Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Effective 00:00 19 Mar - No Foreign Passport Holders Allowed into Taiwan (ARC OK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effective 00:00 19 Mar - No Foreign Passport Holders Allowed into Taiwan (ARC OK)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:59 pm

Programs: Altitude E75K , Gold Marriott
Originally Posted by username
So BR let them board DPS-TPE but not TPS-YVR? How is he going to Japan if he can't connect in TPE?
My bad, turns out that he stayed in Bali and didn't get on that flight to TPE. Waiting to connect via Tokyo to YVR now. Mods can delete my post. Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by derpydogs
It's going to be like the Terminal. Indonesia won't let them back, Taiwan won't let them in.
I wonder if Indonesia would've relented.
Apparently it has happened to 3 people from NZ. The airline says "my bad" but it is too late.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Apparently it has happened to 3 people from NZ. The airline says "my bad" but it is too late.
The airline (NZ) got fined but apparently only T$60k.
Spoiler

Compared to what it cost some people in the past to bring prohibited meat products (T$200k), hide travel history (T$300k), or skip quarantine (T$1M), that's... not a lot.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
The airline (NZ) got fined but apparently only T$60k.
Spoiler

Compared to what it cost some people in the past to bring prohibited meat products (T$200k), hide travel history (T$300k), or skip quarantine (T$1M), that's... not a lot.
I can't read it (not a member). Mind filling me in whether those 3 are still stuck in the airport?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I can't read it (not a member). Mind filling me in whether those 3 are still stuck in the airport?
I read it via Google Cache. Seems it also works if you block JavaScript or view HTML source.

The article says they all left. UDN has more details:
國境單位人員表示,2名日本人上午8時30分已搭乘本國籍航空公司班機飛返大阪,而英國人原先預計搭乘下午 的中國大陸班機前往上海,但因航空公司拒載,英國男子只好改搭上午9時50分本國籍航空公司班 機前往上海。
The 2 Japanese left with a Taiwanese carrier for Osaka at 08:30, while the British guy was supposed to take an afternoon flight to Shanghai with a Chinese carrier but was refused carriage, so he ended up taking the 09:50 flight with a Taiwanese carrier as well (airline names are not given).

Edit: From the departure times I'm guessing it was BR132 to KIX and BR712 to PVG so it's not off-topic for this forum.

Last edited by ProleOnParole; Mar 29, 2020 at 7:14 pm
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
I read it via Google Cache. Seems it also works if you block JavaScript or view HTML source.

The article says they all left. UDN has more details: The 2 Japanese left with a Taiwanese carrier for Osaka at 08:30, while the British guy was supposed to take an afternoon flight to Shanghai with a Chinese carrier but was refused carriage, so he ended up taking the 09:50 flight with a Taiwanese carrier as well (airline names are not given).

Edit: From the departure times I'm guessing it was BR132 to KIX and BR712 to PVG so it's not off-topic for this forum.
Glad they got out
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Just to note that Taiwan is further tightening policies regarding arriving passengers, including quarantine policy (see, e.g., [1]) and potentially requiring all be tested for COVID-19 (see, e.g., [2]), so it seems incredibly unlikely that the restrictions on transit passengers or foreign passport holders will be lifted anytime soon. (External links to CNA website articles.)
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50k
Originally Posted by gengar
Just to note that Taiwan is further tightening policies regarding arriving passengers, including quarantine policy (see, e.g., [1]) and potentially requiring all be tested for COVID-19 (see, e.g., [2]), so it seems incredibly unlikely that the restrictions on transit passengers or foreign passport holders will be lifted anytime soon. (External links to CNA website articles.)
Source at Air Canada says they've been briefed that measures will be in place until June 1.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

TW news is reporting AC YVR-TPE will not resume until late October: https://udn.com/news/story/7266/4496452

TPE office says they are talking to HDQ.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by username
TW news is reporting AC YVR-TPE will not resume until late October: https://udn.com/news/story/7266/4496452

TPE office says they are talking to HDQ.
Damn, things change fast! I've also noticed that EVA has taken this as an opportunity to boost up the prices on that route for Economy class. Now they want 42K NTD for TPE -> YVR return when it should be closer to 30-35K in the summer.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 6:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Source at Air Canada says they've been briefed that measures will be in place until June 1.
thats actually super useful to know
Old Apr 16, 2020, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
thats actually super useful to know
But also now outdated. It may have been that they were briefed as June 1 being the anticipated date for resumption of regular operations, but they decided to extend the suspension until Oct 24 after forecasting demand (ie, how many people were attempting to book tickets and for when)
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:32 am

They extended the visa automatically again for foreigners already in the country, so good thing they're on top of that.
ProleOnParole likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 4:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
But also now outdated. It may have been that they were briefed as June 1 being the anticipated date for resumption of regular operations, but they decided to extend the suspension until Oct 24 after forecasting demand (ie, how many people were attempting to book tickets and for when)
But for me the useful bit is the operationality of TPE not AC per se

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.