Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Westin Book Cadillac Detroit - Downtown Detroit. It has to be WBC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:10 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG P50, Hyatt D, Hilton D, AA P, Marriot G, Hz-PC, National EC

Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

1114 Washington Blvd Detroit, MI US 48226

Downtown Detroit. It has to be WBC (3 Photos)

While you are in Downtown D -

Please, you have to try Roasting Plant. 

Take it from someone who likes his coffee, and has tried hundreds of cafes 3 different continents, Roasting Plant is really good. Order a guatemalan huehuetenango, with a dash of agave nector in it.

2.5 blocks from the Westin Book Cadillac and right next to the traingular downtown piece of grass, sand, and makeshift stage/ ice-rink/ play zone.

BTW, the D is also a great place to take pictures.

1_IMG_0465.PNG

IMG_0466.PNG

IMG_0467.PNG

Valet & Parking

It probably makes more sense to use the valet. You can park yourself @ $20/ day withOUT in-out previliges or use the valet @ $25 a day. But do keep in mind that -

1. Valets are often missing from the curb area. So head inside the hotel main door and on the right (before the escalator to the lobby) there is a valet office where you can mostly find someone to take your car keys.

2. It can take 15-20 mintues for them to get your car out, so make sure you call the valet/ service express from your room before you head out. 

Check In

Standard process. Although they (like many other) don't usually follow the seperate line for SPG elites sturcture desptie having a sign for that on the check in desk. I have stayed in in this hotel every other week for about 9 months in 2015, and it was the same. every time. Something worth mentioning -

A couple (I won't name who) of ladies at the checkin counter who were usually on duty late evevning, would not volunteer a 'better' room despite my SPG Plat 50 status. They did have rooms available because they would eventually put me in the executive club floor and a larger room, or a room with a view After I reminded them about my status. Same story, week after week.

So, ask for a downtown view room on the EC floor, if you have status.

Room

Typical cookie cutter westin rooms. Nothing special, but nice. 

The corner rooms are much larger but are also furthe away from the elevators. And the non-corners rooms are also quite spacious so I prefer to avoid the corner rooms. Opt for rooms close to elevator, some of which are coincidently also positioned to offer you the best downtown view as well.

Service

Its WHY i prefer this over the Marriott Renissance at the iconoic GM renissance center building on the waterfront. Not that Westin's service is extraordinary, its just that Marriott Renissance is actually that bad.

It also helps that they have -

1. 24x7 in room dining, like all westins, which is not available in other hotels in the area

2. Westin workout gear for $5, if you are into that

Dining

Pretty good. Some really good (relative to the area) restaurants that will set you back by approimately 35 bucks for a dinner entry and a drink.

However, my personal favourite is Motor Bar (lobby) which serves suprising good food for a bar! Try the blackened fish tacos or the seabass. Entries are 18-25 bucks a piece and drinks about 10bucks. (2015-2016 prices)

If your work/ leisure brings you to downtown detroit area, this is the place to go to. Smack in the middle of downtown in an inconic building. Within 2 blocks of any downtown office building.

The bad -

70 nights spent in this hotel in 2015, and not a single complimentary upgrade to a suite for being an SPG platinum. Not once, They are always "booked" even though there are suites available for booking on their website. I guess when are the only decent option in the area, you get to play by your rules.

Overall

There really isn't another option if you are looking for a decent place in downtown detorit. If however, you were to venture towards Dearborn area, definately try out The Henry,Autotograph Collection by marriott.

Downtown Detroit. It has to be WBC

Would you like to write a review on the Westin Book Cadillac Detroit?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.