Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

No Transit Passengers, No Entry for Non-ARC Foreigners 19 MAY -24 June 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As others have mentioned on Effective 00:00 19 Mar - No Foreign Passport Holders Allowed into Taiwan (ARC OK), no transit passengers effective 00:00 24 MAR through 24 JUN 23:59. Restriction continues indefinitely for Mainland China flights (MFM/HKG are OK).

There was no detail on nationality so I suppose this applies to everyone, even Republic of China (Taiwan) passport holders. It is also not clear whether this is boarding time or arrival/transit time.

https://www.evaair.com/en-tw/about-e...nsit-news.html

Last edited by username; Jun 23, 2020 at 11:31 pm Reason: Allowed again effective 25 JUN 00:00.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:13 pm

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Anyone know if this policy will/may end after April 7? Without transit via TPE as an option, it's really hard to find a flight out of China around mid-April.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davewang202
Anyone know if this policy will/may end after April 7? Without transit via TPE as an option, it's really hard to find a flight out of China around mid-April.
I don't think anyone knows. The only one who has set deadlines for Covid-19 so far is Donald Trump.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I certainly wouldn't count on it. Many of the recent policy changes have come with well under 48 hours advance notice, and with Taiwan diplomatic channels unprepared for them.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by gengar
I certainly wouldn't count on it. Many of the recent policy changes have come with well under 48 hours advance notice, and with Taiwan diplomatic channels unprepared for them.
Isn't the way it is technically set that it expires Apr 7? So unless they do something to extend it, it isn't valid after Apr 7
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:52 am

I think it is pretty hard to fly anywhere in Asia without TPE, given no SIN/HKG transit (which doesn't seem to have an expiration date)
Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Isn't the way it is technically set that it expires Apr 7? So unless they do something to extend it, it isn't valid after Apr 7
As I stated, the advance notice on this policy and many others concerning travel bans/quarantines was less than 48 hours. They may very well extend the policy in a similar fashion.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by gengar
As I stated, the advance notice on this policy and many others concerning travel bans/quarantines was less than 48 hours. They may very well extend the policy in a similar fashion.
Travel bans and quarantines could come in short notice. Lifting such will take weeks, in my opinion. This is pandemic. No country is safe at this moment. I doubt HKG/SIN/TPE would be open to transit passengers in two weeks.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by sfo3388
Travel bans and quarantines could come in short notice. Lifting such will take weeks, in my opinion. This is pandemic. No country is safe at this moment. I doubt HKG/SIN/TPE would be open to transit passengers in two weeks.
I could see certain quarantines/bans in certain areas being lifted early, depending on the situation and circumstances. The point is that it's unpredictable.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Thanks folks. I realize that I was grasping a bit at straws, and I realize that these rules/regulations are coming hard and fast not because of a basis in statistics or a policy decision, but just based on the (often real) fear of the unknown, and the facts and statistics are changing day-by-day all over the world. What I think might be helpful is if someone has been watching enough news from Taiwan to get a mindset of the policy makers that would specifically impact this rule/policy. E.g. If the Minister of health says that they're implementing new testing/screening regiment for transit passengers along with a testing surcharge, and they're watching NRT to see what the risk factors are for allowing transit PAX to return. I think snippets of such news would be very useful if anyone has seen such news from Taiwan.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Yes but I feel it's not realistic to lift the ban on flying by the 7th of April. The situation is not under control in many countries so hopefully Eva will make up their mind and cancel or suspend the flights for at least 2 months or more.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks folks. I realize that I was grasping a bit at straws, and I realize that these rules/regulations are coming hard and fast not because of a basis in statistics or a policy decision, but just based on the (often real) fear of the unknown, and the facts and statistics are changing day-by-day all over the world. What I think might be helpful is if someone has been watching enough news from Taiwan to get a mindset of the policy makers that would specifically impact this rule/policy. E.g. If the Minister of health says that they're implementing new testing/screening regiment for transit passengers along with a testing surcharge, and they're watching NRT to see what the risk factors are for allowing transit PAX to return. I think snippets of such news would be very useful if anyone has seen such news from Taiwan.
if you understand Mandarin, you can watch the news conference - every day at 2 PM Taipei Time, sometimes delayed if the new cases are large. It is live-streamed and recorded by multiple media outlets. On Youtube, look for 疫情指揮中心 最新防疫說明

I personally do not see them relaxing the rules any time soon until the numbers come down: https://infogram.com/--1h8j4xgy7x1d6mv
ProleOnParole likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by username
if you understand Mandarin, you can watch the news conference - every day at 2 PM Taipei Time, sometimes delayed if the new cases are large. It is live-streamed and recorded by multiple media outlets. On Youtube, look for 疫情指揮中心 最新防疫說明

I personally do not see them relaxing the rules any time soon until the numbers come down: https://infogram.com/--1h8j4xgy7x1d6mv
I hope that they will extend to a reasonable time frame so we all can either cancel the flights or make alternate arrangements.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:37 am

Compared to US and Europe, people in Taiwan are very concerned about Covid-19. It's absurd watching some (most) news as if the world is coming to the end, even though situation in other countries and continents are much more dire. So the answer is no, do not count on Taiwan relaxing the restriction before May.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:40 am

It seems Taiwan is mostly testing people arriving from abroad, which means new cases are mostly discovered among recent arrivals from abroad, and that in turn gives the impression that shutting down the border is more beneficial than it might be in reality. But given the circumstances, I guess nobody can blame them for playing it safe.

Taiwan's largest trade show, Computex, normally taking place in June, was rescheduled to the end of September last week. I think this gives some insight into how long the restrictions were expected to last at the time but the situation is changing dynamically of course.

Last edited by ProleOnParole; Mar 31, 2020 at 11:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.