What to do with expiring miles?

Old Jun 30, 21, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

What to do with expiring miles?

Hi, we were trying to use our mileage during the past six months but Taiwan ended up closing its country for transit passengers twice right before our trips (Jan and May), we ended up buying tickets on OZ.
Now our miles are expiring, I do not think EVA will extended our expiring miles (starting in October).
We have never used EVA miles other than upgrade our EVA tickets from Economy Plus to Business. We have never used our mileage with other airlines, we have never explored that and don't really know how to do it.

About 60,000 miles will expire in October and we wonder what or how we should make use of them before they expire?
Can we use it for domestic United Flights (we are in California)?
Or perhaps get an award ticket round trip to BKK in December (we have more than 150,000 miles), If we booked and issued a ticket before October, can we use our mileage now and fly later?
Any other suggestions welcome.
Thanks,

Pop
Old Jul 1, 21, 10:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mikemontri View Post
Hi, we were trying to use our mileage during the past six months but Taiwan ended up closing its country for transit passengers twice right before our trips (Jan and May), we ended up buying tickets on OZ.
Now our miles are expiring, I do not think EVA will extended our expiring miles (starting in October).
We have never used EVA miles other than upgrade our EVA tickets from Economy Plus to Business. We have never used our mileage with other airlines, we have never explored that and don't really know how to do it.
No one knows what will happen with Taiwan over the next few months, but EVA extend mileage validity by one year in the latter half of last year so you could wait and see if EVA extends them again.

Can we use it for domestic United Flights (we are in California)?
Yes, you can use them to book United Flights from EVA's website, excluding business class on transcontinental flights which United blocks redemption from Star Alliance partners.

If we booked and issued a ticket before October, can we use our mileage now and fly later?
Yes.

Last edited by BR787; Jul 1, 21 at 10:52 am
Old Jul 2, 21, 3:25 am

All miles expiring by May 2022 have now been extended to June 2022. Member status and upgrade certificates have been extended as well.

https://www.evaair.com/en-tw/about-e...s-members.html
BR787 and Dave510 like this.
Old Jul 3, 21, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys.
Old Oct 21, 21, 8:29 am
formerly dav662

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I asked them too and they said it has been extended but Taiwan government is not allowing them to fly. They are ready but cannot. They have cancelled the YYZ flights but YVR is still operating but they do not seem to know what is going to happen next year.
I hope they start again soon.
Old Jan 26, 22, 6:07 pm

Did anyone read up on the latest news on extension?
Old Jan 28, 22, 6:34 am
formerly dav662

Originally Posted by sof_lance View Post
You can actually book on EVA from March. Book it and then if they cancel they would have to refund the points to you.
sof_lance likes this.
Old Jan 29, 22, 9:41 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by sof_lance View Post
I have seen no news whatsoever, nor any other info/rumor/speculation -- none. But flights on BR are now bookable, including transit through TPE. I have flights on BR in April booked from Thailand to the USA transiting through TPE. I have no idea how likely it is that it will be possible to actually take that flight, but it would appear that Eva Air seems to think there's some chance of it happening. Would love to know if there is any info (official or otherwise) about Taiwan's plans to begin relaxing entry/transit restrictions, if anyone has a source.
sof_lance likes this.
Old Jan 31, 22, 5:19 am
formerly dav662

Originally Posted by nwflyboy View Post
I have seen no news whatsoever, nor any other info/rumor/speculation -- none. But flights on BR are now bookable, including transit through TPE. I have flights on BR in April booked from Thailand to the USA transiting through TPE. I have no idea how likely it is that it will be possible to actually take that flight, but it would appear that Eva Air seems to think there's some chance of it happening. Would love to know if there is any info (official or otherwise) about Taiwan's plans to begin relaxing entry/transit restrictions, if anyone has a source.
yes I am going to book too. Also the points from YYZ to TPE to UG from PE to business class is around 40,000 on BR and 70k on AC. I have BR FFP. Another reason why I fly on BR.

Search this Thread