Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

No Transit Passengers, No Entry for Non-ARC Foreigners 19 MAY -24 June 2021

No Transit Passengers, No Entry for Non-ARC Foreigners 19 MAY -24 June 2021

Old Jun 17, 22, 3:04 pm

Enforcing a PCR test as a transit passenger is such a dumb move, especially when most of the world don't require any testing whatsover to ENTER the country. Unless BR miraculously offers some amazing deals for its Y+ or Business fares, I'll pass.
Old Jun 18, 22, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by traxtonus View Post
Enforcing a PCR test as a transit passenger is such a dumb move, especially when most of the world don't require any testing whatsover to ENTER the country. Unless BR miraculously offers some amazing deals for its Y+ or Business fares, I'll pass.
Yes, please pass.

That is a government rule, not BR rule. They test inbound passengers so it makes sense that transit passengers are included in this. Frankly, I think BR is better off allocating most of the inventory for TW O&D passengers in the near term as TW people start to travel and capacity is still limited.
RoninTech and littledoggie747 like this.
Old Jun 18, 22, 10:25 am

I won't be travelling until Covid Test is removed
Chang11 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 22, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Flying BKK-SFO, I can transfer in ICN or NRT without needing a RT-PCR test, and I can access the regular airline lounges. So I think transfers through TPE will be limited. 😊
Old Jun 18, 22, 11:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO View Post
Flying BKK-SFO, I can transfer in ICN or NRT without needing a RT-PCR test, and I can access the regular airline lounges. So I think transfers through TPE will be limited. 😊
That's what I'm hoping for. The quieter the better.
username likes this.
Old Jun 18, 22, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by username View Post
Yes, please pass.

That is a government rule, not BR rule. They test inbound passengers so it makes sense that transit passengers are included in this. Frankly, I think BR is better off allocating most of the inventory for TW O&D passengers in the near term as TW people start to travel and capacity is still limited.
Not placing blame on BR but on the archaic restrictions that the Taiwanese government are still holding on to, which unfortunately is running BR to the ground much like how the HKG government is ruining Cathay.

Also, having to obtain a PCR test 48hours before departure just to transit onwards to another destination adds an additional element of risk (of it being positive hence canceling all your travel plans) + cost + time wasted, which is unnecessary given the many available and equivalent options for North America to Asia bound passengers to transit through hassle-free stops like NRT/HND/ICN/SIN.

So yes, I'll happily pass for now!
Old Jun 18, 22, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by traxtonus View Post
Not placing blame on BR but on the archaic restrictions that the Taiwanese government are still holding on to, which unfortunately is running BR to the ground much like how the HKG government is ruining Cathay...........
I agree with your viewpoint except that BR is making huge profit due to cargo. Unfortunately, the profitability of BR and CI alleviated political pressure to open up Taiwan.
ProleOnParole likes this.
Old Jun 19, 22, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO View Post
Plus, TYO has better priority pass lounges. (NH lounge)
Old Jun 20, 22, 9:27 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Another article about transit passengers:

Most Taiwan transit travelers flying between North America and Southeast Asia

"On June 15, only four travelers made use of the new transit rules, while the following day, only one passenger changed flights at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, CNA reported. The number surged to 194 on Friday (June 17), with 87 listed for Saturday.The vast majority of transit passengers at Taoyuan were traveling between the United States or Canada and Australia, the Philippines, Singapore, Indonesia, and Hong Kong, according to the Taiwan International Airport Corporation (TIAC)."

Among a couple other items the article points out that a PCR test is required for transit. Hopefully the transit system runs smoothly, so the Taiwanese government feels comfortable dropping the testing nuisance.

Last edited by joban; Jun 20, 22 at 9:32 pm
Old Jun 20, 22, 11:54 pm

I know this is the million dollar question...I'm helping a friend book a trip from SE Asia back to LAX and I'm seeing some J BR flights next May transiting in TPE. However, I don't want them to deal with the possibility of the PCR testing messing up everything, I feel like this should be lifted by next May...but again it's Taiwan, so who knows. Would you take the risk or should I just do SQ and transit thru SIN for less headache?
Old Jun 21, 22, 12:02 am

Programs: GA/SQ/CX
Originally Posted by joban View Post
The vast majority of transit passengers at Taoyuan were traveling between the United States or Canada and Australia, the Philippines, Singapore, Indonesia, and Hong Kong, according to the Taiwan International Airport Corporation (TIAC)."

Among a couple other items the article points out that a PCR test is required for transit. Hopefully the transit system runs smoothly, so the Taiwanese government feels comfortable dropping the testing nuisance.
The thing is, except Hong Kong, travel between these country pairs doesnt require testing anymore which makes TPE transit not a viable option for many. At least the Taiwanese airlines are doing well with cargo.
Old Jun 21, 22, 7:08 am

Programs: AY (Emerald), OZ (*G), Accor All (Platinum)
advice on transit experience heading to the US

Hey All,

Has anyone travelled to the US recently via TPE? I'm looking at a BR SIN-TPE-LAX itinerary with only 95 mins connection time in TPE for a mileage run. I am wondering how tight it might be and what the security checks are?

For additional info, I'm not a US resident (so no form of pre clearance) with a US VISA but this would be my first visit ever.
Old Jun 22, 22, 9:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, AS MVP Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TravelExperience View Post
Hey All,

Has anyone travelled to the US recently via TPE? I'm looking at a BR SIN-TPE-LAX itinerary with only 95 mins connection time in TPE for a mileage run. I am wondering how tight it might be and what the security checks are?

For additional info, I'm not a US resident (so no form of pre clearance) with a US VISA but this would be my first visit ever.
In TPE there is no border control, only a quick security check for transit passengers. There is a separate line for status and J ticket holders in the security line. I was easily through in five minutes every time before the pandemic.

Last edited by BR787; Jun 22, 22 at 10:07 pm
Old Jun 22, 22, 11:37 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
will be transiting tpe in october through to SIN and frankly donít mind the pcr requirement. Itís not a BR requirement, its a gov requirement. I dont blame them for the need.

I could do a PCR test and fly J on BR for 1.5k cheaper than SQ, and ive always had great service on BR, so no issues. Frankly, i think a lot of people are making a large fuss about a rather small requirement.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 5:08 am

Programs: AY (Emerald), OZ (*G), Accor All (Platinum)
Originally Posted by BR787 View Post
In TPE there is no border control, only a quick security check for transit passengers. There is a separate line for status and J ticket holders in the security line. I was easily through in five minutes every time before the pandemic.

Thank you! That is great to know!

Another question, if the PCR test is purely a gov requirement, would that mean that 5th freedom BR flights would NOT need -ve PCR Test results to board?

Search this Thread