Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

EVA Air Cancelled TPE-CNX. What is EVA's responsibility?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, American Platinum

EVA air just cancelled their flight TPE-CNX and automatically rebooked us on TPE-BKK.. We are using United miles for J awards for a flight in December. Our destination is actually CNX. What is EVA's responsibility (or United's) at this point? Just getting me to Thailand seems insufficient. They should also be getting us all the way to CNX IMHO. Welcome your best advice on how to handle this and how to get us to CNX without additional out of pocket costs.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by cohighcountry1k
EVA air just cancelled their flight TPE-CNX and automatically rebooked us on TPE-BKK.. We are using United miles for J awards for a flight in December. Our destination is actually CNX. What is EVA's responsibility (or United's) at this point? Just getting me to Thailand seems insufficient. They should also be getting us all the way to CNX IMHO. Welcome your best advice on how to handle this and how to get us to CNX without additional out of pocket costs.
You are going to be out of luck. You can ask UA to refund your ticket, or you can pay for a domestic flight, BKK-CNX. Domestic flights booked in advance are not expensive in Thailand. 😊
Violin1990 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You need to talk to UA as this is an UA award. BR will not touch this ticket regardless that they cancelled the flight. Most likely you will have to accept the rebooking to BKK and buy your own ticket BKK-CNX (and as stated above dom. tickets in Thailand are cheap) or take a refund. About BKK please note that there are 2 airports (DMK and BKK), so pay attention if you end up booking a ticket to CNX on your own.
Violin1990 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:59 pm

I'm in the same situation except I'm flying Y. Called United and was told there was nothing they could do other than cancel and refund. I asked them to add a BKK-CNX segment on TG to my itinerary but they said they saw no availability. At first I found it hard to believe - I recall TG having about a dozen flights a day between BKK and CX. Looking further I saw that all those flights now are operated by ThaiSmile, TG's low cost subsidiary, and I assume seats on ThaiSmile are not bookable with UA miles. So I just booked a separate BKK-CNX flight on Thai VietJet for $51.
Violin1990 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by AXR64
I'm in the same situation except I'm flying Y. Called United and was told there was nothing they could do other than cancel and refund. I asked them to add a BKK-CNX segment on TG to my itinerary but they said they saw no availability. At first I found it hard to believe - I recall TG having about a dozen flights a day between BKK and CX. Looking further I saw that all those flights now are operated by ThaiSmile, TG's low cost subsidiary, and I assume seats on ThaiSmile are not bookable with UA miles. So I just booked a separate BKK-CNX flight on Thai VietJet for $51.
That is correct. BKK-CNX flights are operated by Thai Smile (WE). Thai Smile is not a Star Alliance full member and cannot be booked with UA miles. 😳
Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:58 am
Original Poster

I am really having trouble understanding what EVA is doing. Over the past couple of days, EVA rebooked one of us in Biz TPE-BKK and the other in Economy. Then a day later they moved both of us to Economy. This morning EVA just cancelled our booking! We are calling the United 1K desk to call EVA to get this reinstated. We had already booked positioning flights to YVR and from BKK to CNX. I'll post what happens next.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

We were able to get a United supervisor to call EVA Air. EVA Air now refuses to reinstate the tickets that we were confirmed on. Any suggestions on what we could do next? Seems pretty ridiculous that EVA just cancelled our flights that we were confirmed on and refuses to reinstate.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Unfortunately Eva doesn't really owe you anything.

You had a United award booking and they are the only folks that can help you.

Try to figure out an itinerary that would work for you on United metal and call them back to discuss the possibilities.
jmw likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by supine
Unfortunately Eva doesn't really owe you anything.

You had a United award booking and they are the only folks that can help you.

Try to figure out an itinerary that would work for you on United metal and call them back to discuss the possibilities.
It's just so unfortunate that EVA rebooked us all to Bangkok and then without explanation cancelled both our reservations.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
As stated above you need to talk to UA. BR will not do anything for you regardless how unfortunate the cancellation appears to be.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Not sure if this will help the OP, but BR is to resume CNX in Jan '23.
https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221024-brjan23cnx
Old Nov 29, 2022, 3:14 pm

I fly all the time from LAX to BKK, then either buy a separate ticket on an airline or train. If you have close to 23 kilos and 2 checked bags, you will be charged, particularly by low cost airlines like Air Asia. Last month, I flew Thai from BKK to CNX They allow 20 total kilos in checked luggage. For me, that meant an additional $40 added to the cost of the previously bought ticket.
im flying Eva February 14 Lax to CNX. Hopefully, they don’t cancel the segment between Taiwan and CNX. I’m mainly checking FlyerTalk on any Covid restrictions that may be remaining. The last time that I flew to Thailand, I had concerns with Covid restrictions imposed by both Eva and Taiwan and flew Singapore airlines instead to BKK. Singapore airlines had a time change of 4 hours on one of the segments and didn’t allow me to change the ticket to a more convenient time. What is Eva airlines policy concerning time changes if more than 3 hours?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.