EVA vs UA in business

Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / MM
EVA vs UA in business

I'm 1K on United with multiple paid business international flights this year on 787 and 777s (Asia, Africa, Europe). I've also been in ANA 787 business recently. UA business is beginning to feel very average.

I'll be flying to HKG in February and am considering EVA, solely for the flight experience. I know I'll earn less miles and qualifying miles than on United metal - will the inflight experience be significantly better than UA?

For reference, my ultimate flight was LAX-SIN on SQ all business (A330?) with the old flip down lay flat seats that end up like a true twin-sized bed. How do I get that seat and service experience again?
Old Nov 15, 2023, 3:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Most seasoned FTers would consider BR a cut above UA in terms of overall J experience. Without a doubt, BR's soft product (food, drinks, service, amenities) blows UA's away. In terms of hard product, it can be a bit more of a tossup. Some folks prefer the Polaris seat and layout, whereas others prefer the reverse herringbone seat and layout BR uses on its TPAC flights. Perhaps the only clear advantage UA has over BR is that UA has individual air vents/nozzles on the majority of its widebody aircraft, whereas AFAIK BR doesn't.

If you want to replicate your SQ experience, fly SQ. Their J seat is unique, and no other airline offers a similar seat.

Since you've never flown BR, I'd suggest giving them a whirl this time. That way you'll have tried most major *A TPAC airlines and products (UA, BR, SQ, NH), and know the strengths and weaknesses of each and which to pick in the future.
artvandalay and aquanine like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 3:33 am

Yes, in principle the BR service will be better (although of course sometimes UA crews perform above average). Ones expectations are usually higher for Asian carriers. It should be noted, however, that there are some cultural differences with Asian carriers. I do think the English skills of BR crew are not as polished as those of SQ.

And the LAX-SIN flight on SQ was probably on an A350 or, in the earliest era of that direct flight, an A340-500.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by tomanova
I'll be flying to HKG in February and am considering EVA, solely for the flight experience. I know I'll earn less miles and qualifying miles than on United metal - will the inflight experience be significantly better than UA?
Unless you have UA MP ambitions greater than MM, you owe it to yourself to try BR.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / MM
Originally Posted by artvandalay
Unless you have UA MP ambitions greater than MM, you owe it to yourself to try BR.
Probably my last year of flying on OPM.

Booked BR on 777, 789, and A330 aircraft, looking forward to the experience. The other benefit is the long-haul return into IAH. I hate a domestic flight after international, such a let down getting on a 737.
FlyingJoy and Violin1990 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tomanova
Booked BR on 777, 789, and A330 aircraft, looking forward to the experience. The other benefit is the long-haul return into IAH. I hate a domestic flight after international, such a let down getting on a 737.
Certainly another benefit of BR. And if that aircraft mix holds up, you'll have gotten to try all three BR widebody hard products.
Violin1990 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Fly EVA. It is. fare superior to UA
Old Nov 24, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
BR business is really good.
Violin1990 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Davvidd
BR business is really good.
Unless you have a need for vigorous interaction and conversation in English with the FA.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by AfterHour
Unless you have a need for vigorous interaction and conversation in English with the FA.
I never had an issue in flight in communicating with them for my requirements. I only fly long haul and the Asean so it may be different on other sectors. I have no need for private chit chat with them anyway.
abmwilli likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 8:27 am

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
Having flown all of the above (SQ, BR, UA) in J within the past 10 months and across various aircraft (SQ A350 both regional and longhaul, A380, B777 - BR B787, B777 - UA B777), I definitely rank SQ and BR above UA overall. I slept well in the UA Polaris seat, and I liked the bedding and the amenity kit, but I found the cabin to have a much more crowded and much less "luxe" feeling than any of SQ or BR's configurations.

The food on UA was terrible compared to BR and SQ - my pasta was partially dry and hard!!

I rate BR's food above SQ's. It feels like a proper fine dining banquet compared to SQ. I find SQ's main course portions to be a bit small...and I say this as a petite woman!

With regard to BR's cabins, I actually prefer the B777 over the B787. The B777 seat may be older, with fewer bells and whistles than the B787, but I find it to be much roomier. The huge side console on the B787 takes up so much space.

I do agree with Stratoliner's observation regarding the slightly less polished English skills of BR's crew. On my VIE-TPE flight, the gentleman seated in front of me asked the flight attendant for an amenity kit before takeoff and he had to repeat himself several times before she understood "amenity kit". Personally, I've never had any communication issues with them...but then again my requests rarely go beyond asking for more tea or wine
artvandalay and LuckyStrike like this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 2:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingJoy
Having flown all of the above (SQ, BR, UA) in J within the past 10 months and across various aircraft (SQ A350 both regional and longhaul, A380, B777 - BR B787, B777 - UA B777), I definitely rank SQ and BR above UA overall. I slept well in the UA Polaris seat, and I liked the bedding and the amenity kit, but I found the cabin to have a much more crowded and much less "luxe" feeling than any of SQ or BR's configurations.

The food on UA was terrible compared to BR and SQ - my pasta was partially dry and hard!!

I rate BR's food above SQ's. It feels like a proper fine dining banquet compared to SQ. I find SQ's main course portions to be a bit small...and I say this as a petite woman!

With regard to BR's cabins, I actually prefer the B777 over the B787. The B777 seat may be older, with fewer bells and whistles than the B787, but I find it to be much roomier. The huge side console on the B787 takes up so much space.

I do agree with Stratoliner's observation regarding the slightly less polished English skills of BR's crew. On my VIE-TPE flight, the gentleman seated in front of me asked the flight attendant for an amenity kit before takeoff and he had to repeat himself several times before she understood "amenity kit". Personally, I've never had any communication issues with them...but then again my requests rarely go beyond asking for more tea or wine
For this short flight, there is no amenity kits given put. The gentleman was asking something extra that is not offered. This remind me of a YouTuber complaining about BA business class FA refused his request for an ice tea. It's not on the drink menu. LOL.

Last edited by AfterHour; Nov 28, 2023 at 2:47 am
Old Nov 28, 2023, 5:21 am

I have found in Asia that accents also matters in them understanding what you are saying. Not only on BR but many SEA airlines too.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 6:51 am

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
Originally Posted by AfterHour
For this short flight, there is no amenity kits given put. The gentleman was asking something extra that is not offered. This remind me of a YouTuber complaining about BA business class FA refused his request for an ice tea. It's not on the drink menu. LOL.
VIE-TPE is Vienna-Taipei, therefore a long flight? I certainly got an amenity kit - the FAs just hadn't handed them out yet when that guy asked for one. Though I definitely agree with your point about how funny it is when DYKWIAs complain!

On a side note, I took that VIE-TPE flight on January 23rd, one day after the Lunar New Year. Connected to TPE-BNE. On both flights, I was treated to a "special Lunar New Year greeting from Hello Kitty" boarding video and 30 minutes of Hello Kitty boarding music playing on loop...

yitianjian likes this.

Last edited by FlyingJoy; Nov 28, 2023 at 7:07 am
Old Nov 29, 2023, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This is kind of like asking should I buy my clothes at Walmart or Nordstrom?

While there will be some debate around the seat comfort (I dont notice a big difference between them), literally everything else between United (Walmart) and EVA (Nordstrom) is no contest.

The only thing I dont like about EVA is the ex-USA boarding process which is total chaos with mostly contractor agents supervised by 1 or 2 EVA employees and endless lines with poor communication about who needs to check in, get a new boarding pass, etc.

But once on board, everything with the BR experience is vastly, by leaps and bounds, superior to United, and thats taking into account the major downgrade in EVA RL food quantity.
abmwilli likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.