Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Expert Hotel Reviews
Reload this Page >

Great Stay at Sheraton Hiroshima

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2020, 1:42 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott (Titanium), British Airways (Gold), American Airlines

Sheraton Hiroshima Hotel

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Sheraton Hiroshima Hotel

12-1 Wakakusa-cho Higashi-ku Hiroshima, JP 732-0053

Great Stay at Sheraton Hiroshima (13 Photos)

Sheraton Hiroshima Hotel

We planned a six day trip to Central Japan, with two nights in Hiroshima, and four in Kyoto.

Check In

From departing the Shinkansen, we were at the check in desk in all of five minutes. Check in was fast and easy. I applied Suite Night Awards for a Club Corner Suite, which cleared five days in advance. They were prepared for us at check in, and whisked us through the process in about 5 minutes. They explained that the room had two queens, pushed together, but that they could separate them if needed. We asked about a rollaway for our eight year old daughter, which they offered for 5000 Yen per night, which we accepted. They explained the COVID procedures, club access, Titanium discounts at the hotel restaurant were offering 50% off, and breakfast. We asked them to book us a reservation at Miyabi-Tei, which they did. 

Dining

Miyabi-Tei was a nice experience. My wife got the luxury steak and lobster tasting menu ($140 before discount) while I got the luxury sushi tasting menu ($160 before discount). Our daughter got a kids menu Japanese dinner ($30 before discount). Service was swift, and most of the waiters understood conversational English. My dinner was excellent, as was my wife and daughters, however my wife's lobster course never came. The manager suggested that the waiter thought she wanted a steak only course, and removed the entire entree from the bill, as well as covered our drinks (2 beers, 3 glasses of wine). So our outstanding dinner ended up costing about $160, rather than the $260 we planned for. 

3894E7D1-5229-44A5-A2C5-2CE02ECA00FF.jpeg

Eggplant Starter (didn't love this, but it was because of texture).

724D6117-465E-44E7-A2FA-EFCAABFE6735.jpeg

Sashimi starter, excellent.

CA443B04-D8A7-4AC4-8519-2264F4530CA5.jpeg

Steamed Crab, excellent.

18B0DAFE-9508-47FF-B7AC-C4EFF25E1BAE.jpeg

Abalone and Udon, very good.

DD116330-F98B-4FB3-B2C3-EDC7376EAE64.jpeg

Sushi platter, all outstanding,

456549A6-80C8-45E0-9BEB-131F0F6ABEDE.jpeg

Kids Meal - Daughter loved it, and it was enough food for an adult.

We also had breakfast in the hotel one morning, as a Titanium benefit. Food came out fast, and all three of us had the standard Western Breakfast - yogurt, smoked salmon, salad, bread, pastry on the first plate, then an egg option, bacon, sausage on the second plate. All of the food was hot and served quickly, and tasted like hotel breakfast. 

Service

Service was excellent, with most customer service employees knowing at least enough English to help us get by, especially at the front desk, Sheraton Club, and both restaurants. Very Japanese service culture, that seemed polished and genuine. 

Room

Our SNA was approved, and we received a massive room on the top floor. Room was well appointed, with all modern features - USB ports all over, nice hair dryer, pants press, great 4K TVs, automatic blinds / shades, strong A/C.

9CEF6374-7E39-4F91-91C6-04ED43CBB7BA.jpeg

Entry area looking to living room. Notice the rollaway in the corner. My daughter loved her view.

14AA65BB-14B0-4AAC-9CB3-4048B8F3506C.jpeg

Massive bathroom that connteceted the living room with the bedroom. Bathroom was beautiful, with large doubl vanity, two closets, and a giant wet room with large bath in the middle, and shower heads on each side. 

029508E2-2282-4245-A783-5B1780D1CC1B.jpeg

Wet room.

263AD3AE-1845-43C5-8D49-5D3DFDBFB8D5.jpeg

View from back of bedroom, looking towards the window. Windows were on the corner of the building, and offered great views. The beds were comfortable, but I'm not sure why they pushed the two queens together, versus just gave us a king room. We were about 12 feet apart!

FF2D855E-0168-4AF5-BDCA-8172533EC88F.jpeg

View from master.

05B3F6E5-08F1-4FB1-8F53-1D05996391ED.jpeg

View from living room.

519511EF-D3CB-4EE7-9307-F869943CDB85.jpeg

Mini bar was lightly stocked. We were able to move this out to the counter, and put our own stuff in there. 

Location is unbeatable. 5 minutes from Hiroshima central train station, with a direct connection from the Shinkanses platform to the hotel. The food court at Ekie at the base of the hotel had 40+ options, and the Okonomiyaki at Reichan is worth the wait. 

Overall

Exactly what I wanted in a hotel with a family trip. Friendly, helpful staff, luxury room, easy access to good food (in house and nearby) and transportation. This will be my go to hotel every time I visit Hiroshima.

Would you like to write a review on the Sheraton Hiroshima Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
River in Sight likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 1:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by tofumatt
Introduction We planned a six day trip to Central Japan, with two nights in Hiroshima, and four in Kyoto. Check In From departing the Shinkansen, we were at the check in desk in all of five minutes. Check in was fast and easy. I applied Suite Night Awards for a Club Corner Suite, which cleared five days in advance. They were prepared for us at check in, and whisked us through the process in about 5 minutes. They explained that the room had two queens, pushed together, but that they could separate them if needed. We asked about a rollaway for our eight year old daughter, which they offered for 5000 Yen per night, which we accepted.
Great report. I'll be there in a couple weeks and it's nice to see such a good review. I take it you paid for the room (probably with Go To)? Some Marriott properties in Japan have been known to charge for an extra person/bedding, even though, if it is a points stay, it should be included.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 8:09 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott (Titanium), British Airways (Gold), American Airlines
I actually redeemed points when they had the "all properties off-peak" promo going on. The entire week I travelled I was on off-peak rates, which I felt was a solid use versus cash. Even with GO TO discount, it seemed like cash rates were jacked up to compensate.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by tofumatt
I actually redeemed points when they had the "all properties off-peak" promo going on. The entire week I traveled I was on off-peak rates, which I felt was a solid use versus cash. Even with GO TO discount, it seemed like cash rates were jacked up to compensate.
Since it was on points, you might have been able to save the ¥5,000 rollaway cost, but you might have needed to go through Marriott to get the message through.

I have found rates with GO TO pretty decent overall, although I end up buying more omiyage than usual. At off-peak you are probably right, and it comes down to the individual property. I agree the Sheraton Hiroshima's rates seem rather high.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 8:05 pm

Sheraton Hiroshima

I couldn't find a [Master Thread], so I'll tack my review on to this one:

We were given a king room on top floor, which although not a suite, was a quite spacious 35sqm and nicely appointed.

Given the gift choice of 1,000 points or a 300ml bottle of sake (¥500) at check in.

The lounge was a bit of a let-down. Great views, but the food was pretty pathetic. Popcorn, Hershey's kisses, Ritz crackers and jam, and a few little danishes. They did serve a nice hors d'oeuvres platter with four small tasty morsels, but there were no seconds (unlike the other lounges we've enjoyed over the last 3 months). That probably made sense for them though, as the guest turnover was pretty rapid. There was all-day mediocre wine (¥800/bottle), and from 5-8pm beer, sparkling, and some low-end spirits. Sake was good though.

There were posters offering 50% off Miyabei-tei and the Bridges Buffet for hotel guests, but it was suspended for the Christmas and NY's period.

The breakfast was good, on par with other Bonvoy Japan properties.

The gym is free, but they have a sign in English that says you should change in your room since they charge ¥500 for a locker (WFT?). We were quite disappointed they charged ¥1,600 per person for pool access. All the other Bonvoy properties (Westin, JW, Marriott) we have stayed at in Japan waved the cost for elite members. Parking was ¥1,500, instead of the normal ¥2,000.

Overall the location, size of rooms, views and cleanliness of the property can't be beat, but rates are high. I was happy the points rates were low enough we could stay using my Chase credit card award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.