reception was not immune to silly errors, like breakfast being added to the bill even though it was included in my rate, and then I was overcharged for the room itself, but both blunders were resolved after one e-mail without any uncomfortable quibbling.

Room

Please be really careful when choosing a room category: the entry-level types are cramped, bare and generic, especially the single rooms. I was last in a courtyard-facing double, which was more spacious but could still have been in any Marriott or Crowne Plaza.

It is definitely worth paying the modest surcharge for a view of the Binnenalster: apart from having no view, courtyard-facing rooms lack privacy and are gloomy due to the limited daylight. The rooms lack any of the personalisation or sense of place you get at comparable heritage-focused grand hotels. And, yes, the TV starts playing ads for the hotel restaurants every time you walk into the room. Sleep quality was very high though: the bed is excellent (not too hard); a/c silent and effective; blackout perfect, and sound insulation total. Nevertheless, I can't overlook how, for the same price, fresh-faced competitors like The Fontenay or Westin Elbphilharmonie offer larger rooms, a proper spa and a pool.

HVJ Room.JPG

Courtyard-facing Double Room, no. 424

Dining

Due to the Covid-19 restrictions, I did not eat in the restaurants on site. I opted for the in-room breakfast options.

The breakfast really stood out: uncompromising quality (definitely no canned fruit salad here!); exhaustive selection – including local specialties – and artful presentation. The best eggs benedict I've had in years.

The quality of the patisserie in the Condi Lounge is also on an uncommonly high level.

HVJ inroom breakfast.JPG

In-room breakfast

Spa

The wellness facilities are gender-separated, except for that lounge area with fireplace which is shown in all the marketing. The facilites (in the male side anyway) consist of the bare minimum: two showers, a 1-person jacuzzi, a small sauna and a few lockers in a long, narrow space of around 50 sqm. reached via a warren of windowless corridors. Everything is well maintained but looks dated and feels quite cramped.

Gym

The fitness room is a different story: it is truly up there with the best hotel gyms I've ever seen. Spacious, atmospheric, perfectly equipped. Stylish, even.

Overall

So based on my experience, it is hard to imagine anyone being completely disappointed by the HVJ, but only if the spa isn't important to you and you book one of the better rooms. Next time, I'll go to a different hotel which isn't so burdened by prestige.

Not bad, but not keeping up

Would you like to write a review on the Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.