Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Expert Hotel Reviews
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York - Luxury Stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2019, 7:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Park Hyatt New York

Map| 7 Reviews | 71% Recommended

Park Hyatt New York

153 West 57th Street New York, NY US 10019

Park Hyatt New York - Luxury Stay (99 Photos)

Park Hyatt New York

Just finished our holiday stay at Park Hyatt New York City.  It is one of our best hotel stays and I highly recommend the hotel as a Hyatt loyalist.

This hotel has been reviewed and reviewed extensively.  Some people complained this and that, and very demanding.  I understand all the complaints.  But with my real and latest experience, PH has delivered all I expeted and did not disappoint.  We would be happy to go back again.

Park Hyatt is located at 153 W. 57th Street, between 6th and 7th avenues. It occupies ground to 25th floors of a 75-story super skycraper building called One57, or Carnegie 57.  The hotel opened in 2014 and it has a total 210 guest room and suites.

1__DSC0562 2.jpg

2__DSC0561 2.jpg

The entrance is facing Carnegie Hall building.  It is two city blocks to Central Park.  The Rockefeller Center, Top of the Rock, Radio City Music, Museum of Modern Art, Museum of Art and Design are all within walking distance.  Time Square and theatre district are also not so far away.

The 57th Street Subway Station is right at the corner for trains N Q R W and 57th Street Metra station is at the other corner.

IMG_7562.JPG

57th Street entrance on the right.  The 2nd entrance further is the entrance to residential units.

IMG_7583.JPG

Russian Tea Room and Carnegie Hall (further to the right) on the other side of 57th Street.

IMG_7563.JPG

Automatic heavy metal gate

IMG_7807.JPG

Heaters at the front gate

IMG_7805.JPG

Ground Lobby

When we pulled our vehicle to the hotel entrance, we did not see any doorman nor bell staff.  I entered the front gate, waited for about 5 minutes.  Then a gentleman took the key for valet service.  The garage is at the back of the hotel on the 58th street.

The lobby area is simple.

IMG_7566.JPG

IMG_7769.JPG

Station for the bell staff and parking

IMG_7565.JPG

Art holiday decoration.  The stairway to the 3rd floor reception area is blocked.

IMG_7770.JPG

View from inside the hotel ground lobby.

1_IMG_7567.JPG

Metal artwork in front of lobby elevators.

Reception Area

The elevators at the ground lobby take the guests to the reception and check-in area on the 3rd level.  There is no actual 2nd floor.  

Right at the ground lobby elevator bank, it is the hotel restaurant called "Living Room".  The decor follows the same theme of the entire hotel.  

IMG_7576.JPG

Side of "Living Room"

IMG_7582.JPG

IMG_7578.JPG

IMG_7577.JPG

Walk way to Reception desk

IMG_7595.JPG

IMG_7596.JPG

Waiting area for check-in

IMG_7780.JPG

Concierge desk

IMG_7779.JPG

Christmas tree near the reception area

Check In

We arrived at the hotel about noon time.  

The front desk staff at the reception area was very friendly.  She looked up the reservation very quickly and acknowledged the WoH Globalist.  I expressed the desire for a suite upgrade.  She stated that she would try, but no guarantee.  The hotel was fully booked for the holiday season and it was too early to know at that time.  She then took our phone number and said she would call when the room would be ready. 

She also explained the Globalist breakfast.  The complimentary offering is one cold drink, one hot drink and one full breakfast entry.  I have heard so much about this and it was not surprised.

We requested a roll-away bed.  The charge is $75+ tax.  It is not waived for any guest regardless of WoH status.

After that, we headed out to explore.  The luggage was stored at the reception area.

At about 3PM, I received a voice mail from the hotel, informing that our room was ready and asked me to call.  I checked my Hyatt phone app and the room number showed up.  It was room #03 on the top floor.  I called the front desk and inquired of the type of room.  The front desk told me that this is an one bedroom suite.

I felt very happy to get upgraded to a full suite.  I have heard quite some Globalist members who complained loudly about not getting the suite upgrade at check-in.

Room

The elevator bank to the guest rooms is at the back of the hotel, past the concierge and reception area.  Guests need the room keys to get the guest room floors.  It feels really secure.

IMG_7750.JPG

1_IMG_7597.JPG

Our suite is #03 on one of the top floors.  The suite is at the very end of the hallway.  The hall way and doors are rich mahogany color, very warm and elegant.  

Facing the room door is a large mirror with flower stand.

IMG_7690.JPG

IMG_7598.JPG

Living room, with desk near the window and roll-away bed on the left.  Central Park in the distance out of the window.

IMG_7599.JPG

IMG_7600.JPG

IMG_7601.JPG

Sofa and work desk.

IMG_7602.JPG

Closet for the mini bar.

IMG_7610.JPG

IMG_7611.JPG

IMG_7612.JPG

IMG_7613.JPG

IMG_7614.JPG

Goodies inside the mini bar.  Look really nice.  They are available for purchase.  The coffee is free to enjoy.

IMG_7720.JPG

Mini bar price list.

IMG_7609.JPG

TV in living room.

IMG_7791.JPG

IMG_7755.JPG

The desk area also features a stero area with Bang & Olufsen speaker.

IMG_7603.JPG

IMG_7604.JPG

IMG_7605.JPG

IMG_7606.JPG

IMG_7794.JPG

IMG_7607.JPG

Really nice King size bed and bedroom with large TV.  The bed is just very comfortable, not too soft, nor too hard.

2_IMG_7716.JPG

2_IMG_7717.JPG

2_IMG_7718.JPG

There are two large lighted closets in the bedroom.  The safe is in the bedroom closet.

The window treatments (sheers and drapes) are controlled electronically.  They work nicely.

Views of the rooms:

IMG_7787.JPG

IMG_7788.JPG

1_IMG_7757.JPG

IMG_7758.JPG

Bathroom

The suite has two bathrooms, one powder room near the front entrance in the living room area.  The full bathroom is inside the bedroom.

The main bathroom has heated floor and this is really nice for a stay over winter season.  The bathroom has light sensors at both bathroom door and toilet door to control lights.

IMG_7689.JPG

1_IMG_7691.JPG

1_IMG_7692.JPG

1_IMG_7694.JPG

Powder room.

1_IMG_7697.JPG

1_IMG_7699.JPG

1_IMG_7700.JPG

1_IMG_7701.JPG

1_IMG_7702.JPG

Full bathroom with Japanese style toilet and toilet cover (Toto brand).

2_IMG_7703.JPG

1_IMG_7705.JPG

1_IMG_7707.JPG

Shower.  The top knob controls the shower directly from the ceiling area.  The lower knob controls the shower from regular removable showerhead.

1_IMG_7709.JPG

1_IMG_7710.JPG

Double vanity sinks.

1_IMG_7711.JPG

Electronic vanity mirror.

1_IMG_7713.JPG

Bathroom light control.

1_IMG_7714.JPG

Hair dryer.

1_IMG_7715.JPG

Weight scale

1_IMG_7793.JPG

More bathroom items if you ever need them.  We did not.

2_IMG_7698.JPG

1_IMG_7719.JPG

One robe near the bath tub, one robe in the closet.

1_IMG_7708.JPG

Le Labo bathroom consumables.

There is an in-the-mirror TV in bathroom.  But we could not get it to work.  So we did not bother to spend time on it.

Pool

The pool is on the top 25th floor.  It has both a hot tub and a saltwater two lane lap pool.  There is lifeguard on duty during normal hours.

IMG_7722.JPG

25th floor hall way.

IMG_7728.JPG

Hot tub.

IMG_7737.JPG

Sitting area near hot tub.

IMG_7731.JPG

IMG_7734.JPG

IMG_7735.JPG

IMG_7736.JPG

Lap pool.

IMG_7727.JPG

IMG_7726.JPG

Steam room.

Gym

The gym is also on the 25th floor, access through stairs above pool area.  It is a very large gym for a hotel with only 210 guest rooms.

IMG_7739.JPG

Stairs to gym.

IMG_7740.JPG

Towels and newspaper.

IMG_7741.JPG

IMG_7742.JPG

IMG_7746.JPG

A lot of equipment

IMG_7747.JPG

Peloton bike

IMG_7748.JPG

IMG_7749.JPG

TechnoGym

The gym also offers chilled towel and chilled water.

Spa

The spa is outside the pool area on the 25th floor.  

IMG_7760.JPG

IMG_7761.JPG

IMG_7762.JPG

Dining

Park Hyatt NY offers both in hotel dining at its "Living Room" restaurant and room service.  We liked the more comfortable dine-in experience and do not like to get the room smell food.

The restaurant is on the 3rd floor, near the elevator bank from the ground lobby.

IMG_7579.JPG

IMG_7580.JPG

For breakfast, we ordered the main "57th Breakfast" and Japanese breakfast.  The prices are $45 and $49 respectively.  

IMG_7799.JPG

Eggs and smoked salmon.

IMG_7801.JPG

Eggs and sausage.

IMG_7800.JPG

IMG_7802.JPG

Japanese breakfast.

IMG_7803.JPG

Pastry.

The 18% gratitude is automatically charged.  The total is about an average $65 each person.

The quality of the food was excellent.  It was not really fast, but we did not complain.  The waitor forgot my coffee, so I shared a coffee with a family member.  The waiter checked about the food and I did not bother to remind him again.  The coffee was not on the bill.

Service

Overall, the service was excellent.

The doorman or bell staff was not present when we first arrived.  But They took care of my luggage and vehicle after about 5 minutes wait.  The valet pick-up was prompt.

The reception staff was very friendly from check-in to check-out.  No complaints.  The hotel bill was taken care of.

The waitor at "Living Room" restaurant forgot my coffer order.  But it was not a huge deal.

We requested more blanket from room service.  It arrived in less than 10 minutes.

We also requested assistance with hooking up game console with the TV.  Engineer showed up in less than 5 minutes.  The engineer was very capable and helpful.

The room service stopped by our room at least twice of the day.  They offered water, and provided floor towels and slippers in late afternoon.

No horror stories of any kind of the "poor" service.  In general, we were very happy with the service quality.

Overall

Overall, all of us were very happy with the stay.  It truly gave us the "luxury" experience we expected.  It is very hard to pick any "fault" of the hotel, the service and the stay experience.  

One of the main attractive part of the hotel is its "new" condition, just less than 5 years old.  We prefer newer hotels than the very old "traditional" hotels.  

This is our first time staying in this hotel.  So I can't give comments on what the service "was" that so many people complained about.  I just did not see that.  There are a couple "imperfections" that I can live with.  These do not bother me.

Park Hyatt NY normal room rate is about $785 + tax to about $850 for regular guest room.  The one bedroom suite we stayed would cost $1,180 or $1,320 after taxes.  

With WoH point booking, PHNY is a category 7 hotel that commands 30,000 points for regular guest room.  

For personal stay, I probably would not want to spend more than $1,000 for one night stay.  But I would be fine with 30,000 WoH points.  I can always earn more hotel reward points.  

As part of the WoH Globalist member, it offers one category 1-7 reward night good for 6 months.  PHNY would be a wonderful hotel to use this 1-7 free night.

During holiday season, it is great to treat the family or even self for a truly luxury stay in a premium property like Park Hyatt NY.  Both its hardware and software did not disappoint us.  

It also felt great that Hyatt and PHNY treat elite WoH member well.  WoH loyalty program has been one of the best.

We'll be back again.  We'll also recommend this hotel to other friends.

Would you like to write a review on the Park Hyatt New York?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 15, 2020, 10:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Just like to add a few things:

1. Entrance. Due to its building construction (only a part of a huge skyscraper), the hotel does not have the typical circular driveway at entrance. The entrance opens at street level. So the doorman may not know who are guests and who are residents. If you do not see doorman waiting for you, just go in and ask for one.

2. Suite upgrade. The standard suite at this hotel is the "studio suite". It is one bigger room with bedroom semi-divided, not fully enclosed. This is the type of suite that you can confirm a suite upgrade with the TSU (tier suite upgrade certificate). The most common premium suite upgrade is the one bedroom suite. This is a YMMV situation. Some guests received premium suite upgrades without the TSU. Some guests did not get any suite upgrades. Some people are not very happy when they did not receive any room upgrades.

3. Service. The style of service is more a city style service that the staff generally leaves guests alone and not intrusive. Some guests like it and some may not like it. During our stay, we called room service and engineer service. Both were very prompt. Room service knocked at door once or twice a day to offer towels, water and slippers.

4. Room. Our guest suite was very clean. The only thing we could not get it work is the TV in the mirror. The heated bathroom floor is really nice during winter. Some people complained about not receiving shaving kit. They could have easily requested from the hotel. We did not bother to use the bathroom kit from the hotel. It seems the previous gusts did not use it either. There was no need.

5. Restaurant. With the restaurant on the 2nd (officially 3rd) floor, the restaurant was designed for hotel guests only. With so many upscale restaurants in surrounding areas, there is no need to have extensive dinning facilities. Many guests eat elsewhere.

I'd advise everyone read some of the extensive reviews and make a decision on your own. So you know what to expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.