FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Expert Hotel Reviews (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/expert-hotel-reviews-734/)
-   -   Beautiful Hotel in the City Center (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/expert-hotel-reviews/1985539-beautiful-hotel-city-center.html)

GW McLintock Sep 1, 2019 8:41 pm

Beautiful Hotel in the City Center

Introduction The Fairmont San Jose is centrally located in the city across from a park, and surrounded by restaurants, shops, and activities. The city literally revolves around this hotel, and it is the premier accomodation in the city. Room Most of the rooms in this hotel have the same basic elements, just laid out slightly differently depending on the location. There is the room with the queen bed (one or two; I've never had a true king bed here), a desk and office chair, and a lounge chair. I'd like to add that the bed is very comfortable, and I always sleep quite well here! On the desk is a brick with power outlets; in the South Tower, there are power outlets integrated into the side of the desk. The nightstand has a battery-powered alarm clock without a radio, and a lamp with an extra power outlet.The dresser has a TV and inside is a minibar. Refrigerators can be requested from Royal Service. The last time I stayed here was during a big jazz festival and they had run out of refrigerators, so they deactivated the minibar so I could put my items in it. Otherwise I would have filled the bathroom sink with ice!There is a walk-in closet with a sliding door, directly opposite a vanity mirror with a bench and its own lamp. This leads to the bathroom, which is one of my favorite parts of the room. The toilet is separated with a sliding door. You get a large sink, a shower, and a bathtub deep enough you can actually soak in it. All toiletries are by Le Labo and are exquisite. The towels are thick and you also get a very luxurious bathrobe.The rooms are one of my favorite aspects of this hotel. That said, I wish you didn't have to call for a refrigerator, but I understand why they do it this way. The signage in the hallways isn't the best and occasionally you get lost looking for your room, or you have to walk quite far. Dining The hotel has a restaurant for breakfast/brunch, a steakhouse, and the lobby bar. I have not been to the steakhouse, so I will discuss the other two.The Lobby Lounge recently overhauled the entire menu and now has some very good and surprisingly affordable options. My favorite drinks include the classic Dark & Stormy and the Paloma. I have bought the the Bubbles & Berries on several occasions for others, and it is also very good if you prefer something sweeter. Bernardo is their best bartender and can easily handle a large crowd (the women also like to look at him, so I don't always sit at the bar since they offer table service). Foodwise, my two favorites are the Turkey Club Panini and the Salmon Sandwich. They also have a sushi menu and I have heard good things about it. Happy hour is Sunday-Thursday 1400-1800 and includes half-price beer, wine and well liquor, and 20% off appetizers. They also have live music and dancing Thursday-Saturday 2000-0000.For breakfast and brunch, we move over to the Fountain Restaurant. They have a menu to order from, but they also have a buffet. During the week, it has all the usual items including eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes or waffles, assorted breads (some baked in-house), as well as fresh smoked salmon, fruit, and so on. On the weekends, this expands to include sushi and sashimi, shrimp, oysters, a seafood dish, steamed vegetables, and a large dessert assortment. There is also an omelette station and prime rib. They also have fresh orange juice, and homemade red and green cold pressed juices (I tried the green one once). My rate includes the breakfast. Bottomless mimosas, bellinis, and bloody marys are available for $25. I'd also like to add that the waiters here are very friendly and very flexible if you need something in particular. Location The Fairmont San Jose is located across the street from the Plaza de César Chávez, which is essentially the center of the city. There is a promenade between the hotel's main building and south tower, and this walkway extends several blocks east all the way to the SJSU campus. A light rail line runs behind the hotel on 1st Street, so if you have a room facing that side, a higher floor is preferable, though I have been as low as the 4th floor and did not have any issues with it.There are plenty of restaurants nearby. Across 1st Street on the promenade is a taco spot which is open late. If you look at the map screenshot, you'll see a place called The City Fish which has the best fish & chips on the west coast in my opinion. Amenities Royal Service is available 24/7 to cater to your every need. If you brought your own food and need it warmed up, you can give it to the front desk and they will literally bring it to your room plated on a room service platter with silverware and condiments.The outdoor pool overlooks the park and is set up in a way that it's almost always sunny. They have a bar with servers, though anything purchased there includes an 18% service fee. The pool has floats you can use; last summer it was food themed (donuts, cake rafts, etc.) and this year it is music themed (with guitars, giant cassette tape rafts, and so on). Overall This is one of my favorite hotels to stay at in California. I try to arrange travel to San Jose at least once every couple of months because this hotel is so enjoyable. I always look forward to staying here.

Clavilux Oct 9, 2019 10:33 pm

Thanks for sharing. That's a nice article.

GW McLintock May 21, 2021 7:25 pm

I just wanted to let everyone know that this hotel shut down in early March as the owners filed for bankruptcy :(

There are hopes that it will reopen later this year, though I am unsure if it will stay under the Fairmont banner.

-J.