Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

No Transit Passengers, No Entry for Non-ARC Foreigners 19 MAY -24 June 2021

No Transit Passengers, No Entry for Non-ARC Foreigners 19 MAY -24 June 2021

Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If you look at this https://infogram.com/--1h8j4xgy7x1d6mv - the pinkish color represents the imported cases and the greenish color represents the local transmission. It went up drastically the last 2 weeks due to people returning from Europe, Middle East and the US.

The general view of the Taiwanese right now is that Taiwan is safer than anywhere else in the world. They also have national health care. So, some people who live overseas go back and bring the virus with them.

They are preparing for some local transmissions in the next few weeks - how bad it is depends on how careful people are and how they follow the rules. Knowing how the Taiwanese follows the laws, I am worried.

The other interesting thing is the age distribution in the 2nd chart. Most of the cases are people 20-29 - a lot of them went travelling in March and a lot of them are returning overseas students.

The government is pretty stubborn about not doing wide testing - even at the airport. The logic is they don't want to produce false negatives and have people be complacent. I would guess is other reason is probably capacity - same as their changing position with masks. When they have a confirmed case, they track down all the contacts and test them. That can be a lot of people.

https://sites.google.com/cdc.gov.tw/2019ncov/taiwan shows they have tested about 33,000 cases so far.

Another thing is they keep people in isolation for a long time - until they are sure. Only 39 of the 322 confirmed cases have been released. Most are supposedly mild but they keep them isolated until they are sure.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by username
The government is pretty stubborn about not doing wide testing - even at the airport. The logic is they don't want to produce false negatives and have people be complacent. I would guess is other reason is probably capacity - same as their changing position with masks. When they have a confirmed case, they track down all the contacts and test them. That can be a lot of people.
But Vietnam tests at the airport and then quarantines for 14 days. Everybody. Why don't they do that?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos
But Vietnam tests at the airport and then quarantines for 14 days. Everybody. Why don't they do that?
Their logic is they don't want to produce false negatives and have people be complacent (during their quarantine at home - many of the earlier cases were from family members living together).
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:38 am

Their logic is they don't want to produce false negatives and have people be complacent (during their quarantine at home - many of the earlier cases were from family members living together).
Well, Singapore isn't allowing quarantine at home.
But it's a moot point. I cannot change the way Taiwan does it.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 1:15 am

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
if you understand Mandarin, you can watch the news conference - every day at 2 PM Taipei Time, sometimes delayed if the new cases are large. It is live-streamed and recorded by multiple media outlets. On Youtube, look for 疫情指揮中心 最新防疫說明

I personally do not see them relaxing the rules any time soon until the numbers come down: https://infogram.com/--1h8j4xgy7x1d6mv
IIRC, the standard for getting off of the "infected with SARS" list was 2 weeks of zero native transmission cases, Not sure if China proper would qualify as "SARS-COV-2 free" by April 8 under such standard, but it seems to make sense to allow PAX coming from SARS-COV-2 free regions to transit, while disallowing PAX from SARS-COV-2 infected regions to transit. Not trying to harass you here, since you obviously don't know what the specific policy makers are thinking, but I was wondering if anyone seen such standards or such logic being discussed?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by davewang202
... but it seems to make sense to allow PAX coming from SARS-COV-2 free regions to transit, while disallowing PAX from SARS-COV-2 infected regions to transit. ...
The ridiculousness of China being an 'uninfected region' aside, Taiwan policy doesn't currently make a distinction between regions in any other area of pandemic response (blanket ban on entry for foreign nationals, blanket quarantine for everyone entering Taiwan, etc.) - doesn't seem likely that they'd start picking and choosing with respect to just transit passengers, especially not anytime soon.
ProleOnParole likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Originally Posted by gengar
The ridiculousness of China being an 'uninfected region' aside, Taiwan policy doesn't currently make a distinction between regions in any other area of pandemic response (blanket ban on entry for foreign nationals, blanket quarantine for everyone entering Taiwan, etc.) - doesn't seem likely that they'd start picking and choosing with respect to just transit passengers, especially not anytime soon.
EVA has updated the policy and extended to April 30.

In compliance with the latest instruction by Taiwan’s Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC), EVA Air will suspend all international transit services via Taiwan starting from the midnight of March 24 until 24:00, April 30. (Taipei Time).
For the latest information of EVA's flight schedule and related rules of ticket change or refund, passengers can visit EVA’s Coronavirus disease 2019 website at https://www.evaair.com/en-global/emer/2019-nCoV.html.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

...I personally do not see them relaxing the rules any time soon until the numbers come down: https://infogram.com/--1h8j4xgy7x1d6mv
Originally Posted by davewang202
...Not trying to harass you here, since you obviously don't know what the specific policy makers are thinking, but I was wondering if anyone seen such standards or such logic being discussed?
No, I don't know what they are thinking - they are only transparent to a certain extent. They are very cautious so that is what I was expecting.

Interesting report on the PBS Newshour tonight: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/ta...ainst-covid-19

Last edited by username; Apr 2, 2020 at 5:12 pm Reason: Replaced bad link / Added new Youtube Link
Old Apr 11, 2020, 7:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Do we think transits will be allowed from May 1?

ps: I am trying to reunite with my wife in HAN and it's proving beyond difficult. I am in BKK and happy to meet anywhere in the world but the current situation only allows us to go UK or Mexico. Problem is getting out of HAN. Ideally I would get her on BR HAN-TPE-BKK-LHR and I join on BKK-LHR segment... wishful thinking?
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nufnuf77

ps: I am trying to reunite with my wife in HAN and it's proving beyond difficult. I am in BKK and happy to meet anywhere in the world but the current situation only allows us to go UK or Mexico. Problem is getting out of HAN. Ideally I would get her on BR HAN-TPE-BKK-LHR and I join on BKK-LHR segment... wishful thinking?
No one knows. If I had to guess, I think the best case is limited lifting by route/country/direction. I would also think that if Vietnam is lifted, SGN will be first.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:21 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Truly sorry to hear of your circumstance, but I find it very hard to believe the TPE transit ban could be lifted on May 1.

If your main interest is to reunite as soon as possible, make sure you are checking all relevant embassies in your potential destination countries for government-arranged flights. For example, the UK and Ireland have arranged one flight departing HAN on 14 April (but just after midnight, so under 36 hours from now) which is available to all nationalities - not just UK/Ireland. See, e.g., https://vn.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...9-information/

The Embassies of the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland in Vietnam have secured an additional commercial flight to LONDON with Vietnam Airlines which is now open to citizens of all nationalities interested in departing from Vietnam and Cambodia. Registration must be made as soon as possible. This is a commercial flight by Vietnam Airlines scheduled to depart from HANOI on Tuesday, April 14, at 2:20 AM. U.S. citizens who wish to take advantage of this opportunity should email [email protected] for further instructions.
Obviously you don't want to get stuck in an even worse situation than currently (esp. in a country in which one or neither of you have nationality or lack resources including home government resources), but I can only imagine there will be fewer and fewer options to get you to any international destination in the near term.

Last edited by gengar; Apr 12, 2020 at 1:27 am
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by gengar
Truly sorry to hear of your circumstance, but I find it very hard to believe the TPE transit ban could be lifted on May 1.

If your main interest is to reunite as soon as possible, make sure you are checking all relevant embassies in your potential destination countries for government-arranged flights. For example, the UK and Ireland have arranged one flight departing HAN on 14 April (but just after midnight, so under 36 hours from now) which is available to all nationalities - not just UK/Ireland. See, e.g., https://vn.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...9-information/

Obviously you don't want to get stuck in an even worse situation than currently (esp. in a country in which one or neither of you have nationality or lack resources including home government resources), but I can only imagine there will be fewer and fewer options to get you to any international destination in the near term.
Yup, I am currently stuck in Thailand. We both think its better to reunite somewhere safe in asia and stay on some beach hut until it blows over for a few months. Taiwan is actually our preferred destination of all places because heathcare is excellent and people are risk averse. I have seen the VN flight to london but we dont fancy UK just yes unless as a last resort tbh in May if no asian country reopens...
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:15 am

Currently the only "safe" places that I can think of are:

Antarctica
Macau
Taiwan

Taiwan pretty much isn't letting anyone in, and Macau is nearly as bad. Without the right passports, you aren't getting into either one in the near future. Antarctica is wholly different problem but arguably easier to go to right now. They have a distinct lack of beach huts, but I hear the penguins are friendly.
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by baroqen
Taiwan pretty much isn't letting anyone in...
Taiwan seems pretty safe right now, but they've already had many cases of local transmission. All it takes is one. Most Taiwanese aren't taking it very seriously - just look at everyone traveling and out and about over the Tomb-Sweeping Festival holiday (hopefully we will not see an infection spike this week), or how long it took government to limit 'moderate'-size gatherings, etc. Taiwan media seems more interested in publicly shaming individuals not wearing masks on the MRT than the fact that nightclubs and hostess bars were still allowed to be open as recently as last week.

For many reasons, I personally hope Taiwan remains safe, and their policies have played a factor in keeping infections to a minimum. But Taiwan has also been very, very lucky.

Last edited by gengar; Apr 14, 2020 at 1:27 pm
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

They just announced the ban continues but did not give an expiration date....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.