Royal Laurel Meals 2022 on (post Covid)

Old Nov 22, 2023, 5:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Carfield
Thankfully they finally bring back the printed menus and wine lists!
Do you have to request them or are they automatically given out now?

Thanks
Adrian
Automatically given out on my BR11, not available at all on BR 15
Carfield likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The portions have shrunk in a major way, and while I was hoping my wagyu beef would look and taste like this absolutely mind blowingly dish (pictured) from JAL last year, what I ended up with on BR11 was a flat, dry tasteless hockey puck while the other half on BR15 was given a a filet style that was impossible to cut with the knife provided.
The midnight meal no longer includes the famous burger and fries, so I didnt bother trying. I was given a bowl of cereal with breakfast that was 2-3 tablespoons at best.
while the champagne was downgraded significantly, it was still delicious .
Seems like EVA is following ANA's footsteps to downgrade/downsize onboard catering. ANA even encourages customers to op out meals on their website. ANA no longer serves first meal for flight departing close to midnight.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 3:27 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by AfterHour
Seems like EVA is following ANA's footsteps to downgrade/downsize onboard catering. ANA even encourages customers to op out meals on their website. ANA no longer serves first meal for flight departing close to midnight.
It appears that way - but at least its not a plate of mostly tasteless miscellaneous slop like United hands out.

That still leaves JAL as the lead for food quality in Asia, maybe alongside SQ.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
The November menu for TPE-JFK is amazing. Really delicious Chinese meal!
Old Nov 30, 2023, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MahiMahi524
LAX-TPE

Supper:
Roasted Duck Noodle Soup(553 kcal) Served with Traditional Delicatessen
Pan Seared USDA Prime Beef Fillet with Crystal Pink Salt or Coffee Cream Mushrooms Sauce Served with Seasonal Vegetables and Mashed Potato (840 kcal)
Steamed Chilean Sea Bass Served with Seasonal Vegetables and Egg Fried Rice (700 kcal)

Online Exclusive Meals:
Braised Pork with Preserved Vegetable Sauce Served with Seasonal Vegetables and Steamed Rice (908kcal)
Lobster Nage En Papillote Served with Butter Sauce Spring Vegetables (335 kcal) *
Mushroom Crusted Halibut with Red Verjus Grape Sauce Served with Seasonal Vegetables and Parsnip Puree (417 kcal)
Pan Seared Waguy Beef Ribeye with Port Wine Sauce Served with Vegetables and Duck Fat Potato Pave (789 kcal)
Braised Abalone and Sea Cucumber Served with Vegetables and Steamed Rice (362 kcal)

Breakfast:
Egg Benedict and Monte Cristo Sandwich (733 kcal)
Taiwanese Style Congee (171 kcal) Severed with Cold Delicatessens, Three Color Egg and Braised Lion Head with Cabbage
White Chocolate Croissant Pudding with Assorted Berries and Vanilla Sauce (724 kcal) *
Any opinions on the LAX-TPE options above? I usually have a slight preference for Asian food, but would happily go with a Western option if there are uniformly good reviews.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:47 pm

Programs: Stanby life since 2007
Any thoughts on:

Fried Chilean Sea Bass with Tea and Herbal Crumble Served with Assorted Vegetable and Egg Fried Rice
(onboard menu)

vs

Steamed Chilean Sea Bass with Chopped Chili Paste Served with Multi Grain Rice
(Pre-order)

TPE - LAX

Is the sea bass usually fishy?

Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2023, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
Any opinions on the LAX-TPE options above? I usually have a slight preference for Asian food, but would happily go with a Western option if there are uniformly good reviews.
The braised pork was quite good, but I also generally enjoy BRs lobster.

Originally Posted by san88
Any thoughts on:

Fried Chilean Sea Bass with Tea and Herbal Crumble Served with Assorted Vegetable and Egg Fried Rice
(onboard menu)

vs

Steamed Chilean Sea Bass with Chopped Chili Paste Served with Multi Grain Rice
(Pre-order)

TPE - LAX

Is the sea bass usually fishy?

Thanks
If by fishy you meant unpleasant fish smell, then no. Ive always chosen the chopped chili sea bass when the option exists. Definitely one of my favorite meal choice tPAC.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 4:10 pm
Community Director Emerita

I chose Lobster Nage En Papillote Served with Butter Sauce Spring Vegetables (335 kcal) *. Our flight left at 10:30pm so by the time we got to the main, it was past midnight. I didn't want a heavy dish as I knew I wanted to sleep very soon. The lobster was good and I was content.
Jm0115 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I chose Lobster Nage En Papillote Served with Butter Sauce Spring Vegetables (335 kcal) *. Our flight left at 10:30pm so by the time we got to the main, it was past midnight. I didn't want a heavy dish as I knew I wanted to sleep very soon. The lobster was good and I was content.
What was your take on the portion size?
Old Dec 1, 2023, 5:14 pm
Community Director Emerita

What was your take on the portion size?
Perfectly fine. I had misread the post about portion size above. I realized when I re read it that it was SQ, not EVA.

Specifially on the lobster dish I chose, it was a light serving - and that is what I wanted at midnight. I had already had an amuse bouche and a nice appetizer (4 sections of crab legs on corn salsa and avocado.)
bocastephen likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 2:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Ex-TPE there is a choice of "braised beef shank, tendon, and tripe in superior soya sauce with noodles." Does anyone know if this is a beef noodle soup dish, or are the noodles dry/with sauce?
Old Dec 11, 2023, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
Ex-TPE there is a choice of "braised beef shank, tendon, and tripe in superior soya sauce with noodles." Does anyone know if this is a beef noodle soup dish, or are the noodles dry/with sauce?
didnt try this dish but
from the description, should be dry noodles with sauce and the braised meat on top.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
I was on BR26 and due to some unfortunate events, I was still hungry after the main meal so gave the midflight snacks a try for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the burger was (fries not so much), and unpleasantly surprised by its size - it was so substantial that I could barely finish it.

Ive also heard other pax asking for a second entree. But given the portion and quality of the inflight snacks, itd be really hard to go hungry in J.
Do you ring the call button in the middle of the night or go to the galley to get the burger? Looks fantastic!
Old Dec 16, 2023, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Jm0115
Do you ring the call button in the middle of the night or go to the galley to get the burger? Looks fantastic!
The burger I had wasnt as good as I remember and the fries, which used to be crispy and perfect, were a soggy tasteless mess this time - but any of the mid flight snacks can be ordered by pressing the call button. Unlike United, no one will ignore you or storm over to your seat yelling whadyawant!!
Jm0115 and nexus7556 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
The burger I had wasnt as good as I remember and the fries, which used to be crispy and perfect, were a soggy tasteless mess this time - but any of the mid flight snacks can be ordered by pressing the call button. Unlike United, no one will ignore you or storm over to your seat yelling whadyawant!!
Thanks. As you said I am afraid to hit the call button on United- if they even come at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.