Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Club Vistara FFP
Oberoi Grand, Kolkata - Review

The Oberoi Grand, Kolkata

1 Review | 100% Recommended

15 Jawaharlal Nehru Road Kolkata, IN 700 013

Oberoi Grand, Kolkata - Review (5 Photos)

As you walk through the hotel, you can clearly sense the age of the property by the classiness it exudes from its architecture, furniture and the overall design of the structure.

Although the bathroom was quite small in size, it didn’t bother me as much because I expected it to be so, given that this was a heritage building and they aren't permitted to make any structural changes in the building.

Check In

In the morning of my stay, I called the Oberoi to request an early check-in and an upgrade (if possible). Kaushikee requested me to confirm my phone number and provide them my email address (for contactless check-in).

I then received a mail from Oberoi including a link to the online registration form that already had the details of my booking filled in and the rest of the process was simple to follow.

I arrived at the hotel just after 1pm and was informed that my check-in was complete and I was provided with an upgrade as well. I was offered a charcoal lemonade, along with the explanation that charcoal is known for its immunity boosting characteristic (new info for me, but okay) - the drink was just average.

Kaushikee showed me to my room, and I had a nice chat with her on the way to the lift. I suggest if you are looking to get a free upgrade, you should enquire the possibility of that with the hotel well in advance, rather than doing it while checking in.1_Oberoi-Grand-Kolkata-lobby2.jpeg

Room

I was upgraded to a premiere room with balcony - room 356. It faced the pool and the garden - one of the best views to have at the Grand.

The room was 376 sq ft in size, and featured a double bed, a work table, a small toilet, and a balcony. Although smaller than my expectation, the bed was very comfortable along with the pillows.

The work table met my requirements perfectly, and I was quite happy to see this as I end up spending most of the time at the desk. There are enough plug points at the table to charge several devices.

Turn down service was provided at 6pm. The bell rang as I was preparing to head down to the bar, and the gentleman asked if I’d like turn down service, which I accepted.1_Oberoi-Grand-Kolkata-room2.jpeg

Dining

There are two restaurants and a bar at the Oberoi Grand. Baan Thai is the Thai speciality restaurant, as the name suggests, while threesixtythree is the all-day dining option serving a range of global cuisines.

Before arriving at the hotel, I was very keen on dining at their famous Thai speciality restaurant, Baan Thai, and I was bummed to find that the restaurant was shut due to maintenance work.

The good news was that the Thai kitchen was operational and the executive chef assured me I could try those dishes at their global cuisine restaurant as well.

I took a lunch, dinner and a breakfast at the Oberoi grand, and all the meals were really good. Visit my blog for more details and pictures about the meals at Oberoi Grand (link provided below).Oberoi-Grand-Kolkata-threesixtythree-dinner-thai.jpeg

It is situated in the heart of Kolkata which provides easy access to some of the famous places of the city like Victoria memorial and Park street, which are at a driving distance of nine and three minutes.

Overall

Located in the heart of Kolkata, Oberoi Grand gives you easy access to the main spots of the city. I could feel the richness in culture while I was here, and Oberoi has done a very good job in preserving the charm and the authentic feel of this place.

The staff is warm in their approach, and would go to a great extent to make sure you are a happy customer stepping out of the door. I was impressed with this property, and would surely like to visit again.

Visit my blog for more details and images.

The following link is a blog/website/social media page in which I have a financial interest. If you click on this link, cookies will be added to your device for an extended period of time and I may gain monetary returns if you follow this link or any other link on the blog/website/social media page.

Source: my blog, Take Off With Guru1_Oberoi-Grand-Kolkata-exterior-chowringhee-road.jpeg

Concierge

Although I didn't use any of the concierge services during my stay here, I am mentioning this mainly because of an amzing interaction with Mr. Sarkar - a golden key hotel concierge, at Oberoi Grand. 

Do take his suggestions before going out to explore Kolkata.

Pool

There is a beautiful swimming pool located in the centre of the hotel, though during my time here it was closed due to Covid-19 safety protocols in place.Oberoi-Grand-Kolkata-swimming-pool.jpeg

Oberoi Grand, Kolkata - Review

Would you like to write a review on the The Oberoi Grand, Kolkata?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.