Wiki Posts
Search

Taoyuan Metro In-Town Check-In Experience

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2023, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question Taoyuan Metro In-Town Check-In Experience

I wonder if anyone had any experience with the in-town check in for the Taoyuan Metro: https://www.taoyuan-airport.com/ITCI...tml/index.html

My questions are:

1 - how reliable do we think this is?
2 - it is fully automated at Station A3 and no airline personnel is present. What happens if you are elite or in business class - would BR add the Priority Tag(s) before they put the bags on the plane?

Thanks.

Last edited by username; Feb 5, 2023 at 1:29 am Reason: Clarified Station A3
Old Feb 4, 2023, 11:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by username
I wonder if anyone had any experience with the in-town check in for the Taoyuan Metro: https://www.taoyuan-airport.com/ITCI...tml/index.html

My questions are:

2 - it is fully automated and no airline personnel is present. What happens if you are elite or in business class - would BR add the Priority Tag(s) before they put the bags on the plane?

Thanks.
Don't have answers to your questions but the video on the site you linked shows regular check-in desks (?) with airline specific personnel to the left of the automated baggage drop. If that's the case, you may be able to get your priority tags there.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BR787
Don't have answers to your questions but the video on the site you linked shows regular check-in desks (?) with airline specific personnel to the left of the automated baggage drop. If that's the case, you may be able to get your priority tags there.
Thanks. Station A3, which is not Taipei Main Station and I plan to use, it is fully automated and no airline employees. I will edit the original post.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 10:33 am

If I remember correctly, the Priority tags printed out via the machines. Note: last trip was just prior to Covid and used the service at Taipei Main Station.

If your trip is after mid April, I can report back after my trip.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I ended up not doing it. No need risking losing / delaying the bags and have my breads go stale

However, when I got to the airport, I asked the EGAS people standing at the check-in counter. I asked:

1 - do they make sure they go into the priority container - the guy said they might not put the orange Priority tag on but it is on the printed tag, as @jackal542 mentioned and the bag will be sorted accordingly at the airport. I looked at the tag printed at the TPE check-in counter, I cannot find any PRIO / VIP notation as the United Airlines printed tags have - maybe the computer knows and it actually looks up the database before it sorts the bags?

2 - would they check their own bags this way - the guy said yes

Of course, this also requires 3 hour advanced dropoff.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 5:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
My previous experience (even at Taipei Main) is that they redirect everyone to the automated setup (only if you encounter issues would they direct you to the counters, even for business and gold). The tags did print out with priority on it, just no orange tag.

Except that when I picked up my bags at baggage claim, someone attached an orange tag to the bag
username likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 1:25 pm

Programs: hahaha
How strict is the 3-hour advance drop-off opening? I have a 10:00 AM flight but would like to drop my bags off when they open at A1 Taipei Main Station at 06:00 AM since my earlier mode of transportation arrives early in the morning and I'd rather not wait until 07:00 AM. I would imagine that since it goes through x-ray screening on the spot, it might kind of justify the rule...

EDIT: lol another question. I just found in the fine print that in-town check-in is NOT ALLOWED for passengers flying to Canada. It's pretty unlikely someone here will know the answer, or maybe someone can kindly ask on my behalf, but I'm guessing my TPE-LAX-YVR itinerary is okay? Same ticket
Old Mar 14, 2023, 8:49 pm

Programs: AMEX
Originally Posted by username

My questions are:

2 - it is fully automated at Station A3 and no airline personnel is present. What happens if you are elite or in business class - would BR add the Priority Tag(s) before they put the bags on the plane?

Thanks.
To answer your questions,
1- The service is quite reliable so you can trust it.
2- I do remember there are airline agent present at the Metro check-in counters so they can take care of all the tags there as well.

Best luck
Old Mar 18, 2023, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Is it possible to drop the bags the night before?
Old Apr 4, 2023, 11:44 am

Anyone know why flights to Canada cannot drop off luggage at Taipau Main Station? What if I am flying to SEA prior to YVR?

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2023, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by 1262512
Anyone know why flights to Canada cannot drop off luggage at Taipau Main Station? What if I am flying to SEA prior to YVR?

Thanks!
I have the exact same question and will be able to answer it on Apr 29 (TPE-LAX-YVR) unless you beat me to it. Such a puzzling exclusion
Old Apr 5, 2023, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by asovse1
I have the exact same question and will be able to answer it on Apr 29 (TPE-LAX-YVR) unless you beat me to it. Such a puzzling exclusion
You are travelling before me! Let me know how it goes!
Old Apr 6, 2023, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1262512

Thanks!
It seems this has something to do with Canadian rules: "*In accordance with the aviation security rules in Canada, ITCI service for passengers flying to Canada has been suspended." at the bottom of this page: https://www.taoyuan-airport.com/ITCI.../notice02.html

The check-in at TY Metro is automated and handled by a ground service company, not an airline. It seems one or both of these disqualifies the downtown check in for Canadian flights.

There was a news report in November 22 2017 - apparently it happened really suddenly:

機捷18:00起暫緩受理加拿大航班行李拖運

據瞭解,這項新措施是加拿大政府單位今天派員前往民航局空運組及機捷A1站了解情況,因自助報到櫃檯機設置 在機場外,而且機捷台北A1站的代辦報到地勤是由桃機公司委託,而非直接由航空公司操作,讓加拿大當局無法 接受,才由機場公司發佈消息,在沒有改變這項措施前,所有飛往加拿大旅客只能在桃園機場辦理報 到手續。
1262512 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 10:56 pm

Programs: EVA, FLYING BLUE, UNITED
Since covid, no airline agent is present at the Metro Checkin counter/machine anymore. Unless you are 100% certain that your bags do not exceed its dimensions and weight limit, and it is dropped off 3 hours before the check in on the day of departure, I'd not risk it. In addition, if you ever use any award ticket issued by a partner airline of Eva or China Airline, you are not allowed to use the machines at the Metro stations.
1262512 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by allison168
In addition, if you ever use any award ticket issued by a partner airline of Eva or China Airline, you are not allowed to use the machines at the Metro stations.

what on earth!? i'm guessing you found out this rule the hard way? no english documentation on the matter through the official channels

1262512 guess i can't try it for you on your behalf, the rules seem to be pretty strict against my favour

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.