Transit experience

Old Aug 7, 22, 5:47 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Tokyo
Programs: Jal Global Club
Posts: 13
Transit experience

Hi All,
I am due to fly EVA AIR Europe to Japan next week with a 1h30 transit in Taipei. From what I read in the other feeds, it seems that you are taken directly to the gate of your next flight when in transit and not allowed to stroll in the gate area, is it still accurate ?

Also, it seems the flight departing from Europe is often delayed for more than one hour making it quite possible that I may miss the connexion. The next connecting flight being the following day, did anyone have similar experience ? Is there a transit hotel in the airport or will we most likely be taken into a longer procedure heading to a quarantine hotel downtown for the night ?

Thank you very much for your insights !
Kashima is offline  
Old Aug 7, 22, 8:57 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LAX/NYC
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by Kashima View Post
Hi All,
I am due to fly EVA AIR Europe to Japan next week with a 1h30 transit in Taipei. From what I read in the other feeds, it seems that you are taken directly to the gate of your next flight when in transit and not allowed to stroll in the gate area, is it still accurate ?
Word is this is about to change and you can now roam free:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34492938-post560.html
RoninTech likes this.
BR787 is offline  
Old Aug 7, 22, 8:26 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Programs: MileagePlus
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by BR787 View Post
Word is this is about to change and you can now roam free:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34492938-post560.html
Thanks for posting the update here. If this holds true I will be very pleased. It seems that we are well on the return to transit normalcy at TPE. I won't be transiting TPE for a while, but I would be interested in reading other's experiences.
joban is offline  
Old Aug 7, 22, 11:45 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Tokyo
Programs: Jal Global Club
Posts: 13
Thank you very much for this great news BR787 !

I've just seen this in a Taiwan newspaper as well. That's good news.
Just hoping the first leg won't be delayed now
Kashima is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 1:40 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 1,011
Originally Posted by BR787 View Post
Word is this is about to change and you can now roam free:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34492938-post560.html
Awesome news. We fly YYC-YVR-TPE-BKK in a couple of weeks.
RoninTech is offline  
Old Aug 14, 22, 11:30 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 125
For a tentative trip in March 2023, with an 18-hour daytime layover in TPE:
  • Will there be decent lounges open, and can they be used for that long? I would be in Royal Laurel, so would have access to any open business-grade Eva lounges and those of any other Star Alliance partner. And I have Amex Plat with Plaza Premium and Priority Pass access.
  • Are foreign nationals likely to be able to leave the airport and undertake sightseeing by that time?
BernardBlack is offline  
Old Aug 15, 22, 2:51 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LAX/NYC
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by BernardBlack View Post
For a tentative trip in March 2023, with an 18-hour daytime layover in TPE:
  • Will there be decent lounges open, and can they be used for that long? I would be in Royal Laurel, so would have access to any open business-grade Eva lounges and those of any other Star Alliance partner. And I have Amex Plat with Plaza Premium and Priority Pass access.
  • Are foreign nationals likely to be able to leave the airport and undertake sightseeing by that time?
With things changing every month, nobody is going to be able to definitively answer these question for you this far out.
ithinkurdumb and commaspace like this.
BR787 is offline  
Old Aug 31, 22, 8:40 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 1,011
Showers are available again in the TPE J lounge which helped make for a good, smooth transit experience for us last weekend.
RoninTech is offline  
Old Sep 4, 22, 5:56 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LAX/NYC
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by RoninTech View Post
Showers are available again in the TPE J lounge which helped make for a good, smooth transit experience for us last weekend.
Do you know if the lounge division back to

Garden: Diamond Card
Infinity: Business Class
Star: Gold Card / Star Alliance Gold

or is it still split by transit vs originating?
BR787 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 22, 8:52 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 1,011
Originally Posted by BR787 View Post
Do you know if the lounge division back to

Garden: Diamond Card
Infinity: Business Class
Star: Gold Card / Star Alliance Gold

or is it still split by transit vs originating?
Last weekend (August 28th) transit passengers were given passes to the Infinity lounge. The others were open but we didn't try to access them as we were under the impression they wanted to keep us separate. We were free to move around the airport.
Buster CT1K likes this.
RoninTech is offline  
Old Sep 16, 22, 4:32 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: FB Plat; AS 75K; UA Gold MM; AA Exec Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Amb; Hilton Gold; National EE
Posts: 5,721
Originally Posted by RoninTech View Post
Last weekend (August 28th) transit passengers were given passes to the Infinity lounge. The others were open but we didn't try to access them as we were under the impression they wanted to keep us separate. We were free to move around the airport.
How was food and beverage in the Infinity Lounge? Were showers available?
Buster CT1K is offline  
Old Sep 17, 22, 11:26 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: TPE, SFO, PAE
Posts: 499
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
How was food and beverage in the Infinity Lounge? Were showers available?
Food was still in Covid standard when I last visit late August. No shower in TPE lounges.
Showers are open now as mentioned upthreas. BR also removed the shower not operating notice from the lounges page of their website.
ithinkurdumb is online now  
Old Sep 19, 22, 2:34 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 1,011
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
How was food and beverage in the Infinity Lounge? Were showers available?
Yes, we were at TPE on August 28th and showers were available in the Infinity Lounge. Just what the doctor ordered after a long flight. Wife ad I both partook. Front desk lady even asked if we wanted to shower together. The wife and I....
ithinkurdumb likes this.
RoninTech is offline  
Old Sep 20, 22, 2:31 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: VIE/PRG
Programs: FB Platinum, A3 Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
Posts: 1,330
CI website and airport website states there is no need for test for transit passenger if the final destination does not require it. Can anybody say it is correct from experience? Flying tomorrow VIE-TPE-LAX
747jetter is offline  
Old Sep 20, 22, 3:12 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: TPE, SFO, PAE
Posts: 499
Originally Posted by 747jetter View Post
CI website and airport website states there is no need for test for transit passenger if the final destination does not require it. Can anybody say it is correct from experience? Flying tomorrow VIE-TPE-LAX
No PCR required for TW nationals and transit passengers since July 14. BR website also doesn't list PCR as a requirement for transit passengers: https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/custome...countryCode=TW
747jetter likes this.
ithinkurdumb is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread