Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

New Personal Carry-on Item Size Restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat

Beginning July 1, 2018, the “personal item”(backpack, purse, laptop etc.) of your carry-on allowance will have a dimension restriction in addition to a weight limit.
New size allowed is:
40cmx30cmx10cm/16inx12inx4in or a total linear dimension of 80cm/32in.

The new restriction is the result of new advice that the CAA handed out to airlines.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
That's a crazy restriction - for context, UA's personal item limit is 17x10x9in (and the actual size of the sizer at the gate is 18x11x9in).
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
I hope this is more of a guideline than a hard rule. I imagine most backpacks would be much bigger than the size restrictions.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:35 am

The 4" is killer. Most purses aren't even that thin.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
My laptop bag with computer and a book will be over that 4" mark.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Has anyone seen this enforced for business class lately?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Long haul flight with them tomorrow evening, and my bag is about 3 inches too deep. Will report back.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:50 pm

Keep in mind in business class you're allowed two pieces of carry-on baggage. So this is much less of a concern.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:47 pm

Dang, I was hoping to bring my motorcycle helmet as a personal item on my next trip. lol
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Eclipsed830
Dang, I was hoping to bring my motorcycle helmet as a personal item on my next trip. lol
Wear it.

/semi-serious.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:49 pm

Just checked in about 2 hours ago. No mention at all about the new personal carry item restrictions.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Btw, just a few little safety updates with regards to overall operation:

1. No hot drinks(regardless of your cabin class) whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated(no exceptions, FAs who violate this rule will be written up) This is in response to 11/2017 BR56, BR18, and BR12 incident, a lawsuit that they had to settle in the US stemming from spilled coffee back in 2014, a pretty severe incident with hot tea that happened in March and also something the union has suggested over and over again.
2. Crackdown on oversized/overweight baggage in the cabin(Vietnam stations are notorious for this)
3. Provision to be added in CoC and in the inflight magazine that FA’s are not responsible for carrying your carryon bags; they can help but you cannot demand that they put them up for you(always thought it should be like this....you are responsible for what you bring!)
4. Meal service suspension threshold raised after a safety review board and the MOL found a high # of galley cart injuries amongst the flight attendants in BR compared to fellow airlines
5. They are also cracking down on people stealing from the planes, mainly the blankets, pillows, lavatory items, and especially those that break into galley carts during a flight(have seen this quite a few times already). Those caught are subject to be blacklisted, billed for the items, and even arrested.
6. Began to implement a no-fly/blacklist in their reservation system. Prior to year 2018, only 3 people existed on the BR blacklist; all stemming from multiple instances that made the news!
7. Began a pax rating system in the reservations system(so don’t try and abuse the call center people)

Last edited by hayzel7773; Jul 9, 2018 at 9:48 am
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Btw, just a few little safety updates with regards to overall operation:

1. No hot drinks(regardless of your cabin class) whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated(no exceptions, FAs who violate this rule will be written up) This is in response to 11/2017 BR56, BR18, and BR12 incident, a lawsuit that they had to settle in the US stemming from spilled coffee back in 2014, a pretty severe incident with hot tea that happened in March and also something the union has suggested over and over again.
2. Crackdown on oversized/overweight baggage in the cabin(Vietnam stations are notorious for this)
3. Provision to be added in CoC and in the inflight magazine that FA’s are not responsible for carrying your carryon bags; they can help but you cannot demand that they put them up for you(always thought it should be like this....you are responsible for what you bring!)
4. Meal service suspension threshold lowered after a safety review board and the MOL found a high # of galley cart injuries amongst the flight attendants in BR compared to fellow airlines
5. They are also cracking down on people stealing from the planes, mainly the blankets, pillows, lavatory items, and especially those that break into galley carts during a flight(have seen this quite a few times already). Those caught are subject to be blacklisted, billed for the items, and even arrested.
6. Began to implement a no-fly/blacklist in their reservation system. Prior to year 2018, only 3 people existed on the BR blacklist; all stemming from multiple instances that made the news!
7. Began a pax rating system in the reservations system(so don’t try and abuse the call center people)
#4. You mean the threshold has been raised for meal service suspension, right?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:48 am
Original Poster

#4. You mean the threshold has been raised for meal service suspension, right?
Yes, my bad.
longtimeflyin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.