Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Expert Hotel Reviews
Reload this Page >

The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun, Classic

Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun

Retorno del Rey No. 36 Cancun, MX 77500

The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun, Classic (6 Photos)

The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun

Ritz-Carlton Cancun is the classic beach resort in Cancun.  Although it is not new any more, the resort still shines and carries its past glory to today.

This property is now a Marriott category 6 hotel.  It commands 50,000 points.  You can redeem the reward night from Ritz-Carlton and the AmEx Marriott Brilliant credit cards.

IMG_2153.JPG

IMG_2179.JPG

Check In

We took a taxi to the hotel.  The bellman took the luggage and the receptionist took us to the front desk.  

The inside of the hotel looks very classic, marble floor, decorated with flowers and classic furniture.

The check-in process was smooth.  We were offered several upgrade options.  Since this is Ritz-Carlton, it does not recognize much of Marriott elite benefits.  So I paid to get upgraded to an ocean view corner suite at a discounted rate.  No regret on this upgrade.

Room

We were upgraded to a top floor corner suite with two outdoor balconies.  The view is truly amazing.  

IMG_2250.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

The rooms are spacious.  The beds are very comfortable.  

Beach

The resort owns stretch of the famous Cancun white beach.  The hotel maintenance staff work really hard to clean the seaweeds.  RC Cancun probably has the cleanest beach in that area.  

The beach is facing Atlantic.  So the waves can be strong sometimes.

Pool

The resort has one large pool and one small pool.  I do not think they are divided for family or adults.  There are not many kids in RC Cancun.

The pools are heated and water temperature was very comfortable in early summer.  

The tiles of the pools look a bit cold and the pools need remodeling.

Gym

RC has a health club, not a gym.  There are various fitness programs by appointments.  Almost all programs are fee based.

Service

This is a busy resort.  We did not have any issues with the service, from the front staff, to room service, bar and restaurants.

Dining

The restaurants at RC are top notch.  We had probably the best ceviche and Pina Coloda at RC.  We also enjoyed the live performance at Fantino.

This resort is located on the East side of the hotel zone, in the middle of the long strip of land.  This area is less crowded than the top area the Hyatt and IHG are located.  It looks like the seaweed is a bigger problem around RC, more than impacting IHG and Hyatt.

The hotel front beach is quite fine beach.  It appear most guest rest near the pool area, not at the beach.

Overall

Although RC Cancun has past its prime, I would not say it is outdated.  Some areas of the hotel, like pools, doors, tennis areas etc, need update or upgrade.  

As a RC property, RC Cancun does not give out much benefits to Marriott elites.  Its club lounger only opens to RC elites or paid guests.  The lounge was very quiet and there were only a handful older folks.  Amost all activities, like fitness and kids club, are fee based.  The sign-ups have been very low.

If you get a good deal, or need to redeem your free nights, RC Cancun is one of the best properties in Cancun.  It is a premium hotel, not for the spring break young people.

Would you like to write a review on the The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
We been to the Cancun RC a few times, The resort does have gym with all the standard equipment my wife uses it every morning we've stayed at the resort. It also has a set of saunas and steam rooms in the changing rooms. These are in addition to the separate spa.

we've found it to a good place to use out Club Lounge certificates, which are good for up to 7 days on paid stays. Our first stay a few years ago we were upgraded to the CL floor, I believe it might have been the last standard room available due to a medical conference. That experience influenced use to not only return regularly but get the RC credits card that provides the Club Lounge certs. Because we've only stayed there on the CL floor our experience might be quite different. The staff, to a person, on the Club Lounge floor is excellent. Also the fine dinning restaurant is very much worth an evening.

I think the hotel might be the last or at least one of the last that was built before Marriott bought into Ritz Carlton and as such the public spaces are still designed and decorated in that belle epoch style of the original styled Ritz hotels. Which is in one way a bit odd at a beach resort but also a bit old Mexico in a French fashion. The white glove service at the restaurant has a similar for me pleasurable disconnect. The rooms and Club Lounge though relatively recently redone and up modern standards.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by RedSun
I. Since this is Ritz-Carlton, it does not recognize much of Marriott elite benefits. e.
Not sure when you have stayed at Ritz. They offer all Bonvoy elite offers EXCEPT the lounge admission.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by knownothing
Not sure when you have stayed at Ritz. They offer all Bonvoy elite offers EXCEPT the lounge admission.
May I ask what "benefits" you've received?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Not really. RC doesn't offer elites, Platinum nor Titanium, the breakfast benefit that other luxury Marriott brands do. Breakfast at RCs would be a very good benefit easily a saving of $30 to $50 /per person per day.
Suite upgrades are only Titanium benefit at RCs also.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The most important hotel benefits are:

breakfast
room or suite upgrade
club lounge
parking and resort fees

RC does not offer any of the above to most Bonv^y members. Titanium and Ambassador may get something. I think the SNA may be used, not sure about it.

When we stayed at RC Dove Mountain, we paid resort fees with parking included. The room was upgraded, but at hotel's discretion. No breakfast nor club lounge. Same with RC Cancun.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by RedSun
May I ask what "benefits" you've received?
presidential suite at multiple hotels, late check-out and early check in, discount at gift shop. free high speed internet. The Ritz has NEVER given lounge access to anyone 0 even before Bonvoy.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

presidential suite at multiple hotels, late check-out and early check in, discount at gift shop. free high speed internet. The Ritz has NEVER given lounge access to anyone 0 even before Bonvoy.
You forget to mention breakfast. RC does not offer that.

The other benefits can be valuable to some people. But I can do without the early check-in, late check-out. Do not care about discount to gift shop since most are over-priced anyhow. Never have issue with free internet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.