Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Expert Hotel Reviews
Reload this Page >

The Charter Seattle - A Conrad-esque Hotel with Some Quirks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:39 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold

The Charter Hotel Seattle - Curio Collection by Hilton

1610 2nd Avenue Seattle, WA US 98101

The Charter Seattle - A Conrad-esque Hotel with Some Quirks (3 Photos)

The Charter Hotel Seattle - Curio Collection by Hilton

I enjoyed a 2 night stay at this property from Thursday February 27th to Saturday February 29th 2020

Overall

Overall, I would rate this hotel a 7 out of 10

Check In: 6/10

Room: 9/10

Dining: 5/10

Service: 4/10

Check In

The check in experience was quick and smooth. Just prior to my arrival to the hotel I received a text message welcoming me and offering assistance with transportation to the hotel. I declined, and opted to take an Uber from SeaTac instead. They also acknowledged my Hilton Diamond status in the message, which was nice. 

I responded to the text asking if they had any suite upgrades available. I had booked the secon most expensive type of room, so was hopeful of snagging an upgrade to a suite. The front desk quickly texted back offering to move me to a suite for an addiitonal cost of $100 per night. I declined. I thought it was a bid odd to try and upsell me to a suite. I checked the Hilton app later in the evening on my first night and saw suite inventory still available, so unfortunately it seems this hotel would rather leave a suite empty than upgrade a Diamond member.

I did, however, get a glass of champagne at check in which was pre

Dining

There's an Argentinian themed restaurant in the lobby. I can't say I've ever eaten at an Argentinian restaurant before, and suppose I never will. As a Diamond, I was offered an $18/day credit for breakfast at the restuatant. I tried the restuarant on the day of check out and thought it was fairly average. I did not have the chance to eat dinner there, but noticed the restaurant was rather empty on both Thursday and Friday nights. 

Room

The rooms are the best part of this hotel. Deluxe rooms have floor to ceiling windows which let in a lot of sunlight (when there is any, I mean, it's Seattle after all). I personally don't think it's worth paying extra for the city view, as a brand new highrise construction across the street blocks most of your view. 

The entire room was spotless and meticulously maintained. The bathroom was very large and very well lit. 

091350A2-C0B6-40FB-89DF-E380642729AC.jpe

I really enjoyed the overall design and aesthetic of the room - it felt very classy and sophisticated. I particularly enjoyed the lighting by the bed. One of my biggest gripes with most hotels is the fact that bed lamps generally have two settings; turned off, or way too bright. The lights here had about 15 different brightness settings to be as brigh or as dim as you l

There were bathrobes in the closet which were insanely soft and delightful. Next to the closet was a minibar and some snacks (for a fee) including a $39 mini bottle of red wine. Oof. There's a great wall mounted 55" TV, but seemingly no HD TV stations. I connected my iPad with an HDMI cable and streamed my own. 

The desk in the corner by the window was impractical to get any work done. It sufficed, and certainly looks pretty, but it's far too shallow to comfortably set up shop and work. 

E67C7894-E7DB-45B3-805E-323ED895119C.jpe

CC15DF10-B89A-44D9-86A3-6F3F0C54D433.jpe

Service

So service here was definitely hit or miss.

I'll start with the positives; the door man was always cheerful and friendly, and the front desk staff were pleasant and gave me a glass of champage at check in

Ok, now for some of the not so great.. Housekeeping/maintenance barged in on me not once, not twice, but three times during my 2 night stay. That's a new record for me.

The first time was about 30 minutes after I checked in and maintenance keyed himself in without knocking while I was getting settled in. He apologized, said he had to check something but would come back later. This was understandable, maybe he just didn't realize I had just checked in.

Fast forward to later that evening, maybe around 7ish, and I'm watching some TV when I hear the door lock click again. Oh jeez, not again. I sprung up as the door was opening, again without a knock, and found a houskeeper coming to visit me. I said good evening, and asked what I could do for her. She muttered something and then came all the way in to the room, picked up the room phone and dialed someone. Whoever it was didn't pick up, so she hung up and walked out without saying a wor. It was honestly one of the strangest things I've ever seen.

After that instance, I decided to just put up the do not disturb sign on the door. Turns out, that wasn't super effective. I had just gotten back from breakfast on Friday morning when I had another surprise visit from my maintenance buddy. I guess the do not disturb sign didn't work. For the rest of my stay I resorted to keeping the door deadbolted whenever I was in the room.

Would you like to write a review on the The Charter Hotel Seattle - Curio Collection by Hilton?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.