Holiday Inn Express London - City (Old Street)

Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum

275 Old Street London, GB EC1V 9LN

Holiday Inn Express London - City (Old Street) (0 Photo)

Check in officially opens at 2pm but I arrived at around 1.30pm and was told this would not be an issue.  There was no queue so I was seen immediately.  Greeting was courteous more than friendly and I was welcomed as a Platinum cardholder and handed a welcome letter (which didn't really say much more than welcome), the location of the restaurant was pointed out to me and I was asked if I wanted to take bonus points or a drinks voucher as my elite benefit.  I opted for the points and 300 were deposited in my account by the end of that day.

The only issue I has was that when I got to my room I found that neither key card worked on the door, which meant I had to go all the way back down to reception.  Ultimately it happens and wasn't too much of an issue but it was a bit irritating as it was one of the hottest days of the summer and the lifts were like smelting ovens.

Room

I had booked a double room and received the same (there's not much choice in rooms at the hotel from an upgrade point of view and I think the only bigger room would have been one with a double bed and sofa bed, which wasn't much use to me). 

The room itself wasn't huge but it had enough space for me and my suitcase.  It was clean and in good condition with an armchair, desk, flat screen TV, kettle with tea and coffee, an ironing board and a built in hair dryer.  There's no in room safe but deposit boxes are apparently available from reception. 

The bathroom was in good condition and clean with a large walk in shower - water pressure was good but I would have liked a slightly bigger shower head because the spray was quite limited.  I also thought that the sink was quite small and there wasn't much room around it for my washbag.

There's a fixed soap dispenser next to the sink which was fine and a fixed body wash/shampoo dispenser in the shower (which I didn't use).

My room overlooked Old Street but I didn't get any street noise while I was there.  

The room had air conditioning, which worked well but you can't lower the temperature beneath 19 celsius.

My main gripe about the room was the matress, which was sagging on one side.  It wasn't bad enough to stop me from sleeping but it should have been sorted out in advance.  I mentioned it on check out and was given another 300 points as compensation, which was unexpected but good service recovery.

Main reason to stay here is location - it's a 5 minute walk from Old Street Tube and a 15 minute walk from Liverpool Street, which makes it a great base for business or tourism.

Overall

The room rate was expensive at £192 for the night but every equivalent hotel in the area that I tried at the time of booking was coming up around the same price (including Premier Inn and Ibis - the only chain hotel that was cheaper was a Travelodge with no air conditioning and booking one of those in London in June is insanity) so it wasn't out of kilter with the market.  I thought that it was a perfectly decent hotel and would stay there again.

Would you like to write a review on the Holiday Inn Express London - City (Old Street)?

No, thank you.
Yes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.