Search

BR122 TPE-OKA Cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
Unhappy BR122 TPE-OKA Cancelled

Hello!
We, family of 3, are supposed to fly SFO-TPE-OKA in about 6 days. I received an email from BR that TPE-OKA segment
is cancelled. I checked on line and seems all their Okinawa flights is cancelled for that week. They haven't rebooked us,
reservation shows no TPE-OKA segment. I have been trying to call their US numbers and it is always busy, can't even go
pass the initial message that they are experiencing high call volume and can't take call now. I will keep trying but doubt
that I will get through. Cancelling this trip is not an option for us, we have a lot invested already.

Appreciate suggestions from experienced travelers, what is a viable option from the following list, :

1. Can I just show up at SFO and let them figure out how are they going to route us to OKA, ANA has flights, there are flights with LCCs as well.
2. Its possible to buy reasonably priced TPE-OKA flight on LCC like AirAsia or Peach, I am okay to do that on my own but would that cause problem
with our return trip?
3.I can buy SFO-OKA flight on other carrier right now, but If I cancel EVA flights, can I expect full refund since they have cancel the TPE-OKA segment
and hasn't given us any alternate flight. Flight credit won't work for us, we don't plan to fly this route again.

Thanks for reading and for your suggestions.

Stay safe!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:53 pm

Looks like China Airline is still flying that route as CI120 (0815-1045) which is very likely what you’ll be rebooked to. If you prefer to cancel you’ll also be entitled to a full refund with no penalty. I’d suggest wait till Monday and call either the 1800 number, or their SFO direct number to get a confirmation. If you have another routing in mind (ie via HND), you can ask them as well and see if they can accommodate. The bottom line is you should not, and are not expected to pay out of pocket to fly tpe-oka as it’s the airline’s responsibility to fly you to your destination within a reasonable time per the ticket you purchased.

P.S. Yes BR will rebook you to their rival if they see fit. Had the pleasure of flying a CI 747 to HKG when my inbound flight from YYZ was late.
Violin1990 and MZahir like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick response, this is encouraging. I will try to reach them tomorrow.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:59 am
Original Poster

I have a follow up question and update. With long wait and repeated try I was able to talked to Eva but
since my ticket was purchase from Expedia, they can't help me, I need to call Expedia They did tell
me that CI 8:15am flight is full, they can get me on 5pm flight which is about 11 hours transit and TPE is
not allowing anybody in the country, we will have to stay inside the Airport. And after two days of trying, waiting
for hours on phone, still not been able to talk to Expedia. I get discounted while waiting.

If I purchase TPE-OKA flight (AirAsia has seats for $50), would that be a problem while checking in at
SFO since one segment is missing and also on our return flight from KIX. Since I will not be using
on segment of the ticket would rest of the itinerary get voided.

Thanks,
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MZahir
If I purchase TPE-OKA flight (AirAsia has seats for $50), would that be a problem while checking in at
SFO since one segment is missing and also on our return flight from KIX. Since I will not be using
on segment of the ticket would rest of the itinerary get voided.

Thanks,
There won't be an issue with using a new ticket TPE-OKA other than you might have to retrieve baggage in TPE (I guess if they cancelled the onward flight to OKA, then there's a 100% chance you are getting your bags first). Let's say TPE-OKA was not cancelled but you wanted a hedge. Eva does not know you have a second ticket. If you flew the Air Asia flight you'd just be a no show on the Eva amended itinerary.

The risks are many - They will cancel the return from TPE-SFO if you no show for whatever they gin up to get you to OKA. It is nothing different than a no show on the TPE-OKA leg. Or you could change the ticket to be a R/T SFO-TPE which might make it a big issue as it will then look like a trip to TPE which as you say, is banned. Can you check in at SFO and argue you have an onward flight on Air Asia, so it is a de facto connection? I bet they won't buy that. Take their connecting flight 11 hours layover, or not. So get Expedia to reroute you including the 11 hour layover in TPE airport, or don't go. I would agree if they simply fail to route you to OKA and you cannot fly and stay in TPE, you have an overall cancellation where a full refund would seem the only fair thing to do.

They have not cancelled your flight to OKA (yet) as far as they are concerned if they get you there on another carrier.

Can't you check your trip on Eva's site with your PNR or ticket number and see if they rebooked you already? They know TPE-OKA is not flying, so they should rebook you without your needing to ask a travel agent to do it.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At this point, I would not make separate reservations given all the uncertainties. Also remember since baggage claim is after immigration, you can't really go get your bags and check it to the next flight.

BR should reaccommodate you. If you refund and change it to another airline, my suggestion is to do US-Japan without going through another country. That adds to complications nowadays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.