Royal Laurel Meals 2022 on (post Covid)

Old Jul 20, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: HA Platinum, UA Silver
Flying HND-TSA on Monday 24 July, any recs?
Is the Premium Laurel Special from Din Tai Fung even if "Din Tai Fung" is not part of the description?

Western Cuisine
Filet of Beef with Wasabi Green Onion Puree, Madeira Wine Sauce and Saffron Potatoes (410kcal)

Japanese Cuisine
Deep Fried Chicken and Vegetables in Grated Radish Thick Broth (Abedori Chicken) (233kcal)

Premium Laurel Special
Chicken Yuzu Shio Ramen (317kcal)

Online Exclusive Meals
Deep-fried Salmon with Mushroom Thick Broth (365kcal)

Online Exclusive Meals
Pork Spareribs Served with Fried Potato (462kcal)

Online Exclusive Meals
Beef Hamburger Steak with Cheese Barbecue Chili Sauce (625kcal)
Old Jul 21, 2023, 4:02 am

I don't think Ding Tai Fung serves Japanese ramen, but it might be a new brand or vendor that EVA Air is partnering now on ex-Japan flights. BTW EVA Air actually does not do return catering for these short Japanese flights (well at least in J). I was quite surprised especially CX has gone return catering for decades now. Only morning flights (a/c overnight at Japan) obviously get fresh catering from Japan.

I am generally a fan of EVA's Japanese meal, as they are quite special. However, if you are not a fan of Japanese meals, I will go with the Western or Premium Laurel special. Honestly EVA's catering is pretty good.

Just an observation, both Japanese and Premium Laurel special are two-course meal with starters and entree all come in one tray first, followed by dessert.
Western meals are served in three courses - starter, main course, and dessert. If you are a big eater, you may want to order the Western meal.

Carfield

Last edited by Carfield; Jul 22, 2023 at 8:16 pm
Old Jul 22, 2023, 12:25 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
The lamb and the potato was not good on the flight from TPE to YYZ on the 21st. The previous trip it was good. For some odd reason the slippers they gave on this sector was worse that the slippers they normally give and what they gave on the KUL to TPE sector. Their Lounge in TPE is getting overcrowded and they are putting everyone in the same side of the lounge now. Business and Star G. Last evening (21st) it was difficult to find a an empty table.
The flight from TPE to YYZ was full with just one empty seat in J. Normally the inflight personal service is good but not last night.
Yes the IFE has been crap and is still crap and will be so in the future too I feel. The worst IFE I have even seen on a full flight airline.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 3:09 pm

I've got a red eye flight coming up LAX to TPE that I can fly in J on either EVA or ANA. I'm curious what people think about the meal service on either airline, specifically the redeye service?

Also, ANA has "Light Dishes Anytime" you can order on demand. There seem to be relatively substantial offerings: current menu for NH105. Does EVA have things like that as well in J? Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 24, 2023, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by alany611
I've got a red eye flight coming up LAX to TPE that I can fly in J on either EVA or ANA. I'm curious what people think about the meal service on either airline, specifically the redeye service?

Also, ANA has "Light Dishes Anytime" you can order on demand. There seem to be relatively substantial offerings: current menu for NH105. Does EVA have things like that as well in J? Thanks in advance!
I did not see any on the TPE to YYZ flight. Does ANA give pajamas? That was one plus for me on BR. The food is going from bad to worse on BR.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 11:25 pm

Yes. You can order small dishes like burgers and noodles. They are quite substantial - perhaps 1/2 the quantity of a normal J meal.

Originally Posted by Davvidd
I did not see any on the TPE to YYZ flight. Does ANA give pajamas? That was one plus for me on BR. The food is going from bad to worse on BR.
NH does offer PJ and I prefer them over the BR ones, which gives me static everywhere on the plane. I mostly wear UAs human billboard PJ on BR flights just to avoid static.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Yes. You can order small dishes like burgers and noodles. They are quite substantial - perhaps 1/2 the quantity of a normal J meal.

NH does offer PJ and I prefer them over the BR ones, which gives me static everywhere on the plane. I mostly wear UAs human billboard PJ on BR flights just to avoid static.
Thank you. My route is different and only a few airlines like NH and BR gets me where I want with the best connection. BR so far gives a good fare too.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 8:59 pm

ANA basically offers the minimal possible service on those redeye flights to allow passengers to rest. Please remember that you need to ask for those light dishes actively too. They only offer some amuse bouche and a beverage service after takeoff and then lights out till two and half hours prior to arrival. The F/As will not ask if you want anything to eat.

EVA Air offers a full "supper" service after takeoff. It is a full four course dinner with canape, starter, main course, and dessert. They also have a mid-flight refreshment on demand menu, which is typically some kind of Chinese noodle dish, hamburger, and the usual instant noodles/cookies/packaged snacks offering. A hot breakfast will be offered prior to arrival. I posted a Taipei to Munich menu earlier in the thread and you can expect something similar on all EVA Air long haul late night departures.

In terms of PJ/amenity kits, both airlines offer pajamas (I think ANA recollects pajamas in J for reusing but not sure if it is true) and a nice amenity kit. I personally like the EVA Air's fancier amenity kits better but honestly both airlines offer a good quality amenity kit anyway. It is just up to your personal taste.

Basically the only major difference between ANA and EVA Air on the redeye flight is the catering - ANA does not serve any main meal after takeoff, while EVA Air offers a supper. They both have mid-flight snacks on demand and a breakfast prior to arrival At LAX, they both use the same Star Alliance lounge. Amenities wise, they are also similar. Cabin wise - ANA is not currently offering the Room - their latest suite seats on LAX routes, so I consider EVA's suites on its 777s and ANA's business staggered the same in terms of comfort wise. I don't know your final destination but other than the "missing" dinner on ANA, both airlines are pretty good.

Carfield
Old Jul 28, 2023, 1:57 pm

This would be my first time on J class, SEA-TPE-PNH : These are my menu for Supper, any recommendations? I don't like fish so Snapper and Sea bass are not an option :

1. Taiwanese Braised Pork Noodle with Cordyceps Flower Chicken Soup (354kcal) Served with Traditional Delecatessens
2. Steamed Chilean Sea Bass with Ginger and Scallion Sauce Served with Assorted Vegetables and Multigrain Rice (471kcal)
3. Grilled USDA Prime Beef Filet with Wild Mushroom Sauce Served with Assorted Vegetables and Potatoes (571kcal)
4. Roasted Red Snapper with Cippinio Sauce Served with Assorted Vegetables and Chateau Potatoes (228kcal)
5. Lobster with Ginger Onion Sauce Served with Assorted Vegetables and Egg Fried Rice (493kcal)
6. Grilled Prime Beef Filet with Madeira Sauce Served with Mixed Vegetables and Mashed Potato with Leek (626kcal)
7. Roasted Lamb Chop with Chasseur Sauce Served with Assorted Vegetables and Risotto (627kcal)and my spouse are Indian so he want to try Hindu Meals

Thanks,
Old Jul 28, 2023, 5:08 pm

If no fish, I have tried and liked (1) and (5).

Unfortunately, Not a fan of red meat with EVA. Never worked for me somehow.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 1:56 pm

Anyone with recent recommendations for below entrees? Saw upthread the lamb was pretty good.

ORD-TPE
Supper
  • Braised Beef Noodle Soup (347kcal) Served with Traditional Delicatessens
  • Lobster with Cashew Nuts and Braised Pork Served with Assorted Vegetables and Steamed Rice (892kcal)
  • Chicken Roulade Served with Coconut Curry Soba Noodles and Assorted Vegetables (381kcal)

Online Exclusive Meals
  • Grilled Chicken Stuffed with Ricotta and Prosciutto Served with Rosmary-Mashed Potato and Mixed Vegetables (473kcal)
  • Braised Duck and Taro Served with Vegetables and Egg Fried Rice (662kcal)
  • Braised Veal Cheek with Rosemary Jus Served with Mahsed Celeriac and Grilled Baby Carrot (338kcal)
  • Cucumber Stuffed Prawn with Dry Scallops Egg White Fried Rice and Broccoli (282kcal)
  • Gratinated Lobster with young vegetables and Mashed Potato (404kcal)
Breakfast
  • Chinese Plain Congee (171kcal) Served with Traditional Delicatessens,Egg Pancake with Shrimp,Braised Tofu with Mushroom
  • Crepe with Strawberry Sweet Curd and Cherry Coulis (225kcal)
  • Mixed Vegetable Omelette Served with Bacon and Grilled Vegetables (256kcal)
TPE-BNE
Light Meal
  • Braised Pork with Taro in Soy Sauce Served with Assorted Vegetable and Savoury Rice with Chopped Bok Choy (Golden Quality Award Chishang Organic Rice) (695kcal)
  • Din Tai Fung Braised Beef Noodle Soup (412kcal) Served with Traditional Delicatessens
  • Seared Taiwan Brindal Bass with Garlic Butter Clam Sauce Served with Assorted Vegetable and Creamy Spaghetti (523kcal)

Online Exclusive Meals
  • Created by Chef Paul Lee - Braised Beef Cheek Fermented Black Beans Potato Puree Nest Fern (358kcal)
  • Sauteed Seafood with Gremolata Sauce Served with Truffle and Mushroom Risotto and Mixed Vegetables (542kcal)
  • Created by Chef Ching-Biao, Huang -Braised Pork Belly with Preserved Vegetable Served with Steamed Rice (741kcal)
  • Roasted Pork Spareribs with Honey Pommery Mustard Sauce Served with Mixed Vegetables and Mashed Potatoes (683kcal)
  • Created by Chef Ching-Biao, Huang - Steamed Chilean Sea Bass with Chopped Chili Paste Served with Multi Grain Rice (679kcal)
  • Braised Plant-Based Wrapped with Water Bamboo in Lemon Grass Sauce Served with Steamed Rice with Red Quinoa and Barley (578kcal)
  • Rack of Lamb Cutlet Coated with Lime Herb Crust with Rosemary Sauce Served with Mixed Vegetables and Red Skin Potatoes (695kcal)
  • Assorted Mushroom with Red Date and Ginkonut in Lotus Leaf Parcel Served with Mixed Vegetables and Steamed Rice with Pearl Barley (436kcal)

Refreshing Meal
  • Chinese Plain Congee (171kcal) Served with Traditional Side Dishes, Shrimp Cheung Fun, Stir Fried Maitake Mushroom and Chicken
  • Noodle Soup with Fried Pork Spare Ribs and White Gourd (538kcal) Served with Traditional Delicatessens
  • Spinach and Chicken Sausage Quiche with Parsley Potatoes (462kcal)
Old Aug 7, 2023, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by coffee18
Anyone with recent recommendations for below entrees? Saw upthread the lamb was pretty good.
On ORD-TPE, I usually enjoy BR's lobsters, and the taro duck was pretty good as well.

On TPE-BNE, the sea bass with chill is really good (my go to choice this year). The lamb should be good as well. For breakfast, the noodle soup with spare ribs is quite good.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Does anyone have any recommendations for my two upcoming flights? Both are within Asia. I do have a preference for Asian food but I am not a picky eater.

Flight 1:
1. Braised Pork Spare Ribs with Red Yeast Fermented Rice Sauce Served with Egg Fried Rice and Assorted Vegetables (666kcal)
2. Pan Fried Sea Bass with Garlic Flavoured Creamy Clam Sauce Served with Buttered Potatoes and Assorted Vegetables (400kcal)
3. Created by Chef Ching-Biao, Huang - Steamed Halibut with Chopped Chili Paste Served with Multi Grain Rice(Golden Quality Award Chishang Organic Rice) (679kcal)
4. Grilled Beef Fillet with Mushroom in Black Pepper Sauce Served with Assorted Vegetables and Gratin Red Skin Potatoes (506kcal)
5. Wok Fried Seafood with Fermented Rice in Chinese Tomato Sauce Served with Assorted Vegetables and Egg Ramen (366kcal)

Flight 2 (I am confused by the range of calories offered) :
1. Din Tai Fung Juicy Pork Dumpling(168kcal) Served with House Steamed Chicken Soup
2. Created by Chef Motokazu Nakamura-Grilled Barbeque Eel with Sansho Pepper (224kcal)
3. Beef Steak with Cepes and Shimeji Mushroom in Creamy Brown Sauce Served with Bamboo Shoot and Potatoes Au Gratin (486kcal)
4. Braised Beef Shank, Tendon and Tripe in Superior Soya Sauce with Noodles (430kcal)
5. Created by Chef Ching-Biao, Huang - Braised Pork Belly with Preserved Vegetable Served with Steamed Rice (Golden Quality Award Chishang Organic Rice) (741kcal)
6. Pan Seared Halibut Fillet on Pesto Sauce Served with Mixed Vegetables and Mashed Potatos with Kalamata Olives(381kcal)
Old Aug 27, 2023, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by kaarija
Does anyone have any recommendations for my two upcoming flights? Both are within Asia. I do have a preference for Asian food but I am not a picky eater.

Flight 1:
1. Braised Pork Spare Ribs with Red Yeast Fermented Rice Sauce Served with Egg Fried Rice and Assorted Vegetables (666kcal)
2. Pan Fried Sea Bass with Garlic Flavoured Creamy Clam Sauce Served with Buttered Potatoes and Assorted Vegetables (400kcal)
3. Created by Chef Ching-Biao, Huang - Steamed Halibut with Chopped Chili Paste Served with Multi Grain Rice(Golden Quality Award Chishang Organic Rice) (679kcal)
4. Grilled Beef Fillet with Mushroom in Black Pepper Sauce Served with Assorted Vegetables and Gratin Red Skin Potatoes (506kcal)
5. Wok Fried Seafood with Fermented Rice in Chinese Tomato Sauce Served with Assorted Vegetables and Egg Ramen (366kcal)

Flight 2 (I am confused by the range of calories offered) :
1. Din Tai Fung Juicy Pork Dumpling(168kcal) Served with House Steamed Chicken Soup
2. Created by Chef Motokazu Nakamura-Grilled Barbeque Eel with Sansho Pepper (224kcal)
3. Beef Steak with Cepes and Shimeji Mushroom in Creamy Brown Sauce Served with Bamboo Shoot and Potatoes Au Gratin (486kcal)
4. Braised Beef Shank, Tendon and Tripe in Superior Soya Sauce with Noodles (430kcal)
5. Created by Chef Ching-Biao, Huang - Braised Pork Belly with Preserved Vegetable Served with Steamed Rice (Golden Quality Award Chishang Organic Rice) (741kcal)
6. Pan Seared Halibut Fillet on Pesto Sauce Served with Mixed Vegetables and Mashed Potatos with Kalamata Olives(381kcal)
Quite typical to see BR meals ranging greatly on calories. I havent flown intra-Asia on BR J for quite some time, but I dont think they offer substantial snacks like their longhaul routes.

As mentioned upthread, I really like their chopped-chili sea bass and I assume the halibut would be equally good.

As for the return, the braised pork belly was quite good. The eel rice was quite good as well.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 7:53 pm

Steamed Halibut for flight 1.

+1 on theBraised Pork Belly. Not a fan of DTF. The dumpling skin gets a bit tough in the air most likely due to reheating.

If doesn't work, ask to swap to a different meal. EVA staff are quite accommodating.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.