EVA Air Membership Tiers question

Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM
EVA Air Membership Tiers question

Is it correct in order to become an EVA Air Evergreen Club Gold member you actually have to fly 75,000 miles?
First 25,000 miles to reach silver and an additional 50,000 miles to become gold and an additional 140,000 miles to become Diamond?
If that is the case and you reach 75,000 miles within one year will you get instant gold or have to be silver first for one year?
Appreciate anyones comment who has been through the process.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 3:42 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
I waited to see if someone with recent direct experience replies... and they haven't so far, so I'll chime in before the thread disappears.... I've been gold for a while so things may have changed.

Originally Posted by yvrcnx
Is it correct in order to become an EVA Air Evergreen Club Gold member you actually have to fly 75,000 miles?
First 25,000 miles to reach silver and an additional 50,000 miles to become gold and an additional 140,000 miles to become Diamond?
That's my reading of their website. They do say they carry over any surplus miles... ie it should be 75,000 in the case of gold, not any more. Your "year to qualify" does roll within the two years silver membership. Ie if you are silver 2007/2008, you need 50,000 during any 12 month period during that time.

If that is the case and you reach 75,000 miles within one year will you get instant gold or have to be silver first for one year?
From my memory, its instant gold. You don't have to sit out silver, or the remainder of the 12 months qualification period. Silver membership lasts for 2 years. Once silver and you've done the extra 50,000 (including any surplus from your silver qualification), their systems will update (?possibly at the month end) and you'll get a gold card... Until you get the new card, they should know your gold status - it will be recorded on flight bookings etc. You will then be gold for 2 years - during which time 140K within a 12 month period gets you diamond.

Perhaps other BR FFs can read through the above and see if it matches their experience.

As remarked on another thread, I think silver is not bad. Extra luggage, lounge, separate check-in. The relative jump in rewards as you go to gold/diamond are not that great.

Last edited by jimbo99; Sep 15, 2007 at 5:05 pm Reason: grammar in first sentence
Old Sep 15, 2007, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks jimbo99. I knew I could count on you.
I was hoping that I was reading it wrong and it meant that they would use a similar system most airlines use; if you reach 25,000 miles it's silver, with another 25,000 = 50,000 you get gold or whatever tier they might call it.
I have a quite a few flights booked with EVA Air in C and was hoping to get gold earlier. But flying in C probably gives you everything that you really need.
Except Gold's/Diamonds flying in C probably get a better seat selection.

I was able to only get the last row in C on the 747 both in- and outbound out of Vancouver, which seems to only have a curtain as a seperation.
They are now only using 747's with Premium Laurel Class out of YVR which is nice.

One more thing I would like to commend EVA Air on is their office in Vancouver. I have called them 3 times over the last 2 weeks and each time I either got a person on the phone immediately - no choices I had to make -or within 30 seconds. And each time I received great and very informative service - very impressed. Maybe I was just lucky but to know that I can get support in this manner locally if something goes wrong is good and definelty is a big factor in which airline I choose.

Thanks again jimbo99.

Last edited by yvrcnx; Sep 15, 2007 at 10:40 am
Old Sep 15, 2007, 5:29 pm

I was hoping that I was reading it wrong and it meant that they would use a similar system most airlines use; if you reach 25,000 miles it's silver, with another 25,000 = 50,000 you get gold or whatever tier they might call it.
I did wonder if it was a "rolling year" for 50,000, but that the year could be backdated. Ie lets say you get 2,500 per month for 12 months. That would get you silver (just). Then your gold target would be 27,500 during the next month. Or 30,000 during the next two months (because at the end of those two months you would have got 50,000 in the previous 12 months). I could read it that way... but when I go online, it gives me a target for diamond.. and it doesn't take into account the miles that I used to requalify for gold.

Our "what chance is there for the rest of us" silver member Gus might be able to confirm this - if you're reading, Gus, perhaps you can log on and see what your target for gold is... If my first reading is correct, and you are within your first year of silver membership, then it will be 50,000 minus any miles you've got since getting silver, minus any "overshoot" (miles in excess of 25,000 before your silver period started).

I have a quite a few flights booked with EVA Air in C and was hoping to get gold earlier. But flying in C probably gives you everything that you really need.
Except Gold's/Diamonds flying in C probably get a better seat selection.

I was able to only get the last row in C on the 747 both in- and outbound out of Vancouver, which seems to only have a curtain as a seperation.
They are now only using 747's with Premium Laurel Class out of YVR which is nice.
Really Gold is of no practical extra value if you are flying in C, except, perhaps if you can't get the flight you want (dubious) or for getting the best seats, as you say. Its funny you mention this: I just went on to allocate a 747 PL seat. I did it 99 days, 22 hours before take-off. Ie 2 hours after allocation opens. All the seats in the front cabin were taken, as were most in the rear. I assume they are blocked rather than taken - and the online system doesn't bother to check for my gold status. I will have to call them.

In any case, its not an easy decision. On the 777 I go for an aisle seat, centre block, front cabin - no climbing to get out, plus nobody has to climb over me. I don't like the rear cabin - too much traffic as FAs march through. On the 747, no centre block in the rear cabin.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Jimbo99, what is your success rate when you check in online to change to a better seat?
I would think that there is some choice when you check in 24 hours in advance.
I think the best seat on the 747's in PL is in the very front.
Probaby nice and quiet cabin. I was lucky enough to get 2 seats there on my return but not on my outbound. I am still hoping it might change closer to departure date.
I'll post my comments after this trip.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 1:59 am

Jimbo99, what is your success rate when you check in online to change to a better seat?
I would think that there is some choice when you check in 24 hours in advance.
I think the best seat on the 747's in PL is in the very front.
Probaby nice and quiet cabin. I was lucky enough to get 2 seats there on my return but not on my outbound. I am still hoping it might change closer to departure date.
I'll post my comments after this trip.
I've never checked in online in my life! Usually I've booked flights within the 100 day period, and via one of their offices. So I've had a seat allocated then. If its outside the 100 day period, then I try online at 100 days, but usually end up calling them because so many seats seem blocked. I've always got a reasonable seat - bear in mind I'm usually in Elite these days and there's not much difference between the seats.

I suggest you just call them to get the best seat you can. If you're not happy, then just periodically call back. People often change flights. I wouldn't wait until online check-in opens - and am not sure how much extra flexibility this might give anyway. You have a good chance of changing a seat at the "real" check-in or at the gate. On my last exit from LHR, some PL'ers didn't show. Some would-be changers had made themselves known at check-in. Just prior to boarding they were re-allocated at the gate. (By the same woman who had been manning the PL check-in). Much more civilised than a free-for-all on board.

Yep, front of the 747 will be very quiet. I've been there in Deluxe and First. Just worried the front rows seem cramped and the aisle seats are slanted towards each other. I could feel trapped in the window seat - but it would be my first choice if there was extra leg room so I could get past my neighbour easily. Else think my first choice would be the middle or back row. Do look forward to your comments!
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:03 am
Original Poster

I just found out on their website that online check-in isn't possible to and from Vancouver anyway. It is still quite limited. I will take your advice and call their office tomorrow. They have been really helpful so far, let's hope they keep it up.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Does this help?

---------

Dear Mr. xxx
We are glad to welcome you as our Silver Card member, the Silver Card membership is from 06/01/2006 to 05/31/2008.

1. You can extend 2 years for your card status if you earn another 23632 valid mile, or 38 valid sector before 05/31/2008.
2. You can upgrade your card status to Gold Card if you earn another 33632 valid mile, or 46 valid sector before 05/31/2008.
(You have travelled 4 valid sector, 16368 valid mile from 09/13/2006 to 08/01/2007.)
Upgrade calculation does not include travel within 5 days.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TypicalAnonym
Does this help?

---------

Dear Mr. xxx
We are glad to welcome you as our Silver Card member, the Silver Card membership is from 06/01/2006 to 05/31/2008.

1. You can extend 2 years for your card status if you earn another 23632 valid mile, or 38 valid sector before 05/31/2008.
2. You can upgrade your card status to Gold Card if you earn another 33632 valid mile, or 46 valid sector before 05/31/2008.
(You have travelled 4 valid sector, 16368 valid mile from 09/13/2006 to 08/01/2007.)
Upgrade calculation does not include travel within 5 days.
Thank you very much for this info. Yes, this does help.
It seems like to get gold, within a year only 50,000 is needed.
I don't know what my valid year is anymore and it doesn't show on my account as I haven't flown EVA Air for quite a while but giving them all my business for the rest of the year.
I'll just fly and see what happens.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 3:03 am

Thank you very much for this info. Yes, this does help.
It seems like to get gold, within a year only 50,000 is needed.
Hmmm, regret I still think that's only the case if you already have Silver. Ie you've got the 25,000 first (though not necessarily in the same year). At least that's from my reading of TypicalAnonym's output:

So TypicalAnonym got his qualification/re-qualification miles before 31st May 2006.

Yes.. that's correct. He needs 40,000 by 31st May 2008. And he's already got 16,368 since he got this silver card (see below).

Yep - you need 50,000 for gold - that's 33,632+16,368. (Again, 16,368 earned whilst already silver). I think it is assuming that those 16,368 were gained after 31st May 2007. (Otherwise the deadline of 31st May 2008 wouldn't make sense.)

Odd it quotes miles gained from 13th Sep. Presumably TypicalAnonym didn't fly between 1st June 2006 and 12th Sep 2006. (Or its a bug.) As noted, the target quantity/deadline for gold above suggests they were obtained after 31st May, 2007.

It is hard to understand some of the periods they quote. I've noticed they can "roll" a bit - so they work in your favour. Also sometimes the software that generates this output sometimes simply goes wrong. For example I've been told "You have already re-qualifed for gold membership. To re-qualify you need..." etc.

As you say.. perhaps we'll just have to "wait and see". They might even exercise some discretion - especially if you ask them.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Odd it quotes miles gained from 13th Sep
That's because the default range on the web site when looking up summaries and activity is one year and I didn't change it.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:24 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
You can get your own statement of exactly what you need to get to the next tier by going to evaair.com, log in with your card# and password. From the "Members-only area" drop down menu select "Mileage Details" and then click on the red "MILEAGE DATA" link on the left. It should spell out exactly what YOU need.

If you don't like the seats available on-line, call them. There are seats blocked to on-line seat assignment that are otherwise available to anyone who calls and there are gold/diamond seats which are unavailable on-line too. The on-line seat selection is actually quite limited and they block ALLOT of seats. Gold/Diamond status is also not recognized unless you call.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
If you don't like the seats available on-line, call them. There are seats blocked to on-line seat assignment that are otherwise available to anyone who calls and there are gold/diamond seats which are unavailable on-line too. The on-line seat selection is actually quite limited and they block ALLOT of seats. Gold/Diamond status is also not recognized unless you call.
ha ha.. its funny you mention that. I just found out that the don't block ANY seats for golds in Business class. They only do this for Economy and Elite/Deluxe. This was from Taipei as of yesterday. (I was annoyed I couldn't get any aisle seats in the front cabin of a 747 flight in PL in December...). They said this is for all planes. I was quite surprised to learn this.

My Taiwanese friend will call again tomorrow to: 1) double check and 2) clarify if this applies to diamonds too.

As you say, if you are gold and seats are blocked for gold - then you have to call them to unblock them. Also I've found that not all EVA staff know how to do this.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by TypicalAnonym
That's because the default range on the web site when looking up summaries and activity is one year
Oh yes... of course. Its a year-to-date!
Old Sep 18, 2007, 2:15 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by jimbo99
ha ha.. its funny you mention that. I just found out that the don't block ANY seats for golds in Business class. They only do this for Economy and Elite/Deluxe. This was from Taipei as of yesterday. (I was annoyed I couldn't get any aisle seats in the front cabin of a 747 flight in PL in December...). They said this is for all planes. I was quite surprised to learn this.
I know for a fact that row 6 (the forwardmost bulkhead row) in PL on the 777's is always blocked, at least to on-line seat assignment. I can only get that row by calling. I don't know about the 747's but if you call them again, specifically ask about the forwardmost row.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.