Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Expert Hotel Reviews
Reload this Page >

Review: Hotel Republic San Diego, Autograph Collection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:46 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver

Hotel Republic San Diego, Autograph Collection

421 West B Street San Diego, California US 92101

Review: Hotel Republic San Diego, Autograph Collection (3 Photos)

Hotel Republic San Diego, Autograph Collection

I stayed at this property back in 2017 when it was a Renaissance Hotel, but the property as well as its rooms look similar enough that I have decided to post this review hoping it will still be relevant.

Check In

In my initial research of the hotel, I noticed that there was no option for self-parking, with valet parking as the only option should one arrive via driving. I had hoped to leverage my status (Marriott Gold at the time) to get the valet fee waived, but the front desk representative told me this could not be done as valet parking was handled through a contracted third party. I decided not to push back (as to not be rude), and continued through the check-in process. I was unable to secure a suite upgrade, but was instead upgraded to a room with a nicer view. Overall, check-in went smoothly without issues.

Room

The room is on the smaller side at 362 sq. ft., but it is beautifully set up. The bed was set against a beautiful wood-finished wall just begged to be photographed (and so I did), and the window-seat was plush with cushion and pillows against a stunning sunset backdrop.

E799B052-778C-4B2E-B295-BBAC7EFC5FE1.jpe

While on a smaller side at 362 sq. ft., the room is gorgeous

5BEA0969-3FC5-4FD8-B9E9-4CE7D7986530.jpe

The window seat was very photogenic and let in ample lighting

82DBC506-CDB0-4985-9D18-8A29C0554F0B.jpe

The bed was inviting, comforting, and set against a beautiful backdrop

The TV was smaller than I would have liked (at 32 inches), it seemed appropriate for the size of the room.

Likewise, the bathroom was also small, with a shower-only setting rather than a full bathtub. I have never bathed in hotels, so this was not a problem for me (in fact, I prefer rain shower systems). The toiletries were neatly set, and the lighting condition was neutral-toned and bright.

There were plenty of power outlets to charge my many electronic devices, from the iPhone to the Snap Sunglasses.

Service

I was not able to experience any service as I had only stayed one night. I left almost as soon as I checked in, only to come back late in the night to sleep. After sleeping in until 10 AM (utilizing the late check-out benefit), I went downstairs to eat brunch.

Dining

I thought the continental breakfast layout was good, and they covered the basics, from scrambled eggs to bacon and sausages, with servers refilling orange juice and hot coffee.

The yogurt parfait station was almost gone when I arrived, but I managed to get a bowlful of the yogurt, along with toppings such as granola and blueberries.

Breakfast was covered as a complimentary benefit for Gold members, and I did not have to pay for it.

While this hotel is located within Downtown, it is a bit away from the heart of the action at Gaslamp District (the hotel is located 8-9 blocks away from the northern edge of Gaslamp).

I took a short ride in an Uber to restaurants and bars, of which there are plenty in Gaslamp, and had a very enjoyable night.

8-9 blocks is definitely within reasonable distance of walking. However, I would not recommend it as a place to stay if one desires to frequent the room during the day.

Overall

Overall, I had an enjoyable stay at Hotel Republic San Diego, Autograph Collection, and I would definitely stay here again.

Would you like to write a review on the Hotel Republic San Diego, Autograph Collection?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.